Fat Head's Hop Juju Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 47131

Reaction score
A month ago I emailed Fat Head's requesting more info on their Imperial IPA, Hop Juju, and have not received a response. My friends and I first tried it at GABF last year and fell in love with it... I see that they have some info on their site at http://fatheadsbrewing.com/hop_juju.php (damn link wouldn't show up with parsing) that I can use for reference, but before starting from scratch was hoping that someone could shed some light on a possible clone for me. I would love to brew this beer for my birthday at the end of next month, so any assistance is appreciated. Thanks!

I'm thinking you'll probably need to start from scratch & see what you come up with. I'm from Cleveland & have searched all over for clones for any Fat Head's beers & haven't come up with anything so far. I think they're such a new brewery that they don't really have a huge following outside of ohio yet...thus, not many people attempting to clone their beer.

They're tapping another batch within the next few weeks. Usually their beer descriptions on the menu give more information than anything on their website. I'll post an update whenever they tap it if there's better information provided. I know with the Head Hunter IPA they at least give you the hops they use on the menu description.

Also FYI, I think the emails go directly to the restaurant manager, so I don't know if Matt Cole, the head brewer, gets them. I've talked to him a bunch of times & he seems like a really personable, helpful guy. He gave me the low down on some of the grains & hops they used in their Black Rye IPA they brewed last year with Mitch Steele of Stone.

Found the hops for Head Hunter: "Savage amounts of Simcoe, Columbus, and Cascade hops define this brews signature pine and citrus notes."

Any chance that Juju is just a scaled up version? For mimicking an IPA getting the hops right is the most important part. I haven’t had either, they’d just run out of Head Hunter when I visited the one in Pittsburgh this summer. Often the brewer's email is just first name at whatever the brewery domain is, might be worth a shot...

The malt bill shouldn’t be too hard to guess, probably mostly pale, with a bit (~4%?) of medium crystal malt (“Nicely balanced by a very sturdy malt backbone.”). Mash ~150, aiming for an OG ~1.082. A bit of gypsum in your water wouldn’t be a bad idea to bring your sulfate levels up to ~150 ppm. Usually I’d add some sugar to an IPA that big, but it sounds a bit sweeter than the West coast representatives of the style.

I’d bitter with ~3-4 oz of Columbus near the start of the boil, and then add ~2 oz of each hop at the end of the boil. Ferment with a clean American ale yeast. Once it is done (FG probably around 1.016) dry hop it with 1 oz of each of the hops, remove and repeat with another oz of each for a week before bottling (or better yet in the keg if you keg).

Hope that gives you a general direction, good luck.

Found the hops for Head Hunter: "Savage amounts of Simcoe, Columbus, and Cascade hops define this brews signature pine and citrus notes."

Any chance that Juju is just a scaled up version? For mimicking an IPA getting the hops right is the most important part. I haven’t had either, they’d just run out of Head Hunter when I visited the one in Pittsburgh this summer. Often the brewer's email is just first name at whatever the brewery domain is, might be worth a shot...

The malt bill shouldn’t be too hard to guess, probably mostly pale, with a bit (~4%?) of medium crystal malt (“Nicely balanced by a very sturdy malt backbone.”). Mash ~150, aiming for an OG ~1.082. A bit of gypsum in your water wouldn’t be a bad idea to bring your sulfate levels up to ~150 ppm. Usually I’d add some sugar to an IPA that big, but it sounds a bit sweeter than the West coast representatives of the style.

I’d bitter with ~3-4 oz of Columbus near the start of the boil, and then add ~2 oz of each hop at the end of the boil. Ferment with a clean American ale yeast. Once it is done (FG probably around 1.016) dry hop it with 1 oz of each of the hops, remove and repeat with another oz of each for a week before bottling (or better yet in the keg if you keg).

Hope that gives you a general direction, good luck.

I've always described the JuJu as Head Hunter on steroids, but according to the Fat Head's email list I'm subscribed to, they are coming out with an Imperial Head Hunter soon. This leads me to believe there are significant differences between the JuJu & Head Hunter ingredients, probably in the hops used. Now, the Imperial Head Hunter will be the scaled up version.

