Milk Stout Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clancey123

Reaction score
Getting ready to brew a milk stout. How long should i let it sit in primary before i bottle it. Wasn't planning on doing a secondary.

I would let it sit for precisely as long as it takes and not a moment longer.

But seriously it all depends. Gravity, temp and yeast all make a difference and it will be done when it's done. If it were I, and fermentation went off well and vigorous and the temp of the fermenter raised up for the first few days and then dropped off to the temp of the room I'm fermenting in, I would wait an additional 3 weeks after that to check gravity and then bottle if it was done.

I have brewed several batches of Chocolate Milk Stout...... based roughly on the Rouge recipe. Any stout/porter (EDIT: unless it's a imperial something something something) I brew tends to stay in the primary at least 4 weeks on yeast cake and then I rack to secondary where I add cocoa nibs and leave another 2-3 weeks before bottle/keg. It's all according to taste. The first time I ever brewed a traditional stout I had the beer bottled in less than 6 weeks not knowing that age made a difference. I wanted to drink the damn beer! It was good..... but not great. It took sitting in the bottles for a bit to make a better beer. Its worth it to not be in a hurry and just let the beer hang out and do its thing.

I brewed the Brewers Best Milk Stout kit. I think I had it in primary for 4 weeks, then kegged (my first kegging). For me, the flavor of the stout keeps improving with age. So, let it condition a while and it gets better!

Back