When to exchange c02?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonClayton

Reaction score
I searched an came up empty, so here is my probably dumb question.

I have about 1/2 lb of C02 left in the tank. I am still new to this and don't have a good grasp yet of how much gas it takes to force carb as I normally naturally carbonate. If i want to attempt to force carb this weekend, should I go ahead and replace the tank today or is this enough to carb/dispense one more keg?

I refill my tank when it's empty. It's not a big deal for me, the paintball store is about 3 minutes away.

Really, how much trouble is it to get filled? If you need to make a long trip, might be best to get it over with.

If you have a 5lb tank, 1/2lb will be 10% left.

I'm with Kirk if this is your first time. Might as well run it till it's empty. After that you should have an idea of what you get. For example I know I get 4-5 kegs carbed and served from a tank. So after the 4th, I take it to get filled. It's a 3 minute drive from my house, but it has to be done early Saturday. The open after I leave for work and close before I get home. Then are only open until noon on saturdays.

It's a pain for me to get a refill since the store is only open during my normal working hours, but I took today off and can get it done. If i don't fill it today and run it, it will be a few weeks before I can get it done.

I've had a rough start to kegging with a faulty regulator, so I've wasted a ton of gas this tank. I have a new WYE"d Taprite arriving today though and hope to have better luck now.

Previously I would set my regulator at say 13'psi, and come back a few days later to find it anywhere for 7 psi to 19psi. Hopefully this works out better for me.

that's the other annoying thing.. I can't get a refill here only an exchange. The local paintball place won't do anything larger than a 2lb tank. I pay $18 for an exchange, so I guess thats reasonable.

The taprite just arrived, it looks very sold compared to my other regulator. :)

My non-elegant solution: buy a second 5 lb tank to keep in reserve. Found mine cheap (on sale) at kegconnection last year.

I'm with Kirk if this is your first time. Might as well run it till it's empty. After that you should have an idea of what you get. For example I know I get 4-5 kegs carbed and served from a tank. So after the 4th, I take it to get filled. It's a 3 minute drive from my house, but it has to be done early Saturday. The open after I leave for work and close before I get home. Then are only open until noon on saturdays.

How small is your tank? 5 lbs tank should be 15-22 cornies.

http://www.micromatic.com/beer-questions/how-many-beer-kegs-dispensed-out-co2-tank-aid-89.html

Back