Like you said, I'm guessing they use either Columbus or Simcoe for bitterness early in the boil. It has some piney aroma, so maybe some late Amarillo or Chinook additions, as well as for dry-hopping.

I currently have an IPA in my primary. My goal was to somewhat create the hop flavor & aroma of the JuJu, just at a slightly lower ABV of 7.6% so I could drink more of it at one sitting. I'll post the results. It's got one more week in the primary & two in the secondary, dry-hopping for the last 7 days. I used Simcoe for bittering, Centennial & Amarillo for flavoring, & mostly chinook for aroma. I'm going for a citrusy flavor with a piney aroma (85 IBUs).

I got a brief chance to talk to Matt at a Columbus brew fest I was at over the weekend. He said the hop schedule is completely different for the JuJu. He also said he uses tons of Cascade & Chinook hops.

That's really all I got out of him since their booth was the only one with a line & he was pouring.

Thanks guys; I really appreciate your time and assitance... It's helpful that you are in Ohio and the notes on the hops really help. I will give it one more chance to try and email him directly and see if he can give me a better idea on the grain bill. But, for now this is a good start. I will start working on a recipe and post for your opinion.

All right... Here's what I'm thinking for a Partial Mash recipe, based on my calcs:

60 min boil; 5 gallon batch
OG - 1.088
FG - 1.021
ABV - 9.1%
96 IBU's

2lb 2 Row Malt
10lb 4 oz Light LME (1/2 at start and 1/2 at end of boil)
8 oz Crystal 40L
8 oz Carapils

2 oz Chinook @ 60
2 oz Chinook @ 45
1 oz Cascade @ 30
1 oz Cascade @ 15

Dry-hop with 1 oz Cascade & 1 oz of Chinook and depending on the flavors and aroma, maybe add an ounce of each into the keg for dispensing.

2 packs of US-05 yeast of course.

Any thoughts or critique? Thanks!

I'd add more hops. Say 1-2 oz of each at flameout and double the dry hop addition. I personally skip the mid-boil additions in IPAs since the early/late additions give more hop bang for your buck.

Malt looks fine, although I would sub in 1 lb of sugar for some of the LME to ensure good fermentability (although the US-05 will help since it is more attenuative than 001/1056).

Aroma is a key element of the JuJu, so I agree you should add more hops at flameout & for dry-hopping. I would stick to a 60 minute addition & everything else within the last 20 minutes or so. Also as a side note, for my IPA I have in the primary now, I let my flameout hops sit in the kettle for 30 minutes as it was sitting in the ice bath & I have a nice, piney aroma already. I think I read somewhere that Mitch Steele of Stone suggested this method.

The thing I remember liking most about the JuJu aside from the aroma was the way the hop flavors meshed with the sweet malt backbone of the beer. It's not an overly bitter beer, so be careful with the early hop additions. I've never used Chinook for bittering, so I can't give any advice there. Maybe someone else can. I used 1 oz Simcoe at 60 minutes for my IPA currently at 7.3% ABV & it's got a bitter kick to it, which I'm hoping will slightly fade in time so the other hop flavors can come thru a bit more.

Ok. I have sub'd 1lb corn sugar for some of the LME, but am confused with the hops now... I am running this recipe in BeerAlchemy and if I eliminate the 2 oz of hops at 45 min, I'm down into the 54 IBU range, so would need to increase my 60 min addition to almost 4 oz to make it up, especially with the elimination of the 30 min addition. I was also thinking of addiing some amarillo to get some more grapefruit notes as well. As you could see on the Fat Head's site, they listed it as 100 IBU's which is why I am trying to match that. Here's where I'm at now, with the 45 min addition:

60 min boil; 5 gallon batch
OG - 1.083
FG - 1.015
ABV - 9.0%
96 IBU's

2lb 2 Row Malt
8lb 4 oz Light LME (1/2 at start and 1/2 at end of boil)
1lb corn sugar
8 oz Crystal 40L
8 oz Carapils

2 oz Chinook @ 60
1.5 oz Chinook @ 45
1 oz Amarillo @ 15
1 oz Cascade @ 15
1 oz Chinook @ flameout
1 oz Cascade @ flameot
2 oz Cascade dryhopped
2 oz Chinook dryhopped

I have seen a lot of recipes with some wheat added. Is that just for smoothness and mouthfeel or another reason? Thanks!

