hops and chain link

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchuklobrau

Reaction score
Just got my new fence around the yard, part of it is along the back of my biergarten/hops farm. I plan on having the hops grow up the fence and then have twine up to my cable 20ft up. while im sure hops will grow up the fence like gangbusters how hard is it to get em out of it at the end of the season? Is it even necessary to remove em? can I trim the plant as usual and just leave the bine in the fence? or does this promote fungus?

My first thought was that(you should read my sig before my answer) it would be a bear to pull the vines out of the fence at the end of the season. There might also be weight issues depending on how many vines you have on it. I do not know about the fungus, but if it is like other plants, the woody stem is not a problem.

It's very hard to remove them. You could try burning them during the winter once they're crispy dry but personally, I don't like to leave anything around that can harbor any type of pest. After growing things all my life and having some bad experiences with situations like this I'd get rid of the old vines. That's just me though.

Mine are on a chain link fence. I pull the dead bines in march. I can't burn in my area, i would be arrested.

I have 9 plants and three of them are growing up chain link. The fence is 6 feet and I literally train the bines to grow along the fence which requires some daily care. This year I left the last years bines on the fence from one of the plants. I think it looks cool but my wife thinks it looks a bit trashy. Pulling them out is a bit difficult. I use my pruners and cut them about every 2 feet to pull out. I'm sure burning them would be a pain and color up your fencing.

Latest posts

Back