The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... and all my little boilover did was give you a wee bit of kettle caramelization. Sure, it was on the OUTSIDE of the kettle, but it's caramelization nonetheless.

TheDudeLebowski said:
I don't get it. If U1 was so good. Why would you change it?........

....tick.....tick.....tick

Don't you think that Michelangelo fretted over the Sistine Chapel ? Sure, it's pretty farkin good but is it the best? Of all time? Surely some proof is required?

So we experimented.
We was wrong. It was perfect as it was.

QED. Nuff said.

Just yankin' your chain PTN :)

Hey Blue. Are you going to Valley Malt's Barleyfest this weekend? I'm sure that's close to East BF. You could probably pick up the fresh 80lbs of quality malt you need.

Eyup:

barleyfest_LTR-791x1024.jpg

Antique tractor show? Young Men's club? Was Gerry Sandusky a past-president of that club? If only I didn't live so far away from E-BF Hadley. I don't think my GPS even knows where that is.

Although did Bird say they were doing a tour of the malting process? That would be pretty interesting.

By the way, anybody got any corny kegs they want to sell, before I order some online? I don't care if they're pin or ball.

paulthenurse said:
Before I head off to bed.

Blue. Read every 8th or so post on the original U1 thread. Everything we did is in there. A bit obfuscated, true, but in there.

Bird... You neglected mentioneing having an ex HBT hall monitor standing by to watch for boil overs...

Dakota... Until your check clears you have NO fingers to point. (By way of explanation... I sell my kegerator to Dakota in May. He gives me $5.00 as a deposit. As we are leaving on a 150 mile bike ride in the pouring rain in June he hands me a check, written in magic marker, for the balance. I'm ask him if he's serious. You had to be there to understand. It's farking raining buckets.

"Here's the check for the Kegerator."
"Are you serious?"
"Sure. It's good. Just cash it by today at noon."
"uhhh it's a farkin monsoon. How 'bout you pay me later? With cash."
"Sure. No problem."

I'm still waiting.

To Cape... 'Surely you enjoyed the last story... And stop calling me Shirley!!!"

You cashed the check! What are you taking about!?

And after I cleaned it up it works great!

Hey Dakota,
I hope you mean that you cleaned up the kegerator, and not the check that was in Paulie's back pocket for 100 miles. It might have been wet, but I don't think that "moisture" was from the rain.

This reminds me of an Abbot and Costello bit.

Paulie; Give me $200 cash for the kegerator.
Dakota: I only have $5, and a check for $195.
Paulie: OK, I'll take the $5, and a check, but you still owe me $195 cash too.

Kinda like the paperboy on the bicycle: I want my Toooo dolllahsssss.

Happy Late Oktoberfest to me. I've been twitching using my new ferm chamber. I've been waiting for my Marzen to complete lagering and I thought it would never come. I completely forgot about it this week with work overload until I just got a Google reminder to take it out of the chamber. Woohoo! If everything turns out well I may do a double brewday this weekend. Maybe a Saaz smash and/or Maibock.

:off: I've been also surfing Youtube lately. I may have to get into this Maine Zumba craze....

Man,

I'm having a bad day, at least beer wise. Feels like the second Monday of the week.

The first Monday of the week, I was told to drop everything, and plan on going out to San Diego next week for 3 days of meetings. Fly out Sunday, do some kind of work M-W, then fly home Thursday. I'm thinking, first, it sucks to have to fly for work on a Sunday, but I am going to San Diego, and I can figure out how to have a not suck time in an awesome microbrew town. So, OK, I can do this. Don't like flying cross country for only a few days, but WTF. It's getting cold here anyway.

So, over the last two days, weekend plans changed/cancelled, plane tix bought, hotel and car reservations made, and more than one hour spent figuring out how best to enjoy 4 nights in San Diego. Already have a hard sided pelican case ready for the trip as second luggage - to be able to ship home as much great beers as I can. My list is growing - Pliney the elder, Firestones, Stone, Ballast Point, Alesmith,,,,,,,,,,,,Do I need a third piece of luggage? Can I have a 3rd piece of luggage? How will I decide what to leave behind?

