Commercial Beer in Corny Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zixxer10R

Reaction score
So i recently found out that my kegerator can hold a combination of 1 "new" style 1/6th Sankey keg and one Corny, OR 2 Corny's.

Rahr uses either converted 5 gallon corny's, or the new style 1/6th Sankey which is about 1/4" bigger in diameter than a Corny.

My question to you all is this: Which other brewers, who sell kegs, fill converted Corny's or the 1/6th Sankey i spoke of before? If i ever let my homebrew pipeline slack i want to know which guys i can go buy to bide time until my pipeline is back up and running?

Most of my local breweries are happy to fill a standard ball-lock Corny for around 50 bucks. They usually fill kegs on Fridays, so it's best to drop it off Thursday night or earlier in the week and pick it up Friday afternoon.

Well I am sure each brewery has their own schedule but I know some of them will do it for you. You have to make arrangements ahead of time.

I appreciate your inputs guys, but the ABC laws here in TX require a distributer to be in between me and the actual brewery.

This may require input from guys only in TX, or at least someone familiar with the laws...

Right -- breweries in Texas cannot sell directly or fill your containers.

I have seen Rahr kegs at bars in Fort Worth that look to be corny kegs. They are pretty beat up and worn which suggests they have been in use for a while and are not the newer sanke kegs. I'm not sure if Rahr sells those kegs through any bottle shops. Your best place to look is probably majestic (or specs, when they open in Dallas).

I'm looking for places other than Rahr that does this type of thing. Rahr has good stuff but it's not groundbreaking for particularly exciting.

It would be pretty easy to fill a corny from a sankey with a jumper line and spunding valve. Same way you transfer corny to corny, slightly different hardware. Just set the hardware up for $30 in 5 minutes and then buy what you want in Sanky.

I'm guessing my post was way too vague because i haven't gotten a response that answered my question posed yet.

I'm not looking for a way to transfer commercial beer to a corny, i'm not looking to find Rahr brews in Sankey-converted corny kegs.

I AM, however, looking for OTHER breweries that provide the liquor stores (since TABC laws prohibit direct purchase) with kegs that have either been converted from Ball/Pin lock, or are the new Sankey 1/6th barrels that are only 1/4" larger in diameter.

OP: I know of a bottle shop that sells cornies of Rahr, Deschutes, Sam Adams, Pilsner Urquell, Breckenridge (I think), and several others (can't remember off the top of my head).

Where is this shop Rosewater? I'm really interested in Deschutes and Breck...

I'm guessing my post was way too vague because i haven't gotten a response that answered my question posed yet.

Your post is clear. I was wondering if you were intentionally limiting yourself to an extremely small segment of the commercial beer market when there was a 5 minute workaround that would let you buy whatever you want.

Apparently you are.

It's the principle of the matter really. If i wanted to go through the trouble of rigging something up i wouldn't have posted the thread.

Obviously i don't.

I can get Boulder Beer, New Belgium, Oskar Blues, Sierra Nevada, Ska and Deschutes in 5 gallon kegs.

Those 5 gallon kegs, are they standard 1/6th barrels or are they converted Corny's?

Oskar Blues would be pretty interesting actually. Especially their porter.

Most of my local breweries are happy to fill a standard ball-lock Corny for around 50 bucks. They usually fill kegs on Fridays, so it's best to drop it off Thursday night or earlier in the week and pick it up Friday afternoon.

Who all do you know in Portland that will fill a Corny?

Back