best DRY yeast for malty American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gengis

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am going to brew a gluten-free American-style IPA. I've tried Nottingham in the past, but I find that the high attenuation leaves barely any malty character (it finishes too dry for my taste). Although I'm not a fan of fruity/spicy notes associated with Belgian yeast.

Any suggestion?
Thanks!

Hi all,

I am going to brew a gluten-free American-style IPA. I've tried Nottingham in the past, but I find that the high attenuation leaves barely any malty character (it finishes too dry for my taste). Although I'm not a fan of fruity/spicy notes associated with Belgian yeast.

Any suggestion?
Thanks!

I'm not sure if it is gluten-free, but you might want to check out Safale S-04

Thanks, but isn't S04 a high-attenuation yeast? I really am looking for residual sweetness (malty finish...).

S-04 is a medium attenuation yeast. It can go crazy at low temps, though. If you're not careful, it will leave a lot of fruitiness behind.

I us S-05 in my IPAs. I also tend to mash higher with 05 as it does really attenuate if you go in the 149-150 range.

Danstar Windsor is known for leaving beer fairly sweet and malty if that's what you're going for. It's supposedly not a great flocculator though.

S-04 is a medium attenuation yeast. It can go crazy at low temps, though. If you're not careful, it will leave a lot of fruitiness behind.

In your experience, what do you find you get with low temps?

I have only done one batch with S-O4. It came out too fruity for me and I fermented at 63. Is this what you were getting at? I was hoping it was a fluke because I'm going to try another S-O4 batch soon.

In your experience, what do you find you get with low temps?

I have only done one batch with S-O4. It came out too fruity for me and I fermented at 63. Is this what you were getting at? I was hoping it was a fluke because I'm going to try another S-O4 batch soon.

Yup, that's what I was getting at. I find the esters aren't as bad a bit higher.

I love S-04. Use it all the time but I make sure the ferment temps don't drop below 65.

I have been using S04 a LOT recently because of the malty backbone it leaves behind. For a dry yeast, its the best you're gonna get.

I've just done a side by side of USO5 and SO4 in an IPA.

While O4 does come off as more malty it seemed to wash out the flavour a bit. It didn't accentuate the hops at all - the level of hop aroma was about half as the O5 batch. They were pretty similar at the end of the day but the O5 batch was a lot softer and rounder in flavour.

It's hard to explain but while the O4 batch was maltier the O5 batch had better malt flavour even though it was hoppier overall.

I'd go for SO5 and mash in the high range to leave some residuals.

Hope that helps.

shecky said:

GAH!!!!

I wish I'd seen this on Tuesday. Just did my first IPA with -04 (I usually use & looooooove -05) and it absolutely ravished my beer with a fast & furious fermentation at 63 degrees. I haven't sampled it yet--gonna raise the temp to upper 60s through the weekend before I test FG even though the krausen has already fallen. Fortunately, I like a fruity IPA well enough. Thanks for the heads up!

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

denimglen said:
I've just done a side by side of USO5 and SO4 in an IPA.

While O4 does come off as more malty it seemed to wash out the flavour a bit. It didn't accentuate the hops at all - the level of hop aroma was about half as the O5 batch. They were pretty similar at the end of the day but the O5 batch was a lot softer and rounder in flavour.

It's hard to explain but while the O4 batch was maltier the O5 batch had better malt flavour even though it was hoppier overall.

I'd go for SO5 and mash in the high range to leave some residuals.

Hope that helps.

Wow... That's odd! I suppose you used the exact hop profile in both batches? Are you able to be more precise in the flavor profile?

Thanks!

Wow... That's odd! I suppose you used the exact hop profile in both batches? Are you able to be more precise in the flavor profile?

Thanks!

Beers were exactly the same wort, just split into two fermenters, dry hopped the same too. Recipe was the Union Jack IPA clone that can be found here or from The Brewing Network

A direct copy and paste from my quick notes so excuse my laziness to correct the errors :p

Both beers have a light haze, SO4 is slight clearer may be due to hopping in the kegs though so disregard. Color seems slightly lighter in SO5 version, probably due to suspended material. Head size and retention is pretty much the same.

SO5 - Much stronger hop aroma, good citrus kick with some simcoe and amarillo coming in late, malt character comes up as beer warms, low caramel notes.

SO4 -Aroma comes off a little more 'sweaty', malt more at the forefront with some bready, husky notes. Also some light alcohol notes in aroma.

SO5 Flavour is good, slightly less malt character than the real thing, good hop flavour, mostly citrus and hop oil flavours, lightly sweet start into a balanced bitterness.

SO4 Very similar in initial flavour, difference is are more in the aftertaste, nectarine type flavours in finish. Flavour feels a little more empty and harsh in this beer, SO5 version seems 'softer', SO4 comes off as slightly more bitter also. SO4 has some peppery notes.

SO4 version comes off as being thinner even though the OG is higher? - somewhat accenuated by the slighly lesser flavour level.

Overall - surprised at how similar the yeasts are in this beer. Neither matches up to the other homebrew of this beer I've had that use 1968. Would really need to do a test using a lighter flavoured beer, So5 is better due to a rounder flavour giving less harshness but wouldn't hesitate to use SO4 if I was forced to. Would be interesting to do a side by side with SO5 and 1968 given the chance.

Thanks for posting your notes, denim glen. I know this is slightly OT, but have you used 1968? I'm brewing a Fuller's ESB clone soon and am considering 1968 but haven't used it. I'd appreciate any insight you might have!

For an IPA, you just can't go wrong with S-05. I like 04 for my stouts and browns, but pretty much everything else, 05 is my house champ.

Thanks for posting your notes, denim glen. I know this is slightly OT, but have you used 1968? I'm brewing a Fuller's ESB clone soon and am considering 1968 but haven't used it. I'd appreciate any insight you might have!

1968 is the Fuller's yeast strain so it will be perfect for that beer.

1968 is awesome. It's much like the English version of SO5/1056/001 in the sense that it always works and is easy to use. It's not as strong in character as some of the other English yeasts but it's brewhouse friendliness makes up for that IMO.

Brew strong!

denimglen said:
1968 is the Fuller's yeast strain so it will be perfect for that beer.

1968 is awesome. It's much like the English version of SO5/1056/001 in the sense that it always works and is easy to use. It's not as strong in character as some of the other English yeasts but it's brewhouse friendliness makes up for that IMO.

Brew strong!

Thanks! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear!

Back