whoohoo!!!just picked up a 15.5 keg for my brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truble

Reaction score
Went to the local package store, and was able to buy one. I plan on building this as a boiler. I plan on going AG next year, so I figure I will build in reverse-boiler, then mashtun then liquor tank. At least now, though, I can run full boils. Just need to get a ball valve and spigot welded into it. no more 1/2 batch boils!

nah. It was $20. A little steep, but that is what they have to charge in their price book, according to the manager. I have been to a couple shops around me, however, and most refuse to sell them due to the tight keg control in MA. I do have another guy that is going to talk to his distributor to see if he can get them from him, and those might be even less than $10.

I was willing to pay the xtra$$ for the first one so that I can get started. Pricing fittings right now.

Heck, 20 isn't bad. I would pay that. I'm going to check the liquor stores around here.

Do they have to use a special (silver) solder when doing the welding? I might go for one of the no-weld fittings.

I am going to look into both, actually. I believe that Orfy just had one welded up in the UK. I would like to be able to dismantle it to clean it, but something about having it welded in seems stronger....maybe it is the word 'welded' :)

Anyhow, I will be looking around this weekend for the bits that I need.

Yep, no sealing problems either.

I was going to go the no weld route for ease and cost but the weld route to 10 minutes and cost me 3 bottle of homebrew. I found a pipe fabrication shop who had all the kit and did it without blinking.

OK. That looks just like mine- I thought it was aluminum...maybe it is stainless? I bought it on a whim. Worst case is I use weld-less mounting.

Orphy...like your style...I see a lot of do it yourself in your pics! I've been brewing extract and partial grains for a long time and you have inspired me with some others in this forum to build up some all-grain equipment and give it a try! Cheers! :p !

Back