What happened to the 6pack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noid

Reaction score
I have been stocking up my beer fridge for the Holidays and when I have gone out seeking some of the classic seasonal brews from our micro-brew friends, I find that a lot of them have gone to a 4 pack or a 20oz bottle and the price per oz of beer is about double or more! I know costs have gone up, but come on....... why do away with the 6 pack?

My local 'huge' beer selection store if removing 6 pack space and bringing in more 20oz beers. I get most folks want to try as many as possible, but 20oz?

Well anyway, it makes my case for brewing my own to save money even stronger. I make a clone of one of the beers that was changed to a 4 pack, it it use to cost $40 a case, now it costs $60+, I can make it for less than $25 a case even using bottled water!

The bomber bottle size is perfect for holiday beers, pours perfect amount for three to try it out.

It's cheaper for the brewery to bottle in 22oz bottles and takes them less time... Not sure about why they are more expensive though, I always wondered that myself

I think it's the $10 threshold phenomenon. Just like pounds of coffee beans. When pounds of coffee began to eclipse the $10 mark, they reduced the bag sizes to 12 ounces. I think it's the same thing with 6-packs reduced to 4-packs. That said, a 6-pack of Gansett pounders (Porter, Fest, Bock) is a wicked good deal at $9 or less.

Lots of things that used to come in 16 ounce containers now come in 15, 14, or 12 ounces. Even stuff like tuna that now comes in an odd size so the company can appear to have not raised prices over the years.

Sucks if you are working from an old family recipe.

It pays to try a bunch of beer. I've found that some reasonably priced beer tastes better to me than an "equivalent" of another brand. YMMV.

Latest posts

Back