Using a 5 or 10 Gal. Beverage Cooler as Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr1nkBeer

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried using a screw on lid beverage cooler with a ball valve as a fermenting vessel?.. it came to me as I was looking at my bucket bubble away next to my mash tun.. :mug:

thinking its. Food Grade.. sealed and has little affect on abient temperature changes... good no?

Could be done, sure. Same "scaries" exist with plastic buckets in terms of scratches as hotbeds for bacteria, and perhaps the cooler walls are not quite as scratch-resistant as a bucket?? I dont' know on that one. Starsan is pretty damn good for that type of stuff, though.

The key is if it's *mostly* airtight. Others, chime-in.

The ones i have seal so well i need to unscrew teh lid to allow the flow to continue through the spigot... definately air tight...

I'm thinking i'm onto something.. i can get 5 gal. coolers for 20 bucks... with screw on lids... not to mention that if you need add some additional yeast during your fermetation.. you can just unscrew carefully.. and add... And you know what else.. i've alway worried about the metal hanger type handle busting off the bucket while transporting to the fermentation spot... the coolers have rigid and stronger handles.

Sure you could...

but it seems an awful expense when compared to a bucket.

I mean new those things are two or three times more expensive and if you use your Mash Tun for fermenting you will have to wait untill it is done before you do your next batch...

and the seal... as far as I know I have never heard of someone getting their beer infected because it did not seal tight.

The out pressure and the layer of CO2 keep the beasties out,,, I mean we usually put our beer in a place where the wind is not "rushing" around.

I have really only heard of beer getting infected because of damaged equpment that harbors "beasties" or improper sanitation....

Think about it... no one knew a lot about bacteria 200 years ago and they have been brewing good beer a lot longer than that.

Sure you could...

but it seems an awful expense when compared to a bucket.

I mean new those things are two or three times more expensive and if you use your Mash Tun for fermenting you will have to wait untill it is done before you do your next batch....

He said he can get 5g. coolers for 20 bucks, meaning they wouldn't be his mash-tun. Of course that's slightly more expensive than a bucket and lid (not by too much) and the headspace isn't nearly as much.

For small batches I use Menards/Home Depot buckets. Never had one issue.

exactly.. right.. these would be additional coolers. I was thinking about using 10 gal coolers for my 5-7 gal. batches...

Think about it... no one knew a lot about bacteria 200 years ago and they have been brewing good beer a lot longer than that.

Yeah.. and some of them still use those same strains of yeast... YIKES!.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is internal heat generated by the yeast. Assuming you pitch at or below your fermentation temperature, since yeast are exothermic, how are you going to keep the heat from getting out of control? Granted, you're not going to create fusion worthy heat, but I bet it gets too hot in there with no way to cool it down since they're insulated.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is internal heat generated by the yeast. Assuming you pitch at or below your fermentation temperature, since yeast are exothermic, how are you going to keep the heat from getting out of control? Granted, you're not going to create fusion worthy heat, but I bet it gets too hot in there with no way to cool it down since they're insulated.

Good point. A caveat to the insulating power of a cooler is that it doesn't let heat OUT as easily, either.

Thats interesting... so thats where your abient temps (my basement is usually perfect for fermenting) and the bucket with thin walls makes more sense. Same goes for glass carboys...

so basically yeast "sweat" and produce heat. Never thought about that...

cool.. good to know... I think wine however doesnt use up the headspace that beer does. I've had many of airlocks gooped up with krausen from a angry yeast. Nothing a blowoff wouldnt solve though.

I have an extra 5 gal. laying around from my portable kegerator build i'm thinking I may give it a go on my next 3 gal. batch or barley wine..

Thought about this a little more.. as I had come into a few of the 10gal. units for free... and am going to try this out on my next batch.

Going on the Yeast and Heat.. would yeast actually produce a higher heat than is with in the "style" or average fermenting temps?... in other words would they overheat themselves? or die would they give up trying? I know it probably be tougher to keep the fermentation at a "desirable" temp but would they actually heat up passed the point of their own fermetation temp?

I don't think they could create enough heat to "kill themselves" but off-flavors would be a problem

fermentation creates a good deal of heat. i don't see any benefit to using a cooler, but i do see a huge downside. there is no way to cool it down once it gets warm in there. beer frequently ferments 5 or so degrees warmer than ambient temperature, and thats in a fermenter with really thin walls. once your beer starts fermenting it is going to get warmer, not have anywhere at all to spread that heat, and then the yeast will ferment even faster (generating even more heat compared to if it was in a bucket), and the heat will all be trapped.

also you can't see whats going on, you won't be able to have an airlock (you will have to make sure enough air can get out, but none can get in), the potential threat of it leaking through the ball valve, and uncertainty as to the sanitization. milled grains harbor a lot of bacteria, so if you are using it as a mash tun and then fermenter you need to be very very careful.

sounds like a ton of problems just to have the better handles.

An insulated fermenter sounds like a bad idea IMO. People go to great lengths to provide cooling to dissipate the heat of fermentation. Trapping all the heat will piss off the yeast and result in a fast a furious ferment.

All good points... i think what i'll do with these is make a few mashtuns and i've wanted to move to 10 gal. batches anyway.. i just need a new brew kettle or keggle setup.

Back