My first partial mash and recipe creation. Please critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emoutal

Reaction score
So i decided to try Deathbrewer's partial mash method. I am also finding it hard to find PM recipes so I decided to modify a recipe for a pale ale that I found. Let me know what you think.

Code:
Type: Partial Mash
 Date: 2008-10-08 
Batch Size: 19.00 L
 Brewer: Eric 
Boil Size: 11.00 L Asst Brewer:  
Boil Time: 60 min  Equipment: Brew Pot (3 Gallon)  
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0  Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0 
Taste Notes:  

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU 
4.25 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 50.0 % 
3.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 41.2 % 
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 % 
0.25 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.9 % 
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00%] (60 min) Hops 31.8 IBU 
0.67 oz Goldings, B.C. [5.00%] (1 min) Hops 0.5 IBU 
0.33 oz Cascade [5.50%] (1 min) Hops 0.2 IBU 

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
 Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG 
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG 
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.8 %  Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.6 % 
Bitterness: 32.5 IBU Calories: 90 cal/l 
Est Color: 9.2 SRM Color: Color

I'm not quite sure on the yeast, but I will be using dry yeast.

I've heard good things about both US-05 and S-04. What kind of flavour profile do they have?

US-05 ferments very clean, with little ester profile of its own. It's a great yeast to let the malt and hops flavors shine through. According to the manufacturer, it's a dry version of Wyeast's 1056.

S-04 is a British ale yeast, ferments with a much more noticeable fruity ester profile than US-06, and also isn't as good an attenuator - the beer will finish higher in gravity than US-06.

Summary: US-06 = neutral & dry. S-04 = fruity & full-bodied. (Comparatively speaking!)

Bob

You did it again, Bob, I think you're still remembering it as US-56! That, or your finger isn't cooperating with you today! :p

With the Centennial and Cascade, I'd be prone to use US-05, but both will give you great beer.

Excellent! Looks like a winner. I learned the hard way, for hoppy beers simpler is better, and I think you hit the mark.

I like the flavor profile of S-04 myself, OTOH if you want a really clean brew go with US-05 or Nottingham. Any of them will make a fantastic pale ale.

You did it again, Bob, I think you're still remembering it as US-56! That, or your finger isn't cooperating with you today! :p

DAMMIT!

cartman_angry-thumb.jpeg

Latest posts

Back