I guess the hops you use just depends on personal preference. If you like a little more bitterness to your IPAs, I'd say your hops look good. If you're going more for a sweet, malty flavor, I'd only add 1-1.5 Chinook at 60 minutes. MY current IPA is 7.3% ABV. I used 1 oz Simcoe at 60 minutes & everything else within the last 20 minutes...it came out pretty bitter. Chinook & Simcoe both are at 13 AA, so you'll get a lot of bitterness with the early additions.

If I brew an IIPA based on the JuJu in the future, I'd sub amber LME for the light LME. The JuJu color is more of a burnt orange than golden. The sweetness from the malt tastes almost caramelly to me. Other than that, I'd leave the grain bill as you have it.

For the hops, I'd alternate between Chinook & Cascade to get all the grapefruit, citrus, & pine flavors & aromas. The following hop schedule gets me to 107 IBUs per my Brew Pal app...
- 1 oz Chinook 60 min
- 2 oz Cascade 20 min
- 2 oz Chinook 15 min
- 2 oz Cascade 10 min
- 2 oz Chinook 5 min
- 2 oz each Cascade & Chinook at flameout
- 2 oz each Cascade & Chinook dry-hop 7 days

That's just me. I like a little less bitterness & more malt from my IIPAs. Let us know what you decide on & post some updates. I'm really interested to see how this turns out! Cheers :mug:

...Oh, I forgot to mention I like your Amarillo idea. Amarillo & Chinook pair nicely together if you plan on including substituting it in your recipe.

Allright. I see what you are talking about regarding alternating the hops and realize that my hop schedule may not have infused enough aromas and flavors that I want... So, below you can see my final recipe. I am pretty sure yours and my discrepancies in IBU's is because I do partial boils, which is the main reason that I am splitting the malt. Still doing the 2 oz @ 60, but am at 101 IBU's. Changed 1/2 of the malt to amber for more realistic color. Thanks again for all of your help; it's nice to have some input from someone that has had the beer recently and can provide their input especially considering that I had the beer 4 months ago with many many other beers! I'm going to get the ingredients this weekend and go over the recipe with my buddy as he will brew it due to the fact that I won't have room in my fermentation chamber and that he's great at brewing clones. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Hop Juju Clone

Selected Style and BJCP Guidelines
14C-India Pale Ale(IPA)-Imperial IPA

Minimum OG: 1.070 SG Maximum OG: 1.090 SG
Minimum FG: 1.010 SG Maximum FG: 1.020 SG
Minimum IBU: 60 IBU Maximum IBU: 120 IBU
Minimum Color: 8.0 SRM Maximum Color: 15.0 SRM

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 2.50 US gals Wort Volume After Boil: 2.12 US gals
Volume Transferred: 2.00 US gals Water Added To Fermenter: 3.00 US gals
Volume At Pitching: 5.00 US gals Volume Of Finished Beer: 4.75 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.032 SG Expected OG: 1.083 SG
Expected FG: 1.015 SG Apparent Attenuation: 80.2 %
Expected ABV: 9.0 % Expected ABW: 7.0 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 101.3 IBU Expected Color (using Morey): 11.6 SRM
BU:GU ratio: 1.23 Approx Color:
Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 64 degF

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
US 2-Row Malt 2lb 0oz 16.3 % 0.7 In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 40L Malt 8.00 oz 4.1 % 3.8 In Mash/Steeped
US Carapils Malt 8.00 oz 4.1 % 0.1 In Mash/Steeped
Extract - Light Liquid Malt Extract 4lb 2oz 33.7 % 2.6 Start Of Boil
Extract - Amber Liquid Malt Extract 4lb 2oz 33.7 % 12.7 End Of Boil
Sugar - Corn Sugar/Dextrose (Dry) 1lb 0oz 8.2 % 0.0 End Of Boil

