Lead Paint Test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

509inc

Reaction score
I went to Lowes to price new carpet and the guy said that since my house was built in 1935 I would have to pay for a Lead test. Well its obvious to me that there will be lead found.

So if the house fails the test what will the outcome be? I was told they report it and my homeowner insurance would skyrocket. Is that true? Anyone have any experience with this? What was the outcome?

I kinda of stuck with Lowes. Got tons on gift cards for xmas. But if the lead test is going to screw me over i'll figure out something else to spend the money on.

Well from what I have read the contractor is not required by the EPA to report their findings. I hope there is a contractor on here who could provided real experience.

Assuming that you fail this test, what are you required to do?

Well that question was basically that point of this thread. From what I read on the EPA website nothing except disclose that info if I sell the house and pay more to the contractor for the lead test. Where are the contractors at on HBT? I need some info from the pros.

There's new laws, I thought they were only in michigan, but they are evidently federal, about lead paint. I don't know the particulars, but my GF got a new front door setup fro Lowes and of course they swabbed and found lead on the old one, so she had to pay a special disposal fee.

I know contractors now have to go through a course on handling lead, and testing for lead, and are evidently supposed to test for lead on every job they do.

I think a lot of it, just gets handled by paying stupid fees for dissposal of small things, like the old doors...BUT at the other end some good friends of mine, who live in a really old house that has been in their family forever just had porch repairs done, and of course the contractor had to test, and since it was the exterior of the house, he ended up afterwords getting a notice for the city that he had to scrape and re-paint the entore house outside.

He's been laid off for awhile and their income is small and this little bit of governmental BS ended up costing him a lot of money he really didn't have.

I dont know the nuances of the laws, if you have any contactor friends talk to them, they should know more than I do, but it really sucks, that little jobs now end up as big jobs, or extra padded costs because of this.

Here's some of the particulars via googling.

http://www.homeconstructionimprovement.com/new-lead-paint-law-effective-april-22-2010/

New EPA Lead Paint Laws Effect Remodeling Projects
The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has new lead paint laws going into affect on April 22, 2010. The new lead paint laws require any renovation work performed on houses built before 1978 to be performed by a certified contractor. Obviously his new law is causing some serious moans and groans from both home owners and contractors. Contractors will be required to provide home owners the Renovate Right Brochure which contains useful information http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/renovaterightbrochure.pdf

Lead Renovation, Repair and Painting Law
The new lead paint laws that goes into affect on April 22 involves training and certification of remodelers, safe work-site practices, verification and record keeping. It’s very important to understand that the new law pertains to projects on any house built before 1978 with a few exceptions as follows:

•The home or child occupied facility was built after 1978.
•The repairs are minor, with interior work disturbing less than six sq. ft. or exteriors disturbing less than 20 sq. ft.
•The homeowner may also opt out by signing a waiver if there are no children under age six frequently visiting the property, no one in the home is pregnant, or the property is not a child-occupied facility. This is no longer true. The EPA just removed this waiver. (Ref).

•If the house or components test lead free by a Certified Risk Assessor, Lead Inspector, or Certified Renovator.
What Does The New Law Mean To You?
You’re probably wondering what this new law might mean to you and your next remodeling project. The obvious answer is a healthier home for you, your family and people that perform renovations to your home. The other obvious answer is an increased cost for contractors to adhere to the new rules which ultimately means an increased cost to you.

Over the last few months I’ve heard several small contractors say they will steer clear of and avoid older home renovations. A significant amount of small replacement window contractors will most likely go out of business and stop providing inexpensive window replacement services. While we think the new law is important in protecting public safety we also know it will result in much higher prices for consumers and less competition for consumers.

If you hire a contractor to do a renovation in your home that was built prior to 1978 be sure you hire a certified contractor. You should ask to see your contractors RRP certification prior to hiring them. Contractors performing work without the certification face penalties of $37,500 per day!

New Law Will Take Time To Work Effectively
With over 38 million homes containing lead paint in the US no one can argue the importance of good lead paint laws. However, from the few meetings and conversations I’ve had it’s clear to me that this is going to take some time before it’s very effective. Most of the literature and training has left contractors confused, upset and frustrated. However, with time these new laws will become part of everyday routines for contractors and ultimately help save lives. We certainly hope the EPA works quickly to fill in the blanks and help contractors implement this new law.

There's new laws, I thought they were only in michigan, but they are evidently federal, about lead paint.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Federal oversight of home improvements . . . .

Sorry . . . I'll be over here < points > sharpening my pitch fork

What the hell does lead paint have to do with carpet ??

Do you also have to have a Radon test?? Maybe check the ground water?? Sperm test ?? those little things can wreck havoc....

Not to rant but this is big government BS at its best. Yes lead is unhealthy, mainly for children. If you have them you should probably have it cleaned up for said children but do we really need laws forcing the carpet installers to rat you out to big brother?

/rant off.

Use the gift cards and buy the carpet and hire an installer with half a brain.

If you're getting the place repainted, I can understand needing the testing, if only for the health of the contractor who will be coming in contact with lead. May not be much on one job site, but over years the exposure could add up.

Unless the contractor is pulling down stuff with lead paint on it, I don't get this. Carpet guy's lead certification training should consist of, "Don't lick the walls dumb@ss."

Terje

Not to rant but this is big government BS at its best. Yes lead is unhealthy, mainly for children. If you have them you should probably have it cleaned up for said children but do we really need laws forcing the carpet installers to rat you out to big brother?