Then, an hour ago, boss calls. Trip's cancelled. San Diego isn't important anymore. Damn. I could taste the Pliney drafts, and already had plans on how not to get a hangover after drinking 7-10% beers all night, every night (water, vitamin B, and a big bucket of denial). Maybe I won't tell the wife the trips cancelled, and disappear for 4 days on the east coast. (yeah, like that's going to happen).

Must get San Diego off the mind. go out to lunch at a local "irish bar" Waxy O'sumthins. Had a taste of a wormtown "worcester's finest", supposedly a beer that is brewed in honor of firefighters, with a portion of proceeds going to fireman causes. Noble idea - but one of the worse beers I've had in months. Bartender appologized before serving me a sampler - I asked him what type of beer it was, and he just said - a mistake - tastes like swamp water, and they can't wait for the keg to kick. Had other Wormtown's that I liked, but they should just dump this in the Quabbin and start over.

Are we sure it's not still Monday, cause this week is full of suck.

I'd hope all of you are having a better week than me, but that'd be a lie. I'm a masshole. I hope you all still suck. I know most of you do.

Hmmm.. All of a sudden I'm feeling better.

On a plus note, after lunch, I scored a stainless table and push cart for $120 off of Craigslist. SWEET!

Hmmm, now I'm grinning. YOU ALL SUCK.

Now I'm almost smiling. Thanks for all your help, fellow Massholes.

Maybe I'll take part of tomorrow off and drive to VT to buy some of that Heady Topper stuff, or whatever it's called. Of course, with my luck, I'd pick the only Friday that the beer's not available, and blow $90 in gas on a round trip to nowhere. Damn. Just found another Monday.

stainless_table.jpg

no Stirrups, but I could have bought a paddle. Table was in great shape, and they've been pretty pricey on CL, so I'm happy. She didn't have a sink, but I'll keep my eyes open. I see them every now and then, but I ended up getting a huge sink last fall from another CL find. My problem is, my sink is almost TOO BIG. But then, Bigger is always Better! This one's about 8' long, and at the far end, it has a built in dishwasher/whirlpool pump that I haven't even plugged in yet.

beer_sink2.jpg

Call the alchemist if you are coming up. Let them know where you are coming from and they will save some heady topper for you. They are really nice in there. If you ask, they'll give you some stickers too.

no Stirrups, but I could have bought a paddle. Table was in great shape, and they've been pretty pricey on CL, so I'm happy. She didn't have a sink, but I'll keep my eyes open. I see them every now and then, but I ended up getting a huge sink last fall from another CL find. My problem is, my sink is almost TOO BIG. But then, Bigger is always Better! This one's about 8' long, and at the far end, it has a built in dishwasher/whirlpool pump that I haven't even plugged in yet.

I've got a big basement, it'll fit in mine! Tell you what, I'll take that off your hands, and anytime you've got a carboy to wash, you just come on over and use it. I'll even give you a beer.

My week has sucked almost as much as yours. I have had to wait all farkin week for tomorrow to get here before I can get on the plane to Dublin. Tiresome. Friggin' tiresome.

I'll be in London one week from today. Three days is London to watch the Pats demolish the Rams, then 3 Days in Ireland. Can't wait.

PTN if you see any Tom Crean's Larger on tap or in bottles I highly recommend it. It's made by Dingle Brewing Company. They have just recently started distributing it to locals around Dublin.

$100 for a stainless sink is a good deal, even if it needs some elbow grease, so I'd say go for it. I think that one would clean up pretty easy, and the size looks good.

Jealous of you guys going to the Pats game in London. I'm hoping a thrashing of the Jets this week, followed by a good game against the Rams will be enough to right this 3-3 team.

For the first time all year, I can say that I actually enjoyed watching some baseball last night - caught the last 4 innings of the Yankees getting spanked and swept by Detroit. I really, really hope the Yanks keep A-Rod next year. They'd be such a train wreck, it'd be hard to focus on another sucky year for the sox.

I don't see how they find anyone to trade for A-Rod. Maybe LA... no, I think their budget is filled up with our rejects. Talking about the Marlins, but I have to imagine that the Yanks would have to pay half his salary anyway.

