DIY Bottle Opener

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krunner

Reaction score
Took a simple concept I heard about on the interweb and put some work into it.

Piece of hardwood(palo santo)[check], fancy screw[check], rasps/files/sandpaper[check]. Still finishing with some mineral oil.

You can get as simple or complex with it as you want. Maybe I'm crazy, but I just love working on little wooden project like this... plus, it works :). Forgot to add, if you collect caps like I do this design is great, it produces the smallest distortion(borderline not noticeable) of the cap compared to any commercial opener I've used.

DSC_0239.jpg

Looks pretty cool. I've been saving bottle caps for a while and I use a nifty little gadget that pops down over the entire cap--opening the cap evenly. It even has a magnet to catch/hold the cap as well.

Sadly, I don't have any pics to share.

Looks pretty cool. I've been saving bottle caps for a while and I use a nifty little gadget that pops down over the entire cap--opening the cap evenly. It even has a magnet to catch/hold the cap as well.

Sadly, I don't have any pics to share.

I would really like to see a pic of that. i want to make a bottle cap bar top. It is a pain in the butt to try and straighten bent up caps.

Make it out of metal and it could do double duty as brass knucks.

I would really like to see a pic of that. i want to make a bottle cap bar top. It is a pain in the butt to try and straighten bent up caps.

This isn't mine, but I found a pic on the web of a similar one (only the names have been changed to protect the innocent :)).

Push-up-Bottle-Opener.jpg

The homemade one looks like something to bludgeon someones skull with........ if you're into that sort of thing.

The homemade one looks like something to bludgeon someones skull with........ if you're into that sort of thing.

Ha, I could see that (as long as the bludegonee was very tiny). Cool little piece.

Now I don't feel so bad going thru the extra motions saving odd brand bier bottle caps. I use a body corner off the P38 can opener as a expander before poping the cap off. Dad's from WWII on my key ring, she's warn down but still works. No damage excepet the War Department's comments on "why you saving that?".
If I had your wooden opener the War Department would use it on my head I have enoungh extra lumps already.

My neighbor and I made one out of a 1/4" Crapsman ratchet. Basically you take out all of the internals and grind a groove in it and presto, a cool garage beer opener.

I often just use a lighter as well, however it's tough to beat the standard bar key:

Vinyl_Opener_Black_.jpg

I gave up smoking about a year and a half ago...and kick myself in the ass everytime I have to ask for a lighter to open a bottle...+1 for the lighter...perfect caps

Anyone else get this far and start thinking of making a cool opener like this before remembering that they keg?

I'm living in Brazil right now and almost all the bars I've been in use a little piece of dowel and a screw. Too bad the only beers available for them to open are Brazilian Pilsners (I'm an ale guy).

I use a tactical beverage entry tool from LaRue Tactical know as the Dillo. They sent me one for Christmas a couple of years ago. It works for can tabs, screw offs and pop tops. I like the wood handle and the screw idea and those forged jobs are pretty sweet too.

P1011962200.JPG

Back