Question about secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben_Persitz

Reaction score
I want to rack my dead guy clone to a secondary after 15 days in the primary. Then I want to cold crash it for a week and rack to my keg for two weeks of carbing at about 12 psi.

I've never used a secondary and I'm nervous about oxygen exposure. How do you properly rack to a secondary? How can I minimize oxygen exposure?

Would it be better to just cold crash in the primary for w few days instead?

you rack to a secondary just like you do a keg or bottling bucket. nothing special. if your worried about the air in the head space purge it with the CO2 from your keging system. let the CO2 tank run for a few seconds with the tube in the carboy then begin racking. when done make sure you fill the head space with CO2 and cap with an airlock.

When racking, immerse the hose - minimal air exposure. Then after your keg is full, cap it, pressurize and pull the pressure relief valve. This essentially pushes the air out of the headspace and replaces it with CO2.

Back