Having evil thoughts...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoradoXJ13

Reaction score
Came home from work today and lo and behold, there is a 1/2 barrel AB keg sitting by the trash bins for my townhouse complex. It is about 1/2-2/3 full still by weight...not planning on drinking it, who knows what it has been thought, but I am having evil, evil thoughts, maybe i should grab it before it disappears.:D

Biermann said:
wow, that's hard. If it's sitting in the trash, I figure its fair game.

well, next to the trash....shoot, if I could get the $15 deposit back I would take it, but liquor stores wont do that.

knipknup said:
Nothing but the makings of a keggle...

Thats what I was thinking...

Biermann said:
Do you have any idea who was using the keg?? You could always ask to see what its disposition is.

My guess would be the teenagers who sort of used the house two doors down from me as a party/crash pad. One of their moms owned the place, the whole family is trouble (mother got arrested for trying to go through courthouse security with pot in her purse when going in for the kids drug trial). The house finally sold a couple weeks ago and there are construction guys redoing the place, my guess would be it got left behind. All the other college kids in the complex wouldn't be so stupid as to leave a keg half full and throw it out.

I'm gonna go get it in a little bit, now I just have to see if I still have a sankey tap around somewhere, I think I may have lent mine out a couple years ago and never got it back. Need to get it empty, don't really want a 1/2 of a keg of bud light sitting around...

K, its in my kitchen draining into the sink, born on date of Aug 1, 2005....not gonna even think about drinking it.

Note to self: must release the tap before tapping or beer shoots everywhere.

Note #2: check that the tap valve is closed before tapping a 1.5 year old keg as contents are under pressure and will release all over the kitchen floor...

thank god there is no SWMBO as my house smells like old bud light and my kitchen is a mess...the dog likes bud light though.

any links on constructing a keggle? I probably just need to cut it open, I have no intentions of needing a ball valve, I usually cool in my brewpot (well, my neighbors brew pot I borrow...thus need for a keggle) whirlpool and then siphon into the fermenter.

Well, orfy, if you really want to make yourself feel completely fine with it, call Anheuser-Busch's 800 number and tell them you have one of their kegs. Tell them they have a week to come pick it up at your house if they want it... then give them a couple of days when you will be available.

Wait a week. They won't pick it up, then it is yours.

There is a doctrine of finder's keepers. And even though it is known to be their property, that doesn't mean they can decline to retrieve it...

Toot. It's not me who needs to feel fine about it. I know what I'd do and I'd have no problems with it.
But I also know in the UK people do get arrested and fined for the theft of kegs on a regular business. It's probably different in the States. Just because you haven't broke into somewhere or stolen it from the rightful owner doesn't mean it's not stolen property.
On all of these keg discussion that come up regularly you'll never see me saying that someone should or shouldn't, you'll never see me passing judgement but you will see me stating the facts so that people can make up there own mind And when they do you'll never see me judging them for what they do.
Just for reference the crime of theft for purposes of prosecution is the act of taking without consent with the intention of depriving the owner of their property.

Not that it matters one bit what I think but it's up to the individual what they do. I'm sure I break traffic regulations and all sorts of stuff. I ain't on any high horse over this or other matters.
Education allows people to make informed choices.

But this is a little heavy for a light hearted thread.

TAKE IT AND RUN, somebody will !!! here in the U.S. this keg will either get buried for a quad zillion years if it goes to refuge or if its lucky will make it to a recycle center either way I think it would be better made into a keggle of yours getting used . Either way it will not make it back to AB.

there's no reason why the keg cannot make it back to AB. just bring it to the closest liquor store and they will give it back to AB. then you'll have done your good deed for the day.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
I have no intentions of needing a ball valve, I usually cool in my brewpot (well, my neighbors brew pot I borrow...thus need for a keggle) whirlpool and then siphon into the fermenter.

If you do AG or are thinking about doing it, you'll need to also use it for heating strike water, sparge water, etc. And you'll want a ball valve because the thing is too heavy to lift and pour comfortably.

I would like to report a missing AB keg. My ex-wife was high as a kite and let my step-son throw some party in my old house. She stole money from my wallet so that kid could buy a keg of Bud Light. Please put it back where you found it and I will come and pick it up.

orfy said:
But I also know in the UK people do get arrested and fined for the theft of kegs on a regular business. It's probably different in the States. Just because you haven't broke into somewhere or stolen it from the rightful owner doesn't mean it's not stolen property.

The kids, or whoever, originally bought the keg had to leave a deposit for it. Since the keg was never returned, that deposit money would have made it to the rightful, original owner of the keg by now. So, it seems like that keg was paid for then thrown out by the new owners(the kids), once it's in the trash, it's fair game for all:rockin: just my opinion though....:D

If it was trash you are a recycler and that is always a good thing, that is what I think. You have to follow your heart and make up your own mind.

todd_k said:
I would like to report a missing AB keg. My ex-wife was high as a kite and let my step-son throw some party in my old house. She stole money from my wallet so that kid could buy a keg of Bud Light. Please put it back where you found it and I will come and pick it up.

Ahh, then I'd like to talk to you about some damages caused by your son and his friends. Give me a call, I'd be happy to return the keg for restitution for all the garbage I have had to pick up around my house after your son's parties, and all the times his friends decided to park in my spot, and my vehicle was damaged...:D

cnbudz said:
The kids, or whoever, originally bought the keg had to leave a deposit for it. Since the keg was never returned, that deposit money would have made it to the rightful, original owner of the keg by now. So, it seems like that keg was paid for then thrown out by the new owners(the kids), once it's in the trash, it's fair game for all:rockin: just my opinion though....:D

The deposit for the keg was probably nowhere near the actual replacement cost to AB for the keg, which may be over $100. So the presence of the deposit doesn't nessecarily mean that the keg is not the property of AB.

Craig5_12 said:
Take it, use it, make a really good homebrew and then give the nearest AB rep the brew so they know what good beer tastes like.....

Agreed!

Best thing that keg's going to see inside of it ever again. Put it out of it's misery.

edit: (mine's a Miller Brewing Co. keg ;) )

Bah, no guilt. It was put out for the trash. Fair game unless an AB truck went driving down your street, saw it, and the driver tried to yank it out of your hands.

It's yours. End of story. Now cut the top off that thing, drill it, and brew. :rockin:

Now when the AB police show up, I'd smile and say "Colorado XJ who??" :drunk:

:D
Ize

Latest posts

Back