Full boil ME additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
Is it still beneficial to do a late extract addition if doing a FULL BOIL?

Yes. Otherwise you're still re cooking something that has been cooked to a very high degree.

Just to be different, I'll say no. I don't see why a late extract addition would be helpful in a full boil. Even in AG, you boil all the wort at the gravity you would if you were doing a full boil with extract. You'd have the same wort, basically, as an AG batch. I don't think you'd gain anything from adding the extract late.

I'll certainly submit to your greater knowledge, Yooper, but I believe the highest Alpha Acid isomerizations can be achieved at around 1.040 gravity, and this isn't a luxury afforded by AG brewers since they don't have the option of adding malt extract late. This should theoretically let you use fewer hops for the same IBUs, but in practice this only would mean saving maybe a half ounce of hops. But for the a brewer trying to save a buck this could mean something.

I don't really remember, but I thought one of the reasons you did a late addition was to keep the color from darkening. If this is true wouldn't it still benefit a full boil?

Back