Caldera IPA clone attempt #1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neildytham

Reaction score
Ok, here is the recipe for my first attempt at a Caldera IPA type beer (one of my favourites!), it's only a partial mash, mostly relying on extract as I'm quite a novice:

1lb Honey Malt (Domestic)
1lb Munich Malt

Steeped for 30 mins at 150-158 deg

Sparged and added
7lb Local (FH Steinbarts) Light LME
1lb Briess Light DME

Hop Profile:
1oz Simcoe 14.4% @ 60 mins
1oz Centennial (unknown %) @ 60 mins
1oz Amarillo 10.6% @ 30 mins
1oz Centennial @ 30 mins
1oz Amarillo @10 mins
0.5oz Simcoe @ 5 mins
0.5oz simcoe @ 1 min

I will add 2oz of the same Simcoe for a dry hop to really smash that grapefruit/apricot aroma home!

1 x Whirlfloc tablet added at 15 mins.

Cooled in ice bath in 1 hr and dropped temp to 73F.
OG: 1.067
Hoping for around 1.016-18 FG (usual with this yeast)

Tasted the sample (to gauge bitterness) and am looking forward to the fermented flavor.

Watch for further posts to see the outcome...

How did this work out? I just had my first Caldera IPA last night. Since my pipeline lacks an IPA, I thought I might try to clone this one. Were you able to get that great grapefruit essence?

Caldera's IPA is my favorite! Any update on this? I'm thinking about doing a mini brew this weekend and now that I've found this.... I am tempted to try it.

I got all the Ingredients. Well... What's is the recommended yeast strain? Didn't not see it listed.

I just made this today. I for some reason only added 7# of extract. Forgot the extra lb. I used extra light DME as I wanted to brighten and lighten it up. Surprised how dark it turned out. I should have considered the levibond of the grain; Honey malt is 15-20L. OG is 1.061. I pitched using a 1300ml starter of WL-OO1.

image-2449432363.jpg

1.060 @ 68F

Attachments

• image-3360654238.jpg
    image-3360654238.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 473
The poor airlock was struggling this morning and I was concerned with what mess I would return to if I wouldn't switch to a blow-off. There is so much positive pressure that the lid to the primary is hissing and deforming. I never had such a vigorous fermentation. Must have been the extra yeast cell count.

image-2540356420.jpg

image-4144903777.jpg

image-342333806.jpg

Came in at 1.016 after primary. Just racked to secondary. Smells and taste wonderful. Cannot wait for co2.

I am attempting this recipe as well. I started yesterday and plan on keeping in the primary for 2 weeks. How long are you/did you keep in secondary?

I bottled yesterday. The FG was 1.019 (adjusted for temp). The FG sample tested pretty good for warm, flat beer.

One question- this was my first beer to brew- I had five gallons in the primary, just under 5 in the bottling bucket, but bottled only 4.2 gallons. What is the best method to ensure I get closer to 5 gallons bottled? It seems like I should have closer to 5.5-6 gallons in the primary. Does this put me on the right track?

Back