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
US Chinook 11.4 % 2.00 oz 54.6 Loose Pellet Hops 60 Min From End
US Amarillo 5.0 % 2.00 oz 14.5 Loose Pellet Hops 20 Min From End
US Chinook 11.4 % 1.00 oz 13.5 Loose Pellet Hops 15 Min From End
US Cascade 4.5 % 2.00 oz 7.8 Loose Pellet Hops 10 Min From End
US Chinook 11.4 % 2.00 oz 10.9 Loose Pellet Hops 5 Min From End
US Chinook 11.4 % 2.00 oz 0.0 Loose Pellet Hops At turn off
US Cascade 4.5 % 2.00 oz 0.0 Loose Pellet Hops At turn off
US Cascade 4.5 % 2.00 oz 0.0 Loose Pellet Hops Dry-Hopped
US Chinook 11.4 % 2.00 oz 0.0 Loose Pellet Hops Dry-Hopped

Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When

Yeast
DCL US-05 (formerly US-56) SafAle

Water Profile
Target Profile: No Water Profile Chosen
Mash pH: 5.2
pH Adjusted with: Unadjusted

Total Calcium (ppm): 0 Total Magnesium (ppm): 0
Total Sodium (ppm): 0 Total Sulfate (ppm): 0
Total Chloride(ppm): 0 Total Bicarbonate (ppm): 0

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Extract with Steeped Grains
Schedule Name: No Chosen Schedule

Step Type Temperature Duration

Recipe Notes

One more note - do you guys still think that I should mash at 150F instead of my usual 155F or with the corn sugar do you think we are good?

Based on my limited knowledge of mash temps, I've read that mashing at a higher temp like 155 will give you more maltiness, where 150 would dry it out more. Since it's an IIPA around 9%, I'd shoot for 155.

Like I said, I'm definitely no expert on how mash temps truly influence flavor/gravity. There's other factors involved like the percentage of fermentables you're getting from the grain vs extract. I know there are some good threads on here on that topic or maybe someone else can chime in.

I'd mash low since you are already getting a lot of unfermentables from the extract (especially the amber). My concern with any IIPA recipe is that if it gets too sweet it will taste too much like a barleywine. I tend to mash mine ~150 F even with some sugar.

Ok guys, I think I will mash at a lower temp just to be safe... I have only recently learned of this concept as well, so will try and see how it goes. Thanks again!

Well, we brewed this beer on Saturday... I think everything remained the same, except that we adjusted the first hop addition to accommodate the different Alpha %'s of the hops, so the 60 min addition was only an ounce and the rest were all 2 ounces. We attempted to steep the grains at 150F, but it was difficult to maintain that temp, so we may have gone slightly over.

The house smelled amazing and the kettle was almost like a hop porridge. The downsize of that which I hadn't completely thought through (as I have never brewed such a hoppy beer) is how much liquid was lost due to the hops. So, we only ended up with a little over 3.5 gallons at fermentation and that's with us undershooting our OG... So, I guess next time I need to make the recipe for a 6.5 gallon batch to actually get 5 gallons. So, our OG is now 1.077 and it has started fermenting away; the fermentation chamber smells great when I open it up!

Thanks for your help and I will post the results as I go along.

Sounds good. With an OG of 1.077, you might end up somewhere in between the 7.5-8.5% ABV range depending on how your yeast performs. My 1.070 IPA came out to about 7.5% & the sample I had on Saturday when racking to my secondary was delicious (I used a lot of Chinook).

On the Fat Head's website, it says the JuJu comes out around 9%, but I've seen people on ratebeer.com & other sites enter it as 8.5-8.8% per the menu listing when they tried it. Matt has probably tweaked the recipe a little each time he brews it to try to improve upon it, so I wouldn't worry too much about undershooting the OG. You should get a good idea if you used a similar hop schedule regardless. Then, if you try to brew it again in the future, just compensate by adding a little more extract to get your OG to around 1.090ish.

