Pecan Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jknapp12105

Reaction score
I am only a third timer so please give me some tips.
- I want to make a Porter that has a Pecan kick. Could I boil some Pecan wood and then let it soak in my Primary or Secondary?

What are you going for? Smokey/woody or pecan. For pecan, you can roast a bunch of pecans and add them to the mash or late in the boil. For smokey/woody you could smoke your grain with pecan or I guess put some chips in your secondary. I've never aged a brew on wood but I have done a pecan brown that was pretty awesome.

Get raw pecans, break them up lightly just to expose a little extra surface area. Get yourself a bunch of brown lunch bags. Roast the pecans at I think 250 for 15 or so minutes, careful not to burn them. Put them a bag and shake to remove as much oil as possible. Repeat 3-4 times. Let them sit for a couple days to mellow out then add them towards the bottom of your mash. If you're not doing all grain, add them to the last 15 or so minutes of your boil. You'll probably get more flavor if you put them in the boil. I apologize, I don't have my notes in front of me but I'm pretty sure I used about 1lb in a five gallon batch. Do a search for Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan. That's a good place to start.

Back