BIAB bag lift suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
Did my first 10 gallon AG BIAB last week, with a 20 LB (dry) grain bill. Had another pair of hands available, so we managed to wrestle the bag out of the pot and squeeze it gently. However, I often brew myself and would like to do this unaided. So, next time I plan to position my 8' stepladder over the brewpot and mount a pulley across the upper section. Any ideas on how to attach a rope to the bag without concentrating the streess in one spot? My bag is a voile curtain with a 1/2" cotton webbing threaded through the rod pocket for a drawstring. I'd likie to be able to let it hang for a few minutes and allow gravity to squeeze the final malty goodness out.

I've been wondering this myself - figuring the bag will rip. So far I have taken the approach of splitting the grain into 2 bags, but this won't help you with this larger batch.

I've wantged to make one of these trays to rest the grains in , but my smaller batches and split grain bill has allowed me to use a large strainer from NB.

I BIAB in a Bajou Classic 11 gallon pot, and have the matching perferated basket. A five gallon paint strainer bag fits snugly around the perferated basket. When my mash/mashout is done, I pull the perferated basket and the grain bag with it. I let it drain for about 30 seconds, then move the basket and grain bag to my old five gallon pot. The lid for my 5 gallon pot fits INSIDE the basket, so I can use that as a PRESS to squeeze the bag into the 5 gallon pot with much more force than I would ever get squeezing it. It also only takes me about 5 minutes to get a good 60-75% of the wort out of the bag, which is about the most you can hope for anyway.

Anyway, with this method, I only have to lift the bag out of my BIAB pot for a few seconds to move it over to my smaller pot. You could use the same method for a 20 lb grain bill.

Even if you just have an extra pot at home, you could probably go to your local kitchen supply and get a real sturdy steamer shelf that fits in your pot along with a smaller lid that fits in your pot and accomplish the same thing I'm doing with my perferated basket. That would probably only cost you about $30-40.

Let me know if you have any questions!

I have my old 7.5 gallon turkey fryer I use to brew in. I tried to get the matching SS strainer but the only thing I could find was aluminum. Perhaps I'll look and see if there's a larger basket that is SS and will fit inside a 15 gallon boilermaker without bending the dip tube.

See, this is what I don't get about BIAB...how is building a lift to use to hoist the grain bag easier than building a cooler mash tun?

BIAB does get much more complicated when you start talking about larger grain bills, but it still can't be beat for it's simplicity for up to 15lb or so grain bills. It's one of the shortcomings, for sure, but it doesn't affect you at all if you stick to 5-6 gallon batches, which is most everyone.

See, this is what I don't get about BIAB...how is building a lift to use to hoist the grain bag easier than building a cooler mash tun?

I agree that the time to build either is similar but the process on brew day is much simpler. Less vessels, less chances for mistakes/temp loss, etc.

BIAB: Heat water in kettle, dough-in, cover, wait, remove bag, squeeze, boil.

MLT: Heat water in HLT, transfer to MLT, dough-in, cover, wait, vorlauf, repeat, drain, add sparge water, stir, vorlauf, repeat, drain, boil.

Also, I have mad respect for you so don't take my post the wrong way!

I close the bag and gather it at the top. I then wrap and tie the bag off w/ a rope, and then loop the rope over a smple hook in the basement cieling...35 lbs grain last batch. I don't use this exact knot...but you get the idea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Millers-Knot-with-Bag-ABOK-1241.jpg

Thinking of using one of these lashing straps for my next batch, tie the bag and use the strap and metal fitting to hoist....the strap wont back off and the bag will hang and drain without holding the business end of a rope...definately doing this, mental note!
http://www.harborfreight.com/set-of-2-1-inch-x-12-ft-lashing-straps-67386.html

I use a short piece of rope tied in a loop. Slip it around the top of my gathered "wilser" bag and hoist with a truck tie-down...

One way to find out Denny, hell I'll mail you out a free bag! C'mon you know you want to try it:) j/k

I use cooler mash tuns in the Dennybrew style (thanks for that idea!), as well as do BIAB. I like both methods...neither is really easier or better IMO.

Also, I have mad respect for you so don't take my post the wrong way!

ditto

Lashing straps, ratchet straps, or if you really want to go big...a come-a-long :D

no no no the come-along is for the 40 LB grain bill!!!:D Honestly, I was quite impressed with the strength of the voile fabric. The weak point IMHO is finding a lifting point that will distribute the weight and avoid tears.

Anyone thought about a hops spider type assembly? Pop it on after the mash is complete.

I use a turkey fryer and bought a perforated basket at Academy for $11. I can only use the basket with small grain bills, though. I have thought about bunching up the top of the bag and using a rope; that way I can use larger grain bills, but I always worried my bag would tear.

I never squeeze the bag. After dipping it several times in the 168-F plain water in my main kettle, I will use the cabinet door directly above to hold the bag and let it drain. The force of the cabinet door combined with the weight from a heavy flour jar keeps the bag in place. After this step, I'll place the bag in a bowl. Whatever liquid comes out after 10 minutes, I'll pour into the kettle.

I used to have walmart voile material, but I burnt holes in those and I've been using Lowes paint strainer bags. The paint strainer bags work very well, but I don't think they are as strong.

Yes...If i understand what you are asking? I don't use that exact knot, but rather tie it securely w/ a rope that is plenty strong to handle the weight. Yes, the bag does not slip through the rope. Done this many times without issues.

