wyeast french saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saccharomycetaceae

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm using Wyeast's French Saison right now for the first time and noticed a smell I wasn't particularly excited about when I did my second aeration (I sometimes aerate a second time about 12 hrs. after pitching).
For those with experience with this yeast, does it produce some decidedly phenolic aromatics, bordering on the type of smells from a contaminant yeast?
Will that mellow out with time?
Also, any tips for the future on getting the high attenuation I always try for and fail with Saisons and Belgians in general.
I read in Brew Like A Monk that some of these Belgians breweries are getting an upwards of 90%+ attenuation! Is that a matter of closely monitored temps or what?
Thanks for any insights.
matt

3711 is a monster, and a forgiving one at that. Expect great attenuation, a low FG, room temp (70s) is fine. I dont tend to smell after 12 hours, so I can't comment on that.

I had a saison ferment down to 1.000 with this yeast. You shouldn't have any problems getting high attenuation as long as you keep temps above 70 or so.

I've had some serious platic-like smells come out of beers using this yeast during the first couple days of fermentation. But a coulple weeks later when checking gravity the spell was completely gone.

I have experienced sulfur from the air lock during ferment with 3711, not really unusual for any Belgian style yeast. Can't say I've documented when it occurred. My ferment regimen this yeast is: pitch at 65, let free rise to 70 or heat to 70. Once FG has been reached, lower slowly back to 60. 4 Batches fermented last summer and every single one went down to 1.000. Starting gravities ranged from 1.042 up to 1.067.

Back