Cream Ale Colorado Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ooompa Loompa

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast 1028
Yeast Starter
Yup
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
8.9 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days at 69 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days at 69 degress
7 lbs LME
6 oz Cara Pils
12 oz Honey malt
8 oz Crystal 10L
8 oz lactose (added at bottling)

1 oz Willamette Leaf (5.4% AA) @ 60 min
.5 oz Willamette Leave (5.4% AA) @ 5 min

Steep grains in 2 gallons of water at 152 degrees for 30 minutes. Bring to a boil. Add the LME. Bring back to a boil and add 1 oz Willamette. Boil for 55 min then add the last half oz Willamette, boil for another 5 min then remove from heat and cool. Add to 3 gallons water and pitch the starter of Wyeast 1056. I let this one go for 10 days in the primary, then another 10 days in the secondary.

I bottled conditioned, and at bottling time I dissolved my priming sugar(standard 5 oz of corn sugar) and 8 oz of lactose into about 3 cups of water, and added to the bottling bucket.

This beer turned out wonderfully. It is definately not to the traditional style of a cream ale, but it's great none the less. It is really smooth and creamy, and has a malty sweet flavor to it. I've let a bunch of people try this and all have them have thought it was delicous. In fact I'm down to 10 bottles of it left, and will probably be brewing up another batch soon.

Has anyone tried this? How does it taste?

I was thinking of making a Maple Cream Ale and using this as a starting point since it has a sweeter taste to it.

Any suggestions?

I like the sounds of this. I have been looking to try a cream ale and since I was born in CO I think this is the winner!

I just did a similar recipe today. I used 7 lbs. LME, 1 lb. Carapils, 1 lb. honey malt, .75 oz. cascade at start of boil, and .25 oz. of cascade with 10 minutes left. Also added 1 0z. sweet orange peel at 10 minutes left. Used WLP080 yeast, and hope it turns out good. Will update as it progresses.

Are there any new updates? This sounds delicious and would like to try this. Thanks

Back