Maybe we should be using the "beer knot"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_knot

I think i'll do a dry run with a garbage bag full of water to perfect my technique. Easier than cleaning up sticky grains!!! Thanks for giving me some things to think about.

One way to find out Denny, hell I'll mail you out a free bag! C'mon you know you want to try it:) j/k

I use cooler mash tuns in the Dennybrew style (thanks for that idea!), as well as do BIAB. I like both methods...neither is really easier or better IMO.

ditto

Uh, thanks, but I really have no desire to build a lift to hoist 20+ lb. of hot, wet grain. I just don't understand why anybody would think that's an easy way to brew.

I put a large eye bolt in my roof overhang. Hang a tiedown from that. I'm in the shade and I built nothing. A friend picks up the spent grain for "Doggy Beer Bonz". Easy peazy...

Uh, thanks, but I really have no desire to build a lift to hoist 20+ lb. of hot, wet grain. I just don't understand why anybody would think that's an easy way to brew.

Ratchet-strap. Done.

I had this problem yesterday with 15.5 lbs of grain on the stove. I have my brother there to help but the bottom line is there is no way to put a hook above stove. There's a cabinet about 18" above it and it would not be strong enough to bolt anything.
So, I opened the bag and put about half of the grains in a strainer to drain. Then and only then was I able to lift the bag out the pot. It's a pain in the ass for sure but I normally don't do 15 lbs and try to stay under 12. But even then, its a chore.
I'd love to figure out a way to do this other than moving the pot to the floor and then do the 'ladder' trick.

Here's an idea, make yourself something similar to a ladder, scaled down smaller. A simple miniature saw-horse of sorts. Screw an eye-bolt into the bottom of that and place it above the bag on brew day.

I would think the steamer basket is the ideal way to go though...minus the interference with a pickup-tube or heating elements.

Can you use two smaller bags in the pot next to each other? Side by side bags in the same pot?
So you in effect reduce the weight by half!

Can you use two smaller bags in the pot next to each other? Side by side bags in the same pot?
So you in effect reduce the weight by half!

Sure. I wonder if efficiency would be slightly affected, but I'd guess not enough to make it prohibitive. More of a pain to manage two bags, one going under/over the other, two things to open, stir, close, etc...but if it beats lifting one heavy bag...more power to you. :mug:

I am not sure about that, same amount of grain so it should be very close to the same!

Ok what about doing one bag with half in it, dough in real good, slide a second bag down inside it with the other half in it and dough in the second half.
Bag inside of bag method.

BIABB method! I am going to claim my new technique :) hehehe Brew In A Bag Bag.

You don't actually stir after dough in is done and grain bed is set. So I would think bag inside bag would work just fine.

Gotta try it myself now:)

I use 5 gallon paint straining bags from Lowes. Pull the elastic over the handles, it give me about 6 inches of clearence between the bottom of my grain bag and pot. When its time to pull the bag I put a wire cooling rack (2 bucks at Reading China and Glass) across the top of the pot, then the fryer basket from my turkey pot on top of that. Holds it in place while I use my bottling bucket to slowly sparge the bag with 1-2 gallons of water. This way if I have to walk away to do something else I don't have to worry about where to put the bag.

ForumRunner_20120611_185803.jpg

Sure. I wonder if efficiency would be slightly affected, but I'd guess not enough to make it prohibitive. More of a pain to manage two bags, one going under/over the other, two things to open, stir, close, etc...but if it beats lifting one heavy bag...more power to you. :mug:

As long as you stir the grains well in each bag, it should work great!

Look, I know that for a lot of people BIAB is a great solution. But for me and the beers I brew, there's no way it's gonna be easier than what I do right now.

I put a ladder above my pot, tie a knot in the top of my bag, then thread the business end of this: http://www.roperatchet.com/ through the knot. Hook the other end of the ratchet (which I got for $12 or something like that at Home Depot) to the top of the ladder and I'm good to go. One you've got a tight knot, the ratchet makes it easy to lift the bag.

Oh, and I've got a WilserBag, and I assure you, it is _very_ strong. Most I've used is 17lbs of grain, but it had absolutely no problems.

Lots of ways to skin this cat.

Some great suggestions here...thanks.
I am going to visit Lowes and check this small saw horse out. It's says it's 25" tall. Then get the rope ratchet they also sell.

I'll still need to move my heavy pot off the stove to fit the saw horse on the counter but I can do that, even with 8 gallons of water in the pot. Won't be perfect but I can then do this alone when I have no choice. I would love a smaller saw horse and may just make one myself instead.

Look, I know that for a lot of people BIAB is a great solution. But for me and the beers I brew, there's no way it's gonna be easier than what I do right now.

You'll get no pressure from me bud.. To each his own. :D

I put a ladder above my pot, tie a knot in the top of my bag, then thread the business end of this: http://www.roperatchet.com/ through the knot. Hook the other end of the ratchet (which I got for $12 or something like that at Home Depot) to the top of the ladder and I'm good to go. One you've got a tight knot, the ratchet makes it easy to lift the bag.

Oh, and I've got a WilserBag, and I assure you, it is _very_ strong. Most I've used is 17lbs of grain, but it had absolutely no problems.

Lots of ways to skin this cat.

+1 on the ratchet. Made it easier to brew when there is no assistant brewer available.

+1 on the Wilderbags as well.

Back