Group Buy in Chicago #6

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do we set the cutoff for this current buy?

• Close it on Monday, October 8, 2012 11:59 PM

• Close it when we reach 164 sacks?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stupid question I couldn't find searching... When will the order be placed? Any cut-off date? When we get 3 full pallets? It looks like we'll be over 3 pallets? I can't wait to try Great Western 2row.

Is this group buy still open? I just registered on the database and would like to add a couple sacks if possible.

idigg said:
Stupid question I couldn't find searching... When will the order be placed? Any cut-off date? When we get 3 full pallets? It looks like we'll be over 3 pallets? I can't wait to try Great Western 2row.

We set the cut off at 4 pallets unless Randar comes in with another pallet order like last time.

FermentedTed said:
Is this group buy still open? I just registered on the database and would like to add a couple sacks if possible.

Confirmed

starman said:
Sorry, I've been traveling. I've got one sack of TF&S CII on my order and am good with a 1/4 sack so if Grinch and PseudoChef are good with #13.75/ea. we'll go with a 4 way split.

1/4 sack is perfectly fine with me.

Lies!!!

I assume the hops dont count against the pallets?

How many 11 pound boxes are we up to now? Hops do count towards the pallet. 5 boxes at 55 pounds will equal one sack at least weight wise but I am not sure if it equals one sack volume wise or if it even matters.

I signed up awhile ago and haven't been approved yet. I really ned to buy some. How long does it generally take?

martyphee said:
I signed up awhile ago and haven't been approved yet. I really ned to buy some. How long does it generally take?

Have you tried logging on again? I'm pretty sure I confirmed you.

How many 11 pound boxes are we up to now? Hops do count towards the pallet. 5 boxes at 55 pounds will equal one sack at least weight wise but I am not sure if it equals one sack volume wise or if it even matters.
1 Cascade.

Last call...if we cant hit 11lbs we wont purchase.
9lbs NB (urbanmyth, ThirstT, cadwallion*2, RC, metic, hot427cobra, TheBreweryUnderground, brewingmeister)
4lbs Magnum (metic, RC, ThirstT, Neopol)
1lb Warrior (wegz15) -I could really do Magnum or Warrior. I want a solid bittering in the freezer.

***Closed***11lbs Cascade (cadwallion*2, TheOneBuz*3, RC*2, hot427cobra, Jgrove10, TheBreweryUnderground, Demon)

Just two more pounds of Northern Brewer left people! Doesn't anybody have a recipe for a double imperial anchor steam? That would use those hops up real quick.

Do set the cutoff by pallet count (currently at 4) or by date which people have voted today as being the cutoff date? Currently, we are at 131 sacks. The maximum sacks per pallet allowed is 42. So 4 pallets yields 168 sacks. However, we would need to get a fifth pallet like last time for all of the hops, chemicals, etc. Keep in mind that the shipping costs and the one time domain registration costs will be spread across the number of sacks just to keep it simple. Do we set the total number of sacks at 164 so that we can allow 220 pounds (4 sacks * 55 Lbs) for the rest of the items? Or do we just keep the buy open through the weekend then amortize the shipping/domain costs across however many sacks we have? I'm indifferent so it's up to you guys.

I'd say let it ride through the weekend, and cut it off at 164 sacks or Monday at noon which ever comes first. Amortize the costs on a per bag basis to keep it simple.
If if closes Monday the 8th and everyone pays by the 15th, potential delivery by Friday the 19th?

Bill, I'd say leaving the last pallet partially unfilled would be perfect since hopefully they can add the non-malt items to that one. Cheaper than shipping a skid with just 4 boxes of hops and cleaner. Although that darn seductive 'add more grain' button just cost me a couple more sacks so it's that much fuller. edit**oops, math skills lacking 164 IS short of full** I edit my vote to option C, "present"

I will take a pound of NS. Also interested in a couple pounds of simcoe if it is available.

Simcoe is sold out at this source via contracts past 2013 :mad: I did find leaf in stock at freshops last night, you might try there. The thought of 48oz ea of Simcoe and Amarillo safely tucked away for next year was just too tempting after a couple rye-PA...

