Advice on first non-kit Brew (IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

603Brew

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

So I am going to pick up the ingredients for this today. I'm doing a 2.5 gallon batch as I'd like to try to get as many under my belt in the early going to see what I like/don't like, etc.

I can't decide if I should go with 1lb or 0.5lb Caramel/Crystal 20, what do you think?

3lb Breiss Golden Light Extract
1lb Caramel/Crystal 20 (steep 30 mins)
0.5lb Corn Sugar

0.5oz Magnum 60 min
0.5oz Cascade 30 min
0.25oz Citra 15 min
0.25oz Citra 10 min
0.25oz Citra 5 min
0.25oz Citra 0 min
1.0oz Citra Whole Leaf (7 Day Dry Hop)

Using Safale US-05 American Yeast

Should be around 75 IBU, 6.6% ABV (based on Tastybrews calculator)

What do you think? Is 1lb Caramel/Crystal 20 too much?

Thanks!

Sounds solid. I'd maybe consider using more Extract and not going with Corn Sugar, but if you want a drier beer that's your preference. I used half a pound of caramel 40 in my IIPA so a pound of caramel 20 shouldn't be too bad. If you don't like the results you can always tweak a recipe.

For small n batches like that, for my ipa's, I've only gone with a half lb of crystal. The extra might make out more sweet? That's why I like the small batches, so you can see where they turn out, and it doesn't cost much. I think either way it'll turn out great with all that citra!

I would just go with a 1/2 lb for only a 2.5 gallon batch. I also agree about the corn sugar. I would bump the extract up to 3.5 lb and nix the corn sugar.

For 2.5 gallons I'd say a full pound of C20 is probably a bit on the high side and would probably go with a half pound. When it comes to specialty malts, I usually start with restrained amounts, then adjust higher or lower with future batches. Worst case scenario is you brew a beer missing a little bit of character, rather than overpowering the rest of the flavors with one particular malt. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Definitely cut the crystal malt in half, at least! You can go with 4-6 ounces, even.

I'd cut the magnum at 60 too. I like firm bittering, but that beer will be much more bitter than hoppy with that much magnum (and the cascade at 30 minutes) so I'd reduce that a bit. Increase the citra to .5 ounce additions.

sweed, I was thinking the same. Have you been using Caramel/Crystal 20? My LHBS doesn't have 10, so 20 is the lightest available to me. How has the 0.5lb been working for you?

Thanks!

Yooper, so you think maybe I should do:

0.25 magnum 60
0.25 cascade 30
0.50 citra 15
0.50 citra 10
0.50 citra 5
0.50 citra 0
1.00 citra whole leaf 7 day

?

EDIT: cascade 30, not 60
And yeah, I'll cut back on the Crystal

sweed, I was thinking the same. Have you been using Caramel/Crystal 20? My LHBS doesn't have 10, so 20 is the lightest available to me. How has the 0.5lb been working for you?

Thanks!

I've only used 40 with my ipas. Turns a great light copper/ copper color. I'll have to experiment next time with other crystal.

Latest posts

Back