I don't care if the Sox suck again next year, as long as they seem to be on the right track. I'd rather they took a season to develop some guys, maybe make a trade for some starting pitching but don't go out and overpay for mediocre free agents again - too many holes to all be filled in free agency. The young guys who seem to have true start potential are still a year or two away from the majors. I'd just like the team to be halfway likeable and watchable again.

And yeah, I think it's worth $100. I'll call this morning, Beckett isn't too far from me, I could pick it up this weekend.

Not sure wear my seats are yet. I let my wife plan the trip. There is a group of her co-workers from Mass General going, it was planned through a travel agency. We had the option of 6 nights in London, or 4 nights in London and 2 in Paris, or 3 in London and 3 in Ireland ( Shannon, Killarney, Dublin).

We felt 6 nights in London might be a little too long and neither of us have any desire to go to Paris. So we are making are third trip back to Ireland.

(Nodding in agreement).

I have to hit London once in a blue moon for work. It's not a bad city but if you're not doing the touristy Big Ben, Parliment stuff... It slows down big time in terms if stuff to do. Six days would be eternity.

(Nodding in agreement).

I have to hit London once in a blue moon for work. It's not a bad city but if you're not doing the touristy Big Ben, Parliment stuff... It slows down big time in terms if stuff to do. Six days would be eternity.

[ame="http://youtu.be/iAgX6qlJEMc"]http://youtu.be/iAgX6qlJEMc[/ame]

(Nodding in agreement).

Last summer my wife and I rented a car and toured Ireland for 10 days, with the plan of spending the first and last night in Dublin.
Then Hurricane Irene hit the east coast and stranded us in Dublin for an extra 5 days. Great city, but 7 days of it was way to much.

Agree that 3 days in London is plenty. Taking the night train to Edinborough and spending some time in the highlands would also be a good choice. Not exactly city stuff, but the highlands are so beautiful that pictures just can not express it. Folks in the highlands are down to earth too. Unlike those in London IMHO.
Grab a bottle of Ben Nevis while you are there. I think you should be able to get it in England with a little searching. Best Whiskey in Scotland, and that is saying something!

Alright, picking up the sink this afternoon. I've got some Barkeeper's Friend around, should clean up nicely. I'm sure you are all overwhelmed with the drama.

I’ve never felt a strong desire to connect with my Irish roots. Kinda odd, considering that I’m 100 proof Irish but it just never meant that much to me. Then the Pats schedule came out and they are playing the Rams in London in two weeks, and the next thing you know I’m going to the British Isles.
So my Dad’s father died when he was 16. Obviously I never knew him. His mother lived till I was 14 but she was an ornery old bird and didn’t ever want to talk about the ‘old country.’ (Kinda strange, as she got older she reverted to Gaelic and I didn’t understand a word the woman said.) My mother’s dad died when I was one. Her mother lived till I was in my 20’s but she was too busy being the curator of the Medford branch of the Vatican Museum to waste any time talking about Ireland. So I never really had a strong feeling for being Irish.

Years ago Al and I went to Ellis Island. I will never forget coming around a corner and seeing a wall sized picture of an Irish family gathered around their home. It shocked me to my soul. At least 20 people gathered around a hole in the ground. That was home. A dirt floored, dirt roofed, hole in the ground. That winter we went to Rome and while she marveled at the Coliseum I kept thinking about my ancestors living in dirt holes while the Romans built an empire.

So I started doing some investigating. Turns out I’m pretty good at digging up that sort of stuff. My paternal grandfather was relatively easy. He had two relatively unusual names. My grandmother was Bridget Duffy. Plug “Bridget Duffy, Ireland 1890” into a data base and your computer may start smoking. But I found him. He was born in Carrick on Suir, in County Killkenny in 1888 and worked as a slate miner. He arrived in Boston on May 7, 1914 with the comparatively flush sum of $69 in his pocket. He was drafted into the United States Army in 1917, went to France with the 305th Battalion, spent 78 days in the trenches on the front, fought in 6 major battles and earned United States citizenship for his troubles.

I’d like to introduce you guys to my grandfather, Maurice Francis Comerford.

After the war he came back to Boston, married, had kids and worked as an iron worker. Maurice was killed building the Tobin Bridge, knocked off the steel by a crane. Last week I found a plaque to him at the Local 7 hall.

I'm going home tonight, to find out who I truly am.

Maurice_Comerford.jpg

Back