SPST 22MM N/O Selector Switch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DownRightAft

Reaction score
I am looking for a SPST 22MM N/O SELECTOR SWITCH. I do not understand the rating system used in these switches. I want one that will be able to handle 120v 20A. I see the ratings for these, and the appear much lower than I require. But small 2 dollar toggle switches have the correct rating. Would some one mind shedding some light for me on how to read a switches rating?

The one I was looking at is a GCX1300 from Automation Direct. It is rated at 24V-6A. I am almost certain I am reading the rating incorrectly. Thanks ahead of time.

I find it hard to believe the contactor on this switch is only rated for 6.5 amps. I could be wrong though. Where could I find one rated for 120V 20A?

Most of the selector switches I found were rated for 10A, like this one:
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=236

So what I ended up doing was using a contactor or relay in conjunction with the switch:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Potter-Brumfield-Relays-PRD7AY0-Coil-120V-50-60Hz-20A-277VAC-25A-240VAC-DPST-/250923484974?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6c34872e#ht_1367wt_932

Unfortunately, I couldn't find many better options out there and I didn't want to use the cheesy looking toggle switch that was rated for 20A.

I guess I was reading the ratings correctly. Thanks, for the info. I am just surprised that a cheesy little toggle switch can handle higher amperage than a 10 dollar 22mm switch. I will use the relay as well.

DownRightAft said:
I guess I was reading the ratings correctly. Thanks, for the info. I am just surprised that a cheesy little toggle switch can handle higher amperage than a 10 dollar 22mm switch. I will use the relay as well.

Did you look on digikey etc? I think generally now 120V etc is not used in control panels. It is all done with low voltage and low current using relays.

I am also looking for a selector switch that can handle a chest freezer's start-up current of 12 amps.

Can you explain how a relay, in conjunction with the switch, would enable a 10-amp switch to be used?

Latest posts

Back