Home Brewing Demonstration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmdrico7812

Reaction score
I've been asked to do a home brewing demonstration at my town's Oktoberfest celebration and I was wondering if anyone else has done one and if there are any legal issues with it. Technically it's not really beer until it ferments but you're not allowed to buy homebrew supplies until you're 21. The Oktoberfest beer tent it set up in a public parking lot and I was going to do the demonstration in the tent. Does anyone have any experience with his issue and are there any legal reasons why I couldn't do a demonstration in public? Thanks.

I think that it's considered "beer" once the yeast is pitched, even before fermentation. In my state, anybody can buy homebrew supplies, even children. It's not legal for them to brew but it's legal to buy the supplies. Now, I don't think too many retailers would sell to a child but I've had my kids pick up DME for me on occasion, if truth be told!

However, I've seen plenty of outside demonstrations in different states. My thinking is that if you're not serving it, you're fine.

Thanks! I didn't know that you could buy supplies at any age (I'm in Michigan too). I'm excited to do the demonstration but I just wanted to make sure there were no legal ramifications of doing it.

Thanks! I didn't know that you could buy supplies at any age (I'm in Michigan too). I'm excited to do the demonstration but I just wanted to make sure there were no legal ramifications of doing it.

Well, the "local" homebrew shop (a gas station, beer store, deli, bait shop) is actually in Wisconsin. They seem to have no liquor laws at all. Legally, they can serve infants if the parents consent although that seems to be changing. But my daughter ran in and picked up some DME for me when she was over there (it's about 50 miles from here) without an issue. She was probably about 17 or so at the time.

Some states prohibit transport of homebrew, and have other strange laws. But I don't know of any in Michigan that would stop you from having a brewing demo in public. I think a big homebrew store near Detroit (Capn Corks or something like that) does it.

The Barley Mob in Chattanooga does a demo at an outdoor market once a month with no problems.

If you're worried about it you may want to have that conversation with the organizers of the event and the local authorities. This may not be one of those times that it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

I would not worry about it. Kids can get the same info online without your help anytime they please. The knowledge is not illegal, but I would pick a kid to volunteer to pitch the yeast. (But maybe crank the mill!) ;)

There shouldn't be any legal issues, this Saturday my local club is doing a brew demo in the spirit of Oktoberfest.

Well, the "local" homebrew shop (a gas station, beer store, deli, bait shop) is actually in Wisconsin. They seem to have no liquor laws at all. Legally, they can serve infants if the parents consent although that seems to be changing. But my daughter ran in and picked up some DME for me when she was over there (it's about 50 miles from here) without an issue. She was probably about 17 or so at the time.

You're right about the laws changing, when I was 17 I went to a sushi place here in WI, and asked for a beer they refused to serve me stating some law where since I was old enough to have my drivers license I could therefore drive after drinking the beer, and this was with my parents. Although I have been refused by Applebee's and like due to corporate policies I haven't heard of that law again outside of that one place, so it could be something the guy made up too.

If you're really worried about it, don't pitch the yeast. It'd just be sugar water.

Then you can pitch it at home and still get a batch out of it!

Call your local fire marshall. It would be a bummer to have them roll by and shut you down mid-brew. Just my 2 pennies.

cmdrico7812, what legal issues are you worried about particularly?

Are you over 21? If not, that might be an issue. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

I've been asked to do a home brewing demonstration at my town's Oktoberfest celebration and I was wondering if anyone else has done one and if there are any legal issues with it. Technically it's not really beer until it ferments but you're not allowed to buy homebrew supplies until you're 21. The Oktoberfest beer tent it set up in a public parking lot and I was going to do the demonstration in the tent. Does anyone have any experience with his issue and are there any legal reasons why I couldn't do a demonstration in public? Thanks.

What? I can't imagine why you can't buy malt and grain and sugar and all that stuff. The ingredients are legal. Pitching the yeast is the part that you need to worry about.

Don't tell the cops, but both of my kids have helped me make beer, and according to State Law, they are not allowed to have a drink until 21. Even if they are at home with my supervision.

But they can cook with me all day long!

I would suggest you have a couple of buddies with you so someone is there to answer questions from people just passing by, otherwise you will be answering the same questions all day and not able to concentrate on the brewing process.

It's all a matter of state law (or maybe more local than that). Check your local laws and with the appropriate authorities, if you are concerned. You may be able to do something in one state that you cannot do in another.

With regard to the parallel conversation, Texas allows a minor to possess and consume alcohol "in the visible presence of the minor’s adult parent, guardian, or spouse." However, that does not mean a minor is entitled to consume under those circumstances. A house can refuse to serve anyone.

As far as I know there are no age restrictions on buying homebrew ingredients in Texas, either.

TL

I/our club did three homebrewing deomonstrations this past summer at the Big Ole Pioneer Days. We live in Michigan. We pitched yeast. It was all good. We just were not allowed to hand out any samples at all. Check with liquor control, but I think it should be ok as long as you are not handing out sample or have any actual beer (other than what you are making).

The beer tent for the event was right next to ours, but we weren't allowed to buy the beer and take it outside the gated beer tent area.

The hardest part of this is making sure you have ALL of the equiment, ingredients, water, etc that you could possibly need... 'cuz you'll need whatever you forget! ;o)

I would be more concerned about what the fire department, police department and property owners have to say about your demonstration in terms of public safety. Assuming you are using propane and are setting up some sorta barriers to prevent people from getting to close.
IMO as long as you are not selling finished bottles of homebrew, selling the finished wort or offering homebrew samplings to anyone under 21, I would think that you would be fine.
Again just my opinion, but i would talk to your local fire marshall and chief of police to see what preventable measures you have to take in regards to public safety.

Redbeard5289

Back