questions about cleaning copper manifold, and wort cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorefingers23

Reaction score
i was reading that i should clean my wort chiller in boiling water and vinegar before using it, and was wondering should i have done the same for my copper mash tun manifold as well?

Because it's used before the boil, contamination is not a concern because the wort will be boiled before fermentation. If it is caked in crud, then yes, you should clean it.

ok so the fact that i used it for my first all grain batch and didnt clean it with vinegar and water, wont affect the taste of my beer?

If this is the first time you used it, you would have been wise to clean it thoroughly with an alkaline cleaner like Oxyclean or dishwasher detergent in hot water to remove any grease, oil or dirt that was present. Then a rinse with vinegar in water to neutralize and dissolve any excess oxidation present. After the first use, the wort will dissolve or reduce the oxides of copper and give you a shiny coppery chiller. No need to clean it after that unless it sits a long time and corrodes again to brown or green colors. If it does, a water and vinegar soak will take care of it.

Latest posts

Back