Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard a number of people, mostly young microbrew knowitalls and homebrewers, claim that hops are in the same family as, and in many ways similar to, that other popular budding plant.

I hate know-it-alls as much as the next guy but...

Kingdom: Plantae
(unranked): Angiosperms
(unranked): Eudicots
(unranked): Rosids
Order: Rosales
Family: Cannabaceae
Genus: Humulus
Species: H. lupulus

I've heard a number of people, mostly young microbrew knowitalls and homebrewers, claim that hops are in the same family as, and in many ways similar to, that other popular budding plant.

The worse are those know it alls that really do know more than you

It is. A resiny, psychoactive (though far less so) in the plant family Cannabaceae.

Not only that, this family only has two members. That is not very common. Go up one level to the Order, and it is related to Nettles (and mulberrries, and elms)! It is not in Rosales - at least this year. The taxonomists keep switching things up.

Plants families -USDA site - LOVE this website

Not only that, this family only has two members. That is not very common. Go up one level to the Order, and it is related to Nettles (and mulberrries, and elms)! It is not in Rosales - at least this year. The taxonomists keep switching things up.

Plants families -USDA site - LOVE this website

That seems outdated, which is surprising from the USDA (I think). It used to be true until pretty recently, but as far as I'm aware, a third, much larger genus has been moved into the family... Celtis aka hackberries.

Interesting things I've heard about beer:

It seems that a large portion of the public considers Guinness, in its various forms, to be a very strong beer, even "the strongest beer we serve." Granted it's nearly jet black, and your average American (at least Californian) beer drinker probably doesn't drink it regularly, but it seems very weak and thin to me. Wiki says it ranges from 4-5% ABV in the US, but it drinks surprisingly like water IMO. I'm sure some of that has to do with the nitrogen carb. If I'm looking for a strong beer, I'll order (or make) an oatmeal or double chocolate stout, or a scotch ale, or maybe a St. Bernardus Abt 12. (This ought to spark some interesting comments.)

emjay said:
That seems outdated, which is surprising from the USDA (I think). It used to be true until pretty recently, but as far as I'm aware, a third, much larger genus has been moved into the family... Celtis aka hackberries.

Even in Forestry school we didn't bother much with learning Orders. Plant classification is a dynamic science and the more we learn about it the more we realize how little we know. I leave it up to those who are in the proper pay grade.

Even in Forestry school we didn't bother much with learning Orders. Plant classification is a dynamic science and the more we learn about it the more we realize how little we know. I leave it up to those who are in the proper pay grade.

Well, these are not quite orders but families. Either way, taxonomy is really just a human way of categorizing things, and you're right, a lot of it is of little importance even for most biologists.

Second this. Nothing higher than family is relevant at school, and even that changes frequently.

This is a more interesting side discussion than some, like that terrible statistics derail. Or was that the stupid comments thread?

Buffalo Wing Factory and beer menu says "Magic Hat #9 - English Pale Ale".

I've never had one. I tried it.

egads, I'm going to sue someone

Because you didnt like it or because its not an English Pale Ale? I'm still not as up on my styles as I would like to be.

GrogNerd said:

Blame the brewer:

"A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it. "

GrogNerd said:

I found this review of that beer particularly funny. I had no idea that Bud and Coors were "reds":

"Overall - This is how Magic Hat got to where they are. Makes sense, this is a decent fruit beer that represents almost like a crossover between domestic "reds" like Coors or Bud and into the micro scene through fruit flavor. I give it between a 3 and a 4 because my under 3 is reserved for domestics and other brews that I consider "below-average". This brew is slightly above-average, so I have rated it as such."

Because you didnt like it or because its not an English Pale Ale? I'm still not as up on my styles as I would like to be.

it's definitely a fruit beer. I have issues with fruit in my food. fruit can be food and I don't like food in my food.

Blame the brewer:

"A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it. "

please... it's a friggin fruit beer

kinda... Apercotty, no? It is a good gateway beer though.

kinda? felt like I was being shot in the face with an apricot cannon

Im officially letting an opportunity to mention fruit pie go.

I knew you would remember. I went looking for that thread, looks like it got deleted.

now, if some homebrewer came up to me and said, "here's a English pale ale that I threw into secondary with some apricots" I would absolutely try it out.

different story when I'm paying for a pint.

I'll keep trying fruit beers, maybe I'll run into one that I like. (isn't this the definition of insanity?)

Personally I like #9. Its not my favorite, but I like it. I didnt know they used actual fruit... I thought it was a flavor note from the fermentation process/yeast.

whatever hops/yeast combination that could yield it, it is a helluva flavor note.

Total Wine says it's an APA, Beer Advocate puts it in the fruits & veggies section and BJCP lists it as an example of Category 20 — Fruit Beer

Not to be the grammar/spelling Nazi, but your spelling of Yuengling reminded me of a story about myself. Yuengling wasn't available near me until a couple years ago. In my early drinking days, I'd hear people talking about it and think, "Yingling? Is that Chinese?"

Haha...right after I typed that, I thought, "I don't think that's how that's spelled". Only had it that one time. I knew that it wasn't an Asian beer though.

"Magic Hat #9 - English Pale Ale".

I wasn't crazy about it either. My local supermarket had it & I thought I'd try it because it was one of the only choices on the shelf with pry-off caps, and I needed a few more bottles...

Once bitten twice shy I guess.

#9 is actually pretty good mixed black-and-tan style with Guinness...

But anyway, I actually had another funny beer comment overheard the other day. Beer came up as a topic, and this guy told me, "I only drink *good* beer...Bud Light Platinum!" (Heavy verbal emphasis on the Platinum...)

But anyway, I actually had another funny beer comment overheard the other day. Beer came up as a topic, and this guy told me, "I only drink *good* beer...Bud Light Platinum!" (Heavy verbal emphasis on the Platinum...)

:smack:

biochemedic said:

It has the word platinum in it, so you know it has to be good stuff. ;)

I'll keep trying fruit beers, maybe I'll run into one that I like. (isn't this the definition of insanity?)

Sounds like me and IPAs. I keep trying them, since I know that the cool kids all like IPAs. I've found one or two that I dislike less, but seeing as how I don't care for bitter, I just can't seem to find one that I like. Not surprising, since pale ales are not my favorite.

But I keep trying them.

homebrewdad said:
Sounds like me and IPAs. I keep trying them, since I know that the cool kids all like IPAs. I've found one or two that I dislike less, but seeing as how I don't care for bitter, I just can't seem to find one that I like. Not surprising, since pale ales are not my favorite.

But I keep trying them.

Best IPA that I've tried (for my palette) is the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA. I also liked Bear Republic Racer 5.

Not a fan of SN IPA, Torpedo, Lagunitas IPA, Stone IPA, Arrogant Bastard, etc.

I heard last night a guy say "the more it tastes like water, the better it is". I thought "buy an aquafina then u goof"...had to chuckle I guess.

But I keep trying them.

My wife also can't stand IPAs, except Bell's Two-Hearted. That's the only one she likes. Might be a place to start.

But I keep trying them.

+1 Your are not alone. Every time I taste a bitter beer I think of the old guy with the scrunched up face in Keystone's "Just say no to bitter-beer-face" commercials years ago.

Two hearted is amazing when it's fresh much like most ipas. It holds up worse than most with any age past a month and a half though. I think that is why a lot of people who don't like ipas think they like two hearted.

Back