Will this work for filtering my mash? PART 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
I spent a lot more time, strategy (and money) on this one. Been sawing like crazy. I had not idea that speed was important to the drain, but was well informed with my last post. OK, here's the new one (SWMBO snuck her hand into the picture).

So, will it work?

http://www.anotherprofile.com/beer/agstuff2.html

Also, I heard someone say they put the slits facing down, what do you'll recommend? I'm going to fit some tubing to the end near the draining hole and run it through a cork.

That looks a 1000 times better! good job!

I would put the slits down for 2 reasons.
1. the grains won't compact onto the slits.
2. with them down you will be able to get the wort from the bottom of the tun. Less wasted wort. :mug:

Looks good.

The face down thing is for 2 reasons but I'd say it doesn't really mater.
If the slot are below the level of the spigot and you have a tube on the outlet you will have a siphon effect going. But in reality this probably won't happen because your fittings won't be airtight and your slots will go close to half way or past. So the level won't be any difference than if you have them on the top.
Then there is husks blocking the slots on top but because the slots are also at 90° on the tube this won't matter.
I don't think I've heard of anyone with a slotted manifold getting a stuck sparge. The seem to work well.

Back