best research ever...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jro238

Reaction score
So I stumbled on this paper earlier today while doing some literature review at work (unfortunately not for anything beer related).

Effects of brewer's yeast cell wall on constipation and defecation in experimentally constipated rats. (Lino et al., 2001)

In a nut shell they gave rats a large dose of loperimide (Imodium) to constipate them then fed them either brewers yeast cell wall, a non-fiber diet (negative control), or a high cellulose diet (which should cause a significant laxative effect). They then measured how much the rats pooped and found that those who had the brewers yeast cell wall in their diet pooped significantly more!!!

Finally (at least as of 2001) science might make use of the same effect that every homebrew drinker has known about since their first brew!

I can confirm this research, and it's affects on the human body.

I don't know about all that, but the yeast at the bottom of my bottles gives me some epic, thundering, room-clearing beer farts

I completely agree with you on this one! Especially meritorious when the store isle is blocked & my wife needs room to get to something. When out of the past come the thundering shock tremors of HB Fartman to the rescue! "behold the awsome power of my buttocks"!! :drunk::D

Back