Oysters.. who loves 'em?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Searched but can't find any threads on oysters. Who loves 'em.. how do you eat them.

Myself.. I love grabbing a dozen from the market, and shucking them, and eating them with no sauces or anything, save a little lemon juice or hot sauce. Goes great with homebrew!

I like to get 'em fresh off the beach, but where I live you can get fresh Hood Canal oysters anywhere. I like 'em with a little lemon juice and/or garlic butter. I also like 'em breaded, fried and served with a little homemade tarter sauce.

I love oysters! I really prefer the west coast variates but had some really good one from Texas a few months ago. I don't eat them often (Wisconsin isn't exact a big oyster producer), but I love them when I can get them.

i prefer half shell, with hot sauce on a couple. I'm not big on the lemon.

I thought they were just OK because for the longest time I got them steamed. Then many moons ago I was at Mardi Gras and was talked into trying them raw (hooray beer) and discovered that for me, they're way better raw. Milder, better flavor imo (which is the opposite of what I expected).

But I still eat 'em like a noob, on a cracker with cocktail sauce (extra horseradish preferred but Tabasco will do).

Apparently, oysters were way more popular a long time ago in this country (and way more prevalent). Like, hugely popular. I guess people loved them so much they ate 'em all.

I love em any way I can get em......

My first choice is raw with a drop of Tabasco and a bit of horse radish...second choice would be freshly shucked, rolled in cracker crumbs and then flash fried.

Pacific Northwest Oysters for sure! I love them raw with just a few drops of lemon, or the way my local sushi joint serves them up really nice with some light soy and a few other little bits of goodness.

+1 My favorite is Oysters Rockefeller but I'll take em any way I can get em

I'm a big fan of bearded clams too

I like them raw with a bit of malt vinegar, which you can almost never get them in a restaurant that way so with lemon or lime works for me too.

We just got home from South Texas last night, and one of my favorite things was oysters! I think I ate my weight in oysters.

I like them best plain on the half shell with maybe a dash of hot sauce. The oysters were great this year- very briny. The cool thing is we harvested many of them ourselves.

I used many in a marinara sauce over pasta. I fried a few in super hot coconut/peanut oil with a light coating. On the grill is good (cook 'em until they open).

Last weekend was OysterFest where we were staying this winter. Here's a picture of a portion of my dinner last Saturday night:
oysterfest.jpg

Raw on ice with Tobasco and Horseraddish. I can do a dozen before I want to puke.

Only a dozen? :D I ate dozens at a time, seriously. Sometimes with lemon and horseradish, sometimes plain, sometimes with tabasco. Bob just shook his head- he'd eat a couple and say it's enough. I'd grab another dozen or so.

oysters on half shell the best, its fun to bring them home, shuck them to death and eat them. What varieties are there here in west coast that are good? I got some fanny bay a few weeks back and it felt like I was drinking super salty water they sucked...

ohh and yooper you even got to harvest them I dont know how that goes I'm from the city haha

Super jealous Yooper.. that's awesome.

Friend of mine is moving to Savanah and is starting an oyster farm. He smuggled some back to Canada for me, and I traded some homebrew.

I had tried them twice in the past and thought I hated them. Once on a buffet in Honolulu, and once out of a can. Got sick both times.

Then I went to a cajun restaurant this past December where I had them raw and fresh with a dash of Cholula. Holy crap. I couldn't stop eating them.

Now, if only my wife weren't allergic to shellfish.

Fresh and raw is great.....;)

DREAM COME TRUE

I worked at a 4 star fancy dining room (Seelbach oak room if anyone cares) as a busser for a few years while in school at U of L.

One year around derby, No servers wanted to work a raw bar outside the oak room (first time they did it) because no one thought that the huge room would be so busy that people would have to wait out there.

they were right.;) SO I got a few tips, and crammed myself with 4 kinds of raw oysters and cocktail shrimp the size of small miniature dogs.

