Ferm Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neko

Reaction score
I know the answer is out there somewhere, but I seem to be missing it. Maybe it is the lack of sleep related to my 10-day old son. :drunk:

I'm looking to set up an easy fermentation chamber, and step up from a swamp cooler. Can I just get a chest freezer or fridge with a temperature controller and call it a day? I would need to be able to cool in the summer and heat in the winter. I found all the threads with the DIY electrical diagrams and miscellaneous parts from the stores, but that's not what I want since I'd rather pay a little more and have more time with family.

Thanks.

You nailed it. Temp controller and craigs list freezer was the the best thing I've done to improve my beers. I actually have migrated to another temp controller and fermwrap so I can have a lager and ale going the same time in the same freezer.

you nailed it. Temp controller and craigs list freezer was the the best thing i've done to improve my beers. I actually have migrated to another temp controller and fermwrap so i can have a lager and ale going the same time in the same freezer.

nice!

You nailed it. Temp controller and craigs list freezer was the the best thing I've done to improve my beers. I actually have migrated to another temp controller and fermwrap so I can have a lager and ale going the same time in the same freezer.

Will the fermwrap keep up with the low lager temps?

Will the fermwrap keep up with the low lager temps?

I've run a lager at 49 (freezer controller) and had an ale at 68 (fermwrap) with no problem. I wrap my ale in an old wetsuit to help insulate - but you could use anything to help hold the temp. I'm confident I could drop the freezer to 35 for lager phase and be just fine.

I've run a lager at 49 (freezer controller) and had an ale at 68 (fermwrap) with no problem. I wrap my ale in an old wetsuit to help insulate - but you could use anything to help hold the temp. I'm confident I could drop the freezer to 35 for lager phase and be just fine.

Dang, I didn't realize that those would work that well in freezer conditions. I picked up a 22cf chest freezer yesterday and am in the planning stages of getting it set up as a ferm chamber. Should I buy two of the ebay temp contrillers?

Dang, I didn't realize that those would work that well in freezer conditions. I picked up a 22cf chest freezer yesterday and am in the planning stages of getting it set up as a ferm chamber. Should I buy two of the ebay temp contrillers?

The key is insulating the carboy and fermwrap. Thermal mass of the fermentation helps it along if you insulate the carboy. I like the Ranco digital controllers and it's all I run. I've got no experience with the Johnson units other than I know they are slightly cheaper for the base digital but require some manual connection changes to go from cool to heat mode. I'm picking up a third unit this week and likely picking up the Johnson to control my kegerator - so will let you know my thoughts.

Freezer + temperature controller.

I have 2 of them. 1 for fermentation temperatures and 1 for serving temperatures.

Thanks for the responses. Didn't want to get things going and then realize I needed more equipment.

It's my second son, but everyone's different and you have to quickly remember things that 3 year-olds don't deal with.

Back