How to bottle out of a secondary fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beavdowg

Reaction score
I keg all of my beer but I'm brewing a batch for a friend and will bottle it all up for him. I haven't bottled since I started brewing over 10 years ago. When I first brewed I never put my beer in a secondary fermentor so there was always plenty yeast around to carb in the bottles. The batch I'm making for my friend is an IPA so we'll be dry hopping in a secondary fermentor. My concern is that there may not be enough yeast in the secondary to properly carbonate the bottles. Anyone have any hints or tips to give me on how to bottle out of a secondary? Do you have to add yeast, if so how much?

Might also want to put your priming sugar solution in another container (bucket, carboy, whatever) and siphon the beer from your secondary into it, then bottle from that container, rather than adding priming sugar to the secondary and trying to bottle from it...lots of hops and stuff in there that you don't want in the bottles.

Let the priming solution cool, of course, if you're going to put it in a glass container.

Back