American Porter Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this back in January, as had a very vigorous fermentation even though I kept the temperature in the low 60's. I just kegged it last night. When I tasted my gravity sample, it tasted somewhat "hot" and harsh to me. My calculated ABV is 6.4%, so I'm not sure if what I was tasting was due to the higher-than-normal alcohol content, or if I might have some fusel alcohols present. The fermentation was vigorous enough to suggest it may have produced some off-flavours, but I fermented at the same temperature as all my other ales (basement, in a plastic pail full of water, covered with a wet t-shirt).

Has anyone else detected somewhat "harsh" flavours in this recipe initially? Will this age out? Will the CO2 help it mellow? Is this normal for this recipe?

I brewed this back in January too. I left it in primary for 3 weeks, bottled from there, and let them carb for 3 weeks before trying one. ABV was 6%, and after 3 weeks the beer didn't quite taste right, and there wasn't really any head to speak of. I might have described some of the flavors as "harsh", the beer certainly didn't ahve the smoothness I typically enjoy from a porter. I had to kind of force it down.

After the 4th week, I tried another one, it had the faintest head, maybe 1/8-1/4", but the flavors were remarkably improved. I had one yesterday afternoon, at the 4-week + 2-3 day mark, and while the head is still small, the flavors are now great. Quite a remarkable change from 10 days ago.

I'm still hoping that the beer will develop more head, but it isn't flat and is really enjoyable to drink as-is. I will probably add a small amount of carapils next time I brew it.

So in summary, I wouldn't worry, just let it rest a bit longer and it should turn out fine.

Cheers EdWort. This is a fantastic porter. I used some whole leaf galena hops for bittering because we had them on hand.

Robust Porter.jpg

Hey ed, I just brewed this recipe today and I wound up 7 points over your OG with a 1.072 (82% efficiency). The cascade/US northern brewer hops that I used were pretty high alpha so the ibu's came in at 50. Do you think this beer will still be balanced and drinkable? Just looking for some input so I can RDWHAHB. Switched from US pale to UK pale and I am getting 5% higher efficiency. Just wish I could have planned for that! :confused:

Bump...anyone have any insight on how my beer should come out? Debating whether I should dilute it or just let it ride. I am just worried that I will have overly sweet/strong porter on my hands.

Bump...anyone have any insight on how my beer should come out? Debating whether I should dilute it or just let it ride. I am just worried that I will have overly sweet/strong porter on my hands.

As best I can recall (I brewed this last spring, still working on a few bottles), I came in with a somewhat high OG too....but it made great beer. Keep in mind that this is quite a strong porter, stronger than many stouts, and flavored accordingly.......so if you're worried about that, some dilution may be in order.

I should be brewing this as a partial mash (equipment related) on Saturday or Sunday...

8# (2 cans) Alexander Pale Malt Extract
1# 2-row
1# Chocolate Malt
1# Crystal 40
4 oz. Black Patent
1 oz. Roasted Barley
8 oz. Flaked Barley

The rest will follow the original recipe. I plan on doing late additions with the LME.
Fingers crossed. My plan is 3 weeks primary and bulk age it for about 4 weeks in secondary and then bottle.
We shall see. By the time it's done I might be ready to keg and skip the bottle all together.

@rico, I am aware that this is a big beer and I am very much ok with that. I for one am a fan of some of the biggest and richest imperial stouts that I can find. I am just concerned that this beer will come out either overly sweet, harsh or just out of balance in some sort of way. Thats why I am hoping that the high alpha content of my hops will save this one from being too unbalanced.

I think you'll be fine. Mine came it at 1.070 and turned out great, and yours is just a little over that. It might take a little longer for the flavors to clean-up, and could be slightly higher ABV, but I'd say you are still in a good range for what the beer is supposed to be.

Brewed this 3 weeks ago and got a OG of 1.075 - a full ten points over prediction.

All well and good and tastes great but now it won't drop below 1.026 and hasn't moved for 5 days. Should drop to 1.020 - 1.018.

Is this a problem, should I bottle now ? I'm quite reluctant to bottle now for fear of creating bottle bombs as I have in the past.

Is there a way to coax a drop to 1,020 ? I have roused the yeast on two occasions with minimal effect.

Could i pitch another packet of Notties ?

Not sure what your fermentation temp is, but you could try warming it up about 5-10 degrees to see if it'll wake up a little. Also, maybe using a sanitized racking cane to give it some light quiet stirring to get the yeast back in suspension. Just make sure you don't splash. Don't want any oxidation. Had some success doing that in the past.

Does anyone think adding the last .50 oz of Cascade at flame-out would dynamically change the character of the beer? I'll have a little extra - I was just wondering what effect it might have if I threw them in there..

Adding that much at the end of the boils shouldn't really allow for any alpha acid utilization, so the flavor shouldn't be affected.

This will make 5.5 gallons of Porter. Preboil is 7 gallons.

11# 2 Row
1# Chocolate Malt
1# Crystal 40
4 oz. Black Patent
1 oz. Roasted Barley
8 oz. Flaked Barley

Mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes

Add 8 oz. of Malto Dextrin to boil at 20 minutes

Hops.

1 oz. Northern Brewer at 60 min.
0.5 oz Cascade at 60 min.

Hydrate a package of Nottingham.

This ferments vigorously, so use a blow off or be prepared to wipe up some beer. :)

Ferment for 2 weeks, then rack to keg or secondary.

BCBPorter.jpg

I am planning on brewing a Porter as my next brew. Unfortunately, I am not at the All Grain stage. Any thoughts on how to convert this recipe to an Extract version? It sounds like it would be my type of beer. I love bold black tasty beers. :cross:

This worked perfectly for me:
Partial mash BIAB:

1# 2-row
1# Chocolate Malt
1# Crystal 40
4 oz. Black Patent
1 oz. Roasted Barley
8 oz. Flaked Barley

The rest will follows the original recipe.

