Could you use your Electric BK like a RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bf514921

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just a thought. instead of building a seperate Rims coul you use an electric boil kettle if you kept the wort at a high enough level and circulating, anyone try it? just a thought. i have an electric bk and hlt and was pondering a rimms build, but started thinking, di i really need another element or not. just a thought, figured i would throw it out there and see what happend

I did the exact thing when I started. I used a cooler MLT and pumped out of the bk for recirculation. It wasn't electric, but I would fire up the burner to maintain mash temp. I still pump out of the bk with a RIMS. It's like a grant. The MLT drains, via gravity, into the BK and I pump out of there. So yes, it can be done.

Doesn't seem practical. The RIMS isn't that much of a cost and doesnt require you to continue staring at the level of your pot to make sure you don't go lower than your element.

Just a thought. instead of building a seperate Rims coul you use an electric boil kettle if you kept the wort at a high enough level and circulating, anyone try it? just a thought. i have an electric bk and hlt and was pondering a rimms build, but started thinking, di i really need another element or not. just a thought, figured i would throw it out there and see what happend

If instead of using your Boil Kettle you use your Hot Liquor Tank to do this you have a HERMS Brewery.

I have a two tank system and do just this. It works incredibly well. Rig is in the signature.

The one concern is letting the wort level drop below the elements. If you set it up correctly,though, this is not an issue.

Joshua

I have been lurking for sometime to gain knowledge for my own build. Simplicity is the goal for my build.
Anyways, maybe someone can enlighten me on this....now to relate to the OP it is my question as to what are the drawbacks to me eliminating a RIMS tube and placing a RTD and heating element in my MLT? Obviously use a pump to recirculate and a PID controller to maintain correct temperatures.

In a RIMS set up I have concerns that the temperature of the mash in the MLT may not be accurate due to the fact that the RTD is located in the RIMS tube. Wouldn't it make more sense to put the RTD in the MLT?

Also I apologize if this topic has been ran into the ground or discussed already. I'm still a grasshopper!

to relate to the OP it is my question as to what are the drawbacks to me eliminating