Good point. I hadn't thought of the fact that theirs would possibly fluctuate as well. Yes, I hope that it will be a good representation and honestly, the way it smells I don't know how it could be bad... Besides, it might be for the best that it will be slightly lower in ABV for the first time having something similar to Hop Juju in many months! :)

I went back and looked at your description of your IPA and it sounds amazing; keep me posted on how it turns out. We may have to do an exchange if we like both of ours...

Well, we bottled this beer yesterday due to time constraints for my party at the end of the month... The beer finished out with an FG of 1.016, so it ended up at 8.2% ABV. I was only able to dryhop the Cascade and Chinook for a week, but didn't get as much of the pine notes that I was looking for.

In fact, it had more fruit notes than I expected and a nose somewhat reminiscent of passionfruit; could that be from the Amarillo? It still has the pine flavors with a big amount of fruitiness in the middle and a sharp hop finish. We'll see how it turns out after carbonation, but I think that we will really enjoy it. Now if only I could have some of the real stuff to taste it against! I heard that they were selling 4 packs of their Head Hunter IPA and wish that they would do the same with their Hop Juju so I could get someone to send me a few!

I'll post more notes after tasting with carbonation.

I bottled mine a week ago...just waiting for it to carb up. The sample I had at bottling tasted great! However, it wasn't at all what I expected. It sounds very similar to yours...very citrusy/fruity at the beginning with a nice bite at the end. I would almost describe it as hop juice. I definitely got a nice piney aroma. I used Centennial & Amarillo for flavor, so I'm guessing the fruity flavor came from the pairing of those two between 20-10 minutes left in the boil.

Like I said, it's like no other IPA I've had before. That's for sure. The IPAs I usually like to drink feature Simcoe, Cascade, Columbus, or Centennial hops. Maybe I'll try an imperial version someday & we'll see how close to the JuJu it comes. With more of a malt backbone it could be even better.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Oh...as another side note, Fat Head's took the JuJu off their upcoming brews list. Now they only list the Imperial Head Hunter & another IPA using some recently discovered hops Matt got at this year's hop selection...can't remember the name of it off hand, but it was good the first time I had it.

Really.. I wonder if they aren't going to make it anymore or will just cycle it in and out with the Imperial Head Hunter????

That's interesting that yours came out similar to mine in the flavor department, but it sounds like you may have gotten more of the pineyness that I was hoping for. Probably from the centennial I would guess.

I have a house IPA that I do with a large hop selection, but my favorite part is that I dryhop Columbus and it gets this wonderful dank/pungent character...

On another note - I was looking at beeradvocate and ratebeer for reference to see what others' notes were on the Hop Juju when I taste and found an interesting post. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/19544/52928/?ba=adamette . As you can see 4 reviews down a guy named jampics2 says that he spoke with the brewer September of last year and he uses Columbus and Simcoe, which honestly might make more sense. I wonder if he just told you a couple of the hops that he used and the other two might be the missing piece to the puzzle?

No matter what, it sounds like we've got some good beers, but after tasting I may decide to modify the recipe slightly for the next batch as well. We definitely should consider a trade...

I kind of expected there to be more to the hop schedule...just two hops seemed too simple for such a complex beer. I only got to talk to him for a minute at that brew fest, so I've been hoping to see him at the brewery to talk more.

Also, after about 3 weeks of not having the JuJu on the upcoming beers list, it was on there once again in the email I got yesterday. I wonder if they had a problem with the first batch & had to make it again???

As for mine, I plan on cracking one open this week to see if it's ready. If it's good, I'll definitely be up for a swap. The only thing that has me a little worried is that I thought I had an extra bag of priming sugar when I bottled, but I couldn't find it. According to Brew Pal, I needed 1.7-3.7 oz. I only had a little over 2 oz left over from my previous beer, so hopefully that was enough to carbonate it. I usually use about 3.5-4 oz & get perfect carbonation. We'll see...