/rant off.

Better yet, dont let the kid eat it and all is well . . .

BUT at the other end some good friends of mine, who live in a really old house that has been in their family forever just had porch repairs done, and of course the contractor had to test, and since it was the exterior of the house, he ended up afterwords getting a notice for the city that he had to scrape and re-paint the entire house outside.

This is what I'm afraid will happen to me.

My SIL in VA wanted new windows (aluminum, not original & not painted) recently & she spoke to a contractor who took a sample took a paint sample off the inside sill, which was not being replaced. Contractor said he found lead and there would be a $200 fee per window. SIL talked to another contractor who said windows were aluminum & there was no lead paint on the window so there was no fee. She hired the second guy.

So I guess there are no general contractors on here how have wisdom to share.

Install the carpet yourself. I live in a very old farm house (1910) and will never pull permits for anything. Yes, I know it is a bad idea for selling the house. No I don't care. I couldn't affoard any home improvements if I had to pull permits. The whole house is completely out of code and a "safety hazard". Bah Humbug I say. My whole porch is painted with old as the hills lead paint. Guess who cares? .....

Just do the work yourself. Buy the proper tools, read about it, and put down the carpet. It isn't very hard. Save some cash, and feel good about doing it without risk of insurance premiums...

Looks like installing the carpet myself is the way to go.

Not sure how much home do-it-yourself you do, but a few tips about doing a new project when you have no experience.
1. Budget three times more time than you think you need.
2. Don't skimp on the tools.
3. If you get frustrated take a step back cool down and go back to work when you feel better.
4. Try as hard as you can to not take any shortcuts and pay attention to details.

Have fun, and sleep well at night in your death trap of a house :D

I did 1000sq ft of wood flooring with few issues just have never done carpet before.

wow this is stupid. My house has a lead water service. Water is one of the most corrosive substances known, yet its fine I guess. where is the government to save me?

Not sure how much home do-it-yourself you do, but a few tips about doing a new project when you have no experience.
1. Budget three times more time than you think you need.
2. Don't skimp on the tools.
3. If you get frustrated take a step back cool down and go back to work when you feel better.
4. Try as hard as you can to not take any shortcuts and pay attention to details.

Have fun, and sleep well at night in your death trap of a house :D

5. Measure twice, cut once....especially with carpet.

The law only requires the test if the contractor will be disturbing more than 6 square feet of painted surface.

In a carpet install, this might include removal of the floorboards. If there is no need to remove the floorboards, or if there aren't any (maybe because you've already removed them) ;) they shouldn't need to test.

In many cases, the treatment for lead paint is just to be sure it is properly sealed (not removed).

I had some linoleum replaced in my townhouse (built 1983). Since it was pre-1985, they had to do an asbestos test -- so don't forget that as well! :rolleyes:

The law only requires the test if the contractor will be disturbing more than 6 square feet of painted surface.

In a carpet install, this might include removal of the floorboards. If there is no need to remove the floorboards, or if there aren't any (maybe because you've already removed them) ;) they shouldn't need to test.

In many cases, the treatment for lead paint is just to be sure it is properly sealed (not removed).

If thats all it is i can remove the trim/floorboard since for the free install I have to rip up the old carpet anyways.

With the money you'll be saving in labor, put down hardwood. Easy to do, lasts longer/better resale value.

With the money you'll be saving in labor, put down hardwood. Easy to do, lasts longer/better resale value.

SWMBO said carpet in the front room. I already put down wood in the bedrooms and dinning room.

Well from what I have read the contractor is not required by the EPA to report their findings. I hope there is a contractor on here who could provided real experience.

It is possible you could get nailed for fraud if you know there is lead paint and don't report it to the insurance company. Unlikely, but possible.

Could you buy a bunch of stuff with the gift cards, then return them for cash?

Does that actually work?

I honestly dont know.

Nope, they will need a receipt and that will show you paid with a gift card and that is what they will give you back. And if you don't have a receipt then you get a gift card.

If thats all it is i can remove the trim/floorboard since for the free install I have to rip up the old carpet anyways.

I'd print the brochure that Revvy linked to, and take it with you to Lowes. Tell them that the law states testing isn't required for do it yourself projects (your removal of carpet and baseboards), and that the contractor won't be disturbing any painted surfaces. Then see what they say.

I should also note that removal of the baseboards may not even be necessary to begin with.

It's possible though, that their coporate policy doesn't allow for exceptions, so I'd want to talk to them about it before taking any action.

It is possible you could get nailed for fraud if you know there is lead paint and don't report it to the insurance company. Unlikely, but possible.

My thought is the house was built in 1935 so it is a given there will be some lead based paint somewhere.

My thought is the house was built in 1935 so it is a given there will be some lead based paint somewhere.

On the insurance application that you initially signed it would ask if there was any. If you marked it no and find out there is and don't notify them, they could classify it as fraud.

Well it has yet to be tested so I have plausible deniability. But if all paint had lead in 1935 I don't see how the house could not have lead based paint somewhere unless between now and then its been gutted and remodeled.

Well it has yet to be tested so I have plausible deniability.

Exactly, if they were to come in and find some the most they could do would be cancel you. If you honestly didn't know there isn't much they can do. If you intentionally withheld the information though it is a different story.

And many older homes have had all the paint stripped and then repainted.

Back