This worked perfectly for me:
Partial mash BIAB:

1# 2-row
1# Chocolate Malt
1# Crystal 40
4 oz. Black Patent
1 oz. Roasted Barley
8 oz. Flaked Barley

The rest will follows the original recipe.

Thanks for the reply. I will give that a try.

Here is a recipe I am planning:

Otis’ Smoked Chocolate Honey Porter
Author: Otis Lamb
Date: March 13, 2013

NOTES:
Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: Baltic Porter
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermenter volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.077
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 8.63%
IBU (tinseth): 21.48
SRM (morey): 29.78

FERMENTABLES:
1.25 lb Dark Dry Malt Extract (8.8%)
6 lb Amber Liquid Malt Extract (42.1%)
1.5 lb Clover Honey - (late addition) (10.5%)
1 lb Brown Sugar - (late addition) (7%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
1 lb American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (7%)
1 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 75L (7%)
1 lb American – Munich Malt - 60L (7%)
0.5 lb American – Chocolate Malt (3.5%)
1 lb American - Smoked Malt (7%)

HOPS:
1 oz Perle Boil for 60 min Type: Pellet, (AA 8.2, IBU: 17.15)
0.5 oz Willamette Boil for 15 min Type: Pellet, (AA 4.5, IBU: 2.33)
1 oz Mount Hood Boil for 5 min Type: Pellet, (AA 4.8, IBU: 2)

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 tsp Irish Moss, Boil for 15 min Type: Fining

YEAST:
White Labs - Super High Gravity Ale Yeast WLP099
Fermentation Temp: 70 F

PRIMING:
Method: Corn Sugar, Amount: 3/4 cup

I'll let you know how it came out/progresses. :mug:

Bottled this a little over a week ago.. I know its early but I couldnt resist!! The only changes I made from the origional recipe was: substituted the black patent for caraffe II, crystal 60 for the 40 and centennial for the cascades.. tasting notes: nice hoppy aroma and initial flavor.. the mouthfeel from the malto dextrine works perfectly with this brew, I was origionally worried that it would be over the top but not so.. GREAT BREW. Thanks Ed.

2013-03-14_15-32-38_755.jpg

Just kegged this up today. Tastes great after taking a reading. I'm planning on 8 lbs for 3 weeks in the kegerator.

Brewing this as we speak. Slow day at the office so I left 30 minutes early to come home and fit in a weeknight brew.

Well, I came in short on my pre-boil gravity so I sparged a bit to much to compensate and am now in the middle of a 2 hr boil to get my volume/OG correct. It's a blessing and a curse to have a refractometer to measure the gravity along the way.

Without going through all the pages in search of an answer what is a good temp to ferment at? I want to try the Nottingham yeast and have never used dry yeast before other then the Apfelwine I have going and that was just dump it in and forget it. I was going to use the WLP002 ESB yeast but might try the dry stuff and see what happens. Any help would be great. I will brew this sometime next week hopefully

The batches of this (a great porter) that I have made were chilled to <70F, and put in our basement, which runs in the low '60s for most of the year. Last Spring was the most recent batch, and it was unusually warm weather, so I'd say 63-65F.

I brewed this with crappy, unfiltered, untreated water in Madison, WI.
It is still excellent.
Fermented for 22 days, bottled, two weeks later= YUM.

Thanks! I will be making this again soon.

I brewed this up last night, I forgot the maltodextrin. I also broke my thermometer in the primary, and I will need to transfer this tonight to another bucket so I won't have to worry about the glass. I'll add the maltodex at that time. That should be fine right, as long as I boil it for a few minutes?
This beer is also going to be a 'starter' for my huge barleywine :)

I got my grains weighed out and I'm brewing this up tomorrow. I did a quick skim of this thread to find out what the IBU's should be at? I'm looking at 40 IBU's. Does that sound about right?

I just bottled this, and the sample in my glass is afrikken amazing. I couldn't believe how good this already was, flat and warm. I can't wait for this to condition a little!

I did extract, extra light dme 6 lbs. And I also did some NB hops at 10 and flame out. My roasted barley was 1.5 oz, so not much of a change there.

Finished at 1.020.

I've made this and variations a few times, the secret is the maltodextrin. That's what makes it so unique to me as I never drink beer with that adjunct. So creamy and delicious.

Ive been using it in some black ipas too that came out awesome

I wasn't paying attention today when I brewed this, and I added 16 ounces of maltodextrin instead of the 8oz the recipe called for. I've done a little looking around the forums and all I've been able to come up with is that 8oz of MD is already quite a lot. Should I be worried about getting beer jello?

Would this beer lend itself nicely to some aging on bourbon-soaked oak chips for a couple months? Looking for a nice porter to do that with.

Would this beer lend itself nicely to some aging on bourbon-soaked oak chips for a couple months? Looking for a nice porter to do that with.

You don't want to let a beer age on oak chips, maybe oak cubes. Only a week or 2 is enough for oak cups. But, to answer your question, I think this porter would age nicely with those.

Has anyone experimented with this recipe with regards to adding the very dark grains later in the mash?

Brewed this up this weekend and accidentally added an entire pound of flaked barley instead of half a pound (16oz vs the 8oz the recipe calls for).

Dumped 5.5 gal into my 8 gal bucket and used an airlock thinking 3 gal is plenty of head space. Blew through the the bucket about 16 hours after pitching. Whoops!

Looking forward to some mighty head on this brew!

Back