I kind of expected there to be more to the hop schedule...just two hops seemed too simple for such a complex beer. I only got to talk to him for a minute at that brew fest, so I've been hoping to see him at the brewery to talk more.

Also, after about 3 weeks of not having the JuJu on the upcoming beers list, it was on there once again in the email I got yesterday. I wonder if they had a problem with the first batch & had to make it again???

As for mine, I plan on cracking one open this week to see if it's ready. If it's good, I'll definitely be up for a swap. The only thing that has me a little worried is that I thought I had an extra bag of priming sugar when I bottled, but I couldn't find it. According to Brew Pal, I needed 1.7-3.7 oz. I only had a little over 2 oz left over from my previous beer, so hopefully that was enough to carbonate it. I usually use about 3.5-4 oz & get perfect carbonation. We'll see...

I find that if you use too many hops the beer actually turns out less complex with sort of a generic hoppiness. 3 is usually the magic number for my super-hoppy beers.

If you are short on priming sugar you can always use table sugar, just reduce the amount by 10%. It is all I use anymore.

Update: Have tasted multiple times over the last few months and have noticed that the passionfruit nose and flavor is still very present. It does have a slight hint of pine in the nose, but that is outshown by the malty and fruity aroma. Flavor starts out with a sweet fruitiness and malty backbone with caramel overtones and finishes with a strong dry bitterness with the passionfruit linger on the palate...

My buddy that brewed this with me loves it and thinks that it is very well balanced, but for me, I still think that the passionfruit needs to die down and the pine notes need to be kicked up. So, we will be brewing Hop Juju 2.0 in a little over a week with an adjusted hop schedule including the two additional hops - Simcoe & Columbus. I hope that this will take the beer where I want it and hope make it better.

How did yours turn out CTownBrewer? Also, on a side note, I made a beer sorbet with this last week and it is very interesting. I like it, but my girlfriend said she wasn't too sure about it. I have yet to get some to my buddy to try but considering his love for the beer, I highly doubt that he will have any issues with the sorbet! It definitely packs a whollop as we did not boil any of the alcohol off, so it's dessert and a nightcap in one. :cross:

I like mine. I think it's getting better the more it carbs & sits. Before it was a strong fruity taste up front followed by sharp bitterness at the end. Now it seems like both have toned down a bit & the flavors blend together nicely in the middle of the taste. My brother drank the 2 I gave him uncarbed & said it was his favorite IPA.

I'm still not totally happy with it though, but it's more from an aesthetic perspective. I think I was in so much of a rush to get my barleywine made/pitched on the IPA yeast cake that I transferred the IPA to my secondary too soon while some yeast was still suspended. When I bottled the IPA, a lot of that leftover sediment got into the bottles. It didn't help that my "helper" agitated the secondary when moving it for siphoning. Plus, the lack of priming sugar has led to taking forever for this beer to carb. It's got about a half inch of head on the pour now. I'm in the middle of cold crashing it because the one I had a week ago had chill haze even though it's crystal clear in the bottle.

I'm interested in the 2.0 you're brewing. Columbus hops are what makes their Head Hunter so good, so that should definitely add to the flavor profile.

Well, like you I am very hard on my brews and if they don't end up where I was envisioning I can't always get on the train, whereas your brother and my buddy love our attempts... I feel similar in regards to rushing as I was looking over my notes a few days ago in preparation for brewing this Saturday and it looks like I rushed this one as well. Evidently, I needed the space in the kegerator and was running out of time for the beer to be ready, so decided to dryhop in the primary and then rack to the keg from there. No wonder, there is a crapload of hops and yeast in the bottom of my bottles! Well, you live you learn.

Yes, I really am looking forward to this one as well and hope it will meet my expectations more, especially with some added patience.

Update: We tasted Hop Juju 1 & 2.0 last night against one another...

