Dunkles Weissbier Bavarian Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerme70

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast Wheat
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
unk
Final Gravity
unk
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
dark, dark, dark
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5-7 @ 65-70
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 @ 65-70
I'm not sure if it's a "sin" per say, but I don't measure my starting or final gravity. I don't want to take any chances on skunking up the beer.

6 lbs. Briess wheat malt extract
1 lb. honey
1 cup Belgian candy syrup
1 lb. chocolate malt (grain)
1 lb. carapils malt [120 Lovibond] (grain)
3 squares unsweetened baking chocolate
bittering hop - 1 oz. perle (8%) for 45 min.
aroma hop - 1 oz. hallertau (2.5%) for 15 min.
Wyeast wheat yeast (4.25 oz.)

Very dark, very heavy, high alcohol content (appox 8%).

I'll steep my grains from the start until water temp hits 150 degrees, then it's business as usual. Add extract, honey, baking chocolate, and candy syrup.

After primary fermentation, I'll rack into a carboy and add some gelatine finings and let sit for about 3 days or so.

Bottle condition (about a week is needed).

Crack one open, pour, drink, enjoy, repeat if necessary.

I am also shy of taking gravity readings. I guess I need to break myself of it. But, I do not want to keep opening up the fermenter. I am also thinking the more I mess with the wort the more chance I got to contaminate.

irishwater said:
I am also shy of taking gravity readings. I guess I need to break myself of it. But, I do not want to keep opening up the fermenter. I am also thinking the more I mess with the wort the more chance I got to contaminate.
Being new to brewing I can understand that you don't know the limitations, etc., but some breweries have "open fermenters"...which means they don't have covers on their fermenters.;)

The honey is there purely for the alcohol. Added at the beginning of the boil, there is no honey taste. I guess you could say it's not TRUE bavarian, but a true weizen should also be lagered, but I don't do that either.

Back