Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffrideal

Reaction score
I am almost ready to bottle my Ale (first batch) and my brother told me not to bottle, unless all of the krausen has settled and there is none on top of the fermented beer. I am not using the hydrometer, so I am relying on this and the fact that the lock is barely bubbling.

Barely bubbling is too much bubbling. You need to wait until there is no foam and no airlock activity...and then wait some more. Wait a week after all activity is stopped, the yeast has settled and the surface is clear of any foam. Wait at least one extra week.

Your beer will be better for it and your bottles won't explode ;)

jeffrideal said:
I am almost ready to bottle my Ale (first batch) and my brother told me not to bottle, unless all of the krausen has settled and there is none on top of the fermented beer. I am not using the hydrometer, so I am relying on this and the fact that the lock is barely bubbling.

How long has it been fermenting?? It's best to wait until there is no activity in the fermenter (or at least until it's slowed down to one bubble every 2-3 minutes). I usually ferment in the primary for a week, and secondary for two more weeks. By then, there's no activity at all.

Uncle Fat said:
How long has it been fermenting?? It's best to wait until there is no activity in the fermenter (or at least until it's slowed down to one bubble every 2-3 minutes). I usually ferment in the primary for a week, and secondary for two more weeks. By then, there's no activity at all.

I tried some brew vigor in one of my batches just to compare fermenting time and the one with brew vigor was faster. I have one that started with OG at 1085 and it went into the secondary on the Jan 10. And everyday like a litte kid I check it is it ready yet, is it ready yet. I cant see the bubbles rising but I have patches of bubbles on top and still have pressure on my airlock. I know its not ready, but I just cant seem to find any patience, so I always have to brew something at the same time that will be ready faster, with a lower gravity. Its like a hobby that never gets old. Homebrewing Rocks

Back