Substitute for Munich LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassman

Reaction score
I want to brew the American Amber Ale from BCS. It calls for .7 lbs. of Munich LME. My LHBS does not carry Munich LME, although they may be able to get it. But it's such a small amount and they only sell pre-packaged LME in 3.3 packages and I don't want to waste all the extra LME. Any suggestions for a good substitute? As far as I know Munich extract is only sold in liquid form.

I don't want to start mini-mashing at this point and I don't think I can steep Munich malt. Any thoughts?

With Munich, the only difference between steeping and a mini-mash is the temperature. It is self-converting, so 60 minutes at 150F will do it.

David mentioned the most logical answer. You can start with Sparkling Amber extract from Briess, it is made with 2-row, munich and crystal 60.

With Munich, the only difference between steeping and a mini-mash is the temperature. It is self-converting, so 60 minutes at 150F will do it.

Would I need to do a thicker steep? So it would be more like a mash? I'm trying to avoid the complexity of a mash, but if it is only a matter of steeping lower and thicker then I'm sure I can deal.

My only concern with the Briess Amber extract, other than wasting a good bit of it, is that it also contains caramel malt, which I'm already adding.

My only concern with the Briess Amber extract, other than wasting a good bit of it, is that it also contains caramel malt, which I'm already adding.

The amber would be in place of the 2-row, munich and some of the crystal. It's not really a practical solution, just more to make the point that doing a simple mash for your munich is your best bet.

Thanks to all the replies.

This is clearly part of the homebrewing gods plans to get me to mash!

Thanks to all the replies.

This is clearly part of the homebrewing gods plans to get me to mash!

It's unavoidable with certain styles. I'm still primarily an extract brewer, but I occasionally brew a mini mash if the style requires a base malt that I can't find in extract form.

Just steep 1lb of munich for an hour at ~ 150-152. Pat yourself on the back when you're done because you've just done a Mash. ;)

I don't know why you think you would need to waste it... I've had good results with just using a "chip clip" on my extra DME. I've kept DME for several months with no clumping.

I could only find Munich extract as a LME, not DME. So that won't last.

Back