Simcoe is sold out at this source via contracts past 2013 :mad: I did find leaf in stock at freshops last night, you might try there. The thought of 48oz ea of Simcoe and Amarillo safely tucked away for next year was just too tempting after a couple rye-PA...
You use simcoe/ Amarillo for your rye-AP/IPA? Recipe?

Also how do the prices compare at freshops? I didnt see much of a savings with this GB for the PITA of splitting up 11lb bags.

Also how do the prices compare at freshops? I didnt see much of a savings with this GB for the PITA of splitting up 11lb bags.

I don't know about this. Cascade at freshops is $1.25 per ounce which comes out to $20 per pound. Cascade (pellets) is at $6.39 per pound; or just under $0.40 per ounce.

A pound of Simcoe there is close to $30 before shipping. Hops in the group buys are generally half the cost (at least) of hops at a brew shop. But there is the issue of ordering in 11# increments and missing the more popular varieties, they don't even have Chinnook. You can also peruse the probrewer forums for trades/buys on bulk amounts of hops going unused, but that is still in bulk amounts.

What hops are left open? Also, I believe I'm down for 2lbs of nelson sauvin. If any one wants it, let me know.

Bmason, i was able to successfully place an order, thank you for all the help. Do we know how many sacks we have left to complete the pallet?

Ghoti, props on the website,this is my first group buy and it was super easy!!!!

Is anyone out there looking for someone to help split any grain? Ive got a lot i need, but not necessarily a lot of each haha *cheers*

Just the Simcoe usually in the RPA. I typically use FWH Centennial for bittering with combos of those two and cascade for flavor/late additions. It definitely gets dryhopped with Simcoe. I have DH with Simarillo and it's good, but this 48oz of Amarillo is earmarked for Gumby'sballs&head.

Like Bill already said, for the most part it is still cheaper to buy a 11lb box and split. It's hard to beat a pound of Cz Saaz for ~$8.

Speaking of, Saaz anyone? I'll front.

Update/Edit:
2# SrBailey
4# MrBill
1# Cadwallion
1# Gothic Horror
2# Me
1# Metic

Thanks folks, looks like we're filled nicely with Neopol flying standby.

Just the Simcoe usually in the RPA. I typically use FWH Centennial for bittering with combos of those two and cascade for flavor/late additions. It definitely gets dryhopped with Simcoe. I have DH with Simarillo and it's good, but this 48oz of Amarillo is earmarked for Gumby'sballs&head.

Like Bill already said, for the most part it is still cheaper to buy a 11lb box and split. It's hard to beat a pound of Cz Saaz for ~$8.

I would be will ing to do 2 lbs of saaz if you decide to order them.
Thanks,
srbailey

1 Cascade.

9lbs NB (urbanmyth, ThirstT, cadwallion*2, RC, metic, hot427cobra, TheBreweryUnderground, brewingmeister)
1lb Warrior (wegz15) -I could really do Magnum or Warrior. I want a solid bittering in the freezer.

***Closed***11lbs Cascade (cadwallion*2, TheOneBuz*3, RC*2, hot427cobra, Jgrove10, TheBreweryUnderground, Demon)

Ahhh, put me down for 1# of magnum. Probably time to grow.the.economy a little and go buy a hops freezer.

we're at 143 sacks. either 19 more sacks or 3 days to go. which ever comes first.

1 Cascade.

11# Northern Brewer (urbanmyth, ThirstT, cadwallion*2, RC, metic, hot427cobra, TBU, brewingmeister, and now srbailey and grinch)

Also srbailey was in for a pound of magnum and warrior each.

RC are you putting this under your order and organizing the physical splits, do we have anyone with a vacuum sealer or is it a bring your own bag kind of thing?

cyclogenesis said:
So anyone know what splits are still open?

I am looking to split some Maris Otter. I won't order unless someone wants at least half.

Any interest in splitting an order of Vickers Breakbright tabs maybe 4 or 8 ways, its a huge sack 2.2 lbs..... translated to about 43 baggies of 10 whirlfloc @ 23 g..

Its a cheap item but according to my calcs about 1/2 cost at brew store. 12 month shelf life or longer mfr datasheet

Update/Edit:
2# SrBailey
4# MrBill
2-4# Me

1-3# remain to fill the order
I'll take a pound if you've still got a slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back