Reasons not to drink barleywine while brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaynardX

Reaction score
I made my first batch of all grain yesterday and it didn't go as smooth as I hoped. Part of the reason was probably due to drinking a few DFH "Olde Schools" during the mash. Here is what happened:

1. Forgot to add my Irish Moss to the boil.

2. Sometime while taking temperature readings, I dropped my probe thermometer too far into the wort, causing the it to mess up. Because it wasn't working, I accidentally chilled my wort to 50 degrees.

3. Added leaf hops without a hop bag and clogged the ball valve on my kettle.

4. Proceeded to attempt an auto-siphon and gummed it up immediately.

5. Grabbed a bucket to strain the hops out of the wort. After straining, I realized I grabbed the wrong one (wasn't sanitized).

I guess all in all, it wasn't too bad. I didn't quite get the efficiency i hoped for, but I expected that on my first batch. I'm just worried about an infection setting in. :(

When I saw that I had grabbed the wrong bucket I about cried! Everything was going so well, until I started chilling my wort. Oh well. The fermenter just started bubbling about 30 minutes ago (started within 16 hours), so I hope everything turns out ok. :)

If it is one of those wire probe thermometers, place the probe in the oven and set the oven to 375.

Once the temperature reaches 350, the probe will reset itself.

Make sure the digital readout part of the thermometer is outside the oven :D

Back