The 2.0 has been in the bottle just over 4 weeks and I bottled with brown sugar. 2.0 has a clean nose with some malt and hop presence, but actually seems really balanced for an IIPA. Has a great amount of roasted malt character and strong bitterness and finishes dry with some pine notes. The passionfruit notes and flavor is still present, but the beer is really clean.

The first version has a strong roasted malt nose and passionfruit character. It also has a lot of caramael notes and strong malt presence, yet a good amount of bitterness and dry linger. It has more of a warm alcohol character than 2.0, even though both are 8.2% ABV.

The verdict, I like 2.0 better due to the fact that it has more of a hop aroma with pine notes and is very clean and smooth, whereas my buddy likes the first version better due to the caramel malt notes and strong malt character. The first iteration does not seem as balanced as 2.0 and maybe that's why I like 2.0. So, it sounds like he will take the first version recipe and brew it from here on out and I will brew 2.0! All in all, I think we have two really good recipes of beers that people will like and if not, that's more for us! :mug:

To be honest, mine was a good IPA, but not JuJu.

On Fat Head's website, they list the ingredients for every beer now, so that gives me a new starting point. I put my guesses next to each ingredient, since I don't have Beersmith handy at the moment. If this comes out too sweet, I'd replace some of the pale malt with corn sugar.

Grain Bill
- Pale (~92%)
- C-15 (~5%)
- Caramel Light (~3%...CaraPils or an English Caramel Malt?)

Hops
- Chinook (Bittering)
- Centennial (Mid-Boil)
- Simcoe (Mid-Boil)
- Cascade (Flavor/Aroma)
- Citra (Flavor/Aroma)

Yeast
- American Ale

Gravities
- OG 20 Plato
- FG 5 Plato (which seems really high to me for as dry as this beer drinks)

To be honest, mine was a good IPA, but not JuJu.

On Fat Head's website, they list the ingredients for every beer now, so that gives me a new starting point. I put my guesses next to each ingredient, since I don't have Beersmith handy at the moment. If this comes out too sweet, I'd replace some of the pale malt with corn sugar.

Grain Bill
- Pale (~92%)
- C-15 (~5%)
- Caramel Light (~3%...CaraPils or an English Caramel Malt?)

Hops
- Chinook (Bittering)
- Centennial (Mid-Boil)
- Simcoe (Mid-Boil)
- Cascade (Flavor/Aroma)
- Citra (Flavor/Aroma)

Yeast
- American Ale

Gravities
- OG 20 Plato
- FG 5 Plato (which seems really high to me for as dry as this beer drinks)

how did this turn out I'm looking to clone this one

Are there any updates to this? Any new recipes or standing recipes that have been improved? Would really like to have some juju year round!

*6 year bump* Any updates? The latest batch was fantastic so was making me want to try a recipe. They've updated some of the ingredients they previously used - Fat Head's Brewery Seasonals

1646092321174.png

I quickly tried to throw something together, but I'm definitely not an expert.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.43 gal
Post Boil Volume: 4.43 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 4.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 3.95 gal
Estimated OG: 1.081 SG
Estimated Color: 6.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 121.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU Volume
11 lbs 4.9 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 86.0 % 0.88 gal
10.5 oz Carahell (Weyermann) (13.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.0 % 0.05 gal
10.5 oz Caramel Malt - 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.0 % 0.05 gal
8.4 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 4 4.0 % 0.04 gal
0.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) [Boil] (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5 0.0 % 0.00 gal
0.50 oz Apollo [17.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 45.7 IBUs -
6.66 ml Cascade Hop Extract [60.00 %] (CO2 Extract) - Bo Hop 7 69.4 IBUs -
1.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs -
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs -
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min, 160 Hop 10 1.9 IBUs -
1.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10 Hop 11 2.0 IBUs -
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min, 16 Hop 12 2.1 IBUs -
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 m Yeast 13 - -
2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs -
1.00 oz Eukanot [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs -

The bittering hops are just what I have on hand and am trying to use up. I already have Mosaic, citra and simcoe, so I leaned more on those since I'll have to buy the Eukanot, which I've never used before.

Back