Options for making a sparkling Pinot Noir

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdonlon

Reaction score
I am currently in the primary fermentation stage with a vintners reserve Pinot Noir kit. I want to make this a sparkling wine. I will not be adding any preservative or yeast inhibitors.

What do you think would be a better option what it comes to making it sparkle

a. Bottle as normal with some priming sugar. Hoping the residual yeast will add enough carbonation

b. Finish the fermentation as normal, wait until and wine is complete still (about a month). And then add Champagne yeast + sugar and bottle immediately. This seems to be the most popular method but I am a bit nervous with using 2 different kind of yeast and fermenting twice.

What do you think?

What yeast came with your kit? It may have been a Champagne type yeast anyway. What was the starting SG of kit? Should be no reason since you are not adding k-meta plus sorbate that there would not be live yeast available. They will continue to reproduce as long as they have sugar UNLESS they die off due to ETOH toxicity.

You could try some with #1 and #2 if you were curious about best result for you.

I would go with option one. I would bet money that if you used the yeast from the kit it was 1118 from lalvin, which is champagne yeast. Just bottle with priming sugar (in beer or champagne bottles to withstand the pressure) like you would a naturally carbed beer. Remember to use the right ammount of sugar for the level of carbination you desire. Enjoy!

I did a cellar 7 Chardonnay Wine Kit and just used the yeast in the kit. 1.5 spoon of sugar per 750ml sparkling bottle and left it alone. Opened two test bottles with a nice big pop.

Was very very dry though OG 1.068 to FG 0.990 before bottling.

Great,
Thanks for the info, I think I'll use a little priming sugar before bottling. Will let you all know how it turns out.

The yeast was a redstar montrachet dry wine yeast

Back