I didn't get sick, but I had funny dreams and nearly allowed myself to be seduced by our not too attractive (female) roommate......

My favorite is still a dash of tobasco in the shell.

a close second (not offered on the raw bar;)) is pan fried in corn meal seasoned with essence, and swished through a 50%tobasco 50% lemonjuice sauce.

I love them but I have to have hot sauce and lemon. Sometimes I even throw a sliced jalapeño on it.

I couldn't pass up this thread. The act of opening oysters is the basis of my username. My favorite way to eat oysters depends on the size, type and time of the year. When they are small and at their best I like nothing more then a little lemon in the brine. If they are spawning or larger I like them pan fried in panko or if they are really big, grilled on the bbq.

Next month I'm helping organize an oyster tasting event to raise awareness about the Olympia oyster. These little beauties that are native to the west coast of North America and almost went extinct but now making a small come back. Ark of Taste : Olympia Native Oyster : Slow Food USA

Searched but can't find any threads on oysters. Who loves 'em.. how do you eat them.

Myself.. I love grabbing a dozen from the market, and shucking them, and eating them with no sauces or anything, save a little lemon juice or hot sauce. Goes great with homebrew!

Never cooked.

A bit of wasabi or Horse Radish and some Tobasco/Louisiana chili sauce.

These little beauties that are native to the west coast of North America and almost went extinct but now making a small come back. Ark of Taste : Olympia Native Oyster : Slow Food USA

Just over the crown of extinction and you are hosting a awareness tasting event?

Ha! Only in america folks.

"Hey, lets raise awareness regarding the extinction of a species by serving them up on a plate!"

I am a fan of west coast over east coast by far (don't find them as salty, usually tobasco and lemon), but was down in NOLA not to long ago and had the pleasure of eating at Drago's. Love the raw oysters but fell in love with the charbroiled. Garlic butter, herbs, bread crumbs. Had to go back a few nights later for more.

b

Had some grilled with lemon juice, white wine and parmesan a couple weeks back. Holy sh*t these little things are tasty.

I'm thinking I may need to buy a glove and knife...

Had some grilled with lemon juice, white wine and parmesan a couple weeks back. Holy sh*t these little things are tasty.

I'm thinking I may need to buy a glove and knife...

No need if you grill 'em. Just throw 'em on and they open op on their own as they cook, then you add to them right in the shell.

I like em on the half shell with lemon hot sauce or horsey sauce. Deep fried are good also

My favorite is to dip them in egg and then finely crushed saltine cracker crumbs and pan fry them in olive oil and butter. Server with homemade tartar sauce.

I am a fan of west coast over east coast by far (don't find them as salty, usually tobasco and lemon), but was down in NOLA not to long ago and had the pleasure of eating at Drago's. Love the raw oysters but fell in love with the charbroiled. Garlic butter, herbs, bread crumbs. Had to go back a few nights later for more.

b

Wait- charbroiled and then served with garlic butter, herbs and bread crumbs over the top? Charbroiled in or out of the shell?!? Do tell! I have less than two months before I get my share of fresh oysters, and that sounds amazingly good!

Wait- charbroiled and then served with garlic butter, herbs and bread crumbs over the top? Charbroiled in or out of the shell?!? Do tell! I have less than two months before I get my share of fresh oysters, and that sounds amazingly good!

see here. looks like it was cheese not bread crumbs, although a mix of the two would be nice. makes me hungry just reading about it.

b

So when the oysters crack on the grill, do you pry the top off with something, or do you just sort of slip the extra ingredients into the shell?

I like to leave the top shell on and just kind of pry it open a little more. Just an aesthetic thing for me.

It can be hard to find good fresh ones here in landlocked AZ, but I found a couple places that go though enough, and use proper storage methods, that they always have good fresh stuff on hand. I prefer them raw on the 1/2 shell with a little lemon, or with some light soy and a sliver of fresh jalapeno.

Back