gluten-free belgian clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gengis

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying now to brew a partial mash, gluten-free duvel clone (or Chimay Bleue).

My limitations:
1. I don't want to use any Sorghum; don't want to wrestle with that 'twang'!
2. I don't have access to dark belgian candi syrup; although I can and will probably make my own.

Fermentables: malted white and black quinoa, Brown rice syrup and candi sugar (or Golden Syrup)
Non-fermentables: toasted white and black quinoa

- What yeast would you use?
- In terms of hops: Styrian Goldings and Saaz?

Any input is appreciated!

Hi all,

I'm trying now to brew a partial mash, gluten-free duvel clone (or Chimay Bleue).

My limitations:
1. I don't want to use any Sorghum; don't want to wrestle with that 'twang'!
2. I don't have access to dark belgian candi syrup; although I can and will probably make my own.

Fermentables: malted white and black quinoa, Brown rice syrup and candi sugar (or Golden Syrup)
Non-fermentables: toasted white and black quinoa

- What yeast would you use?
- In terms of hops: Styrian Goldings and Saaz?

Any input is appreciated!

Fermentables sound fine.

Non-fermentables, no idea if you need those roasted flavours in there. up to you.

Hops sound right for a belgian. I suggest using this hopping schedule https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f73/duvel-clone-89384/ (scale it down for the SG or the IBUs will be too high) then the only variables are the base malts. BYO magazine have a recipe for Duvel in their 250 clone brew magazine as well. And another article on belgian beers which may help. http://***********/stories/beer-sty...yles/202-belgian-abbey-ale-style-of-the-month

I recommend S-33, and if you want it clear use Gelatine. Clears it right up but not vegan/vegetarian friendly. I haven't had good experience with T-58 and Sorghum, but your malts might be different. Keep it cool or you'll get some off flavours as well.

I've made DKershner's Sorghum based Tripel Blonde and I like it, however he said it would be better with a mix of sorghum and rice malt.

http://brew.dkershner.com/2009/gluten-free-tripel-blonde/

Hope this helps.

Not sure if you meant Chimay White...because that is more like Duvel than Chimay Blue.

But you also say Dark Candi Syrup...so that makes me think you mean Chimay Blue and perhaps Duvel is the mistake...

Anyway, if you can clarify whether you want to brew a Golden Strong or a Dark Strong it would help us help you.

I meant Chimay Blue, even though I also like Chimay white. I know they are not the same style, but I'm aiming for Chimay Blue

Thanks!

1. 1214 is the chimay strain. You could also culture from a bottle. Or you could use S33 dry yeast, but it wont be as good, though more GF.

2. Those hops should work fine, just do bittering and aroma only.

Thanks! Couldn't get any of the yeast strands I wanted. Got some T-58 instead (I hope my beEEEr doesn't get too spicy)...

Thanks! Couldn't get any of the yeast strands I wanted. Got some T-58 instead (I hope my bear doesn't get too spicy)...

Yeah I hate when bears get like that :p

Will be interested to see how you go with T-58 and different fermentables. If you want to tweak later drafts take a look in the spice cupboard. Pepper, corriander, anise can all lend tastes you can impart.

Well... My dark belgian clone tastes more like an english stout, but it is de-li-cious; good balance of coffee-like bitterness, hop bitterness, fruity esters and dark caramel notes.

BTW, I think that in order to obtain dark colors for GF beers, one needs to avoid Sorghum at all costs...

Belgian Stout.jpg

Well... My dark belgian clone tastes more like an english stout, but it is de-li-cious; good balance of coffee-like bitterness, hop bitterness, fruity esters and dark caramel notes.

BTW, I think that in order to obtain dark colors for GF beers, one needs to avoid Sorghum at all costs...

Do you have a recipe for this? Looks great. Would love to make a porter maybe this would be a good starting point

Just wondering, where can you buy malted quinoa? I have a friend whos dad has a gluten alergy but loves beer and hes tired of using sorghum. Thanks!

Just wondering, where can you buy malted quinoa? I have a friend whos dad has a gluten alergy but loves beer and hes tired of using sorghum. Thanks!

Hi Mate,

Don't know about the states but in Australia you have to malt your own. There are notes above in the gluten free section about how to malt grains.

In the US, you can buy malted quinoa at:
http://www.truroots.com/p.aspx?cont=Products&id=9

But I prefer to malt my own. It takes about 48h in large sprouter, and 24h in a food dehydrator (at low temps). I then roast my grains at different temperatures in order to achieve the desired blend.

Back