stopper not staying in carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisgoestoeleven

Reaction score
I just transfered an imperial oatmeal stout to secondary. It's been a while since I've done anything in a carboy, and I noticed that the stopper keeps sliding up the lip of the carboy instead of staying snug in the neck. I'm going to the homebrew shop on Saturday, so I'll probably pick up another stopper and see if that does the trick. If that doesn't work, are there any suggestions for keeping the carboy airtight for long periods? I'm planning on leaving it in secondary for at least a few months, throw a vanilla bean in there for a week or so before bottling.

Assuming that the bung and carboy neck are wet with sanitizer? Just dry the area with a clean paper towel and all will be fine

i keep a roll of 6 inch stretch wrap, buy Lowes. good for multiple uses. two or three wraps around top of carboy and bung. nothjing moves. Easy to remove later.

If either the bung or the Carboy are wet it will not stay in. Dry off with a towel and it will stay just fine.

Why keep it airtight? Put a cap and airlock on instead and keep the airlock filled with water/vodka/sanitizer. Any continued fermentation will be building up pressure inside a sealed container.

carboy cap.

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Universal-Carboy-Cap.html

I frequently have the same problem.

another advantage to carboy cap is when you are ready to rack you can pull out your airlock and put your siphon hose down through the same hole. Remove the other cap and apply low CO2 pressure (or blow on it... yuck!) to start your siphon flowing (then remove the CO2 pressure)

I like the caps.
It's even more important to have everything dry when you use one of those, or at least I had more problems.

i like the cap but a few tight rounds with regular saran wrap / cling film will do the trick, like those weird luggage mummifiers in airports

Why keep it airtight? Put a cap and airlock on instead and keep the airlock filled with water/vodka/sanitizer. Any continued fermentation will be building up pressure inside a sealed container.

I'm pretty sure he is talking about a bung that's drilled for an airlock(at least I hope so) I use the caps also and like them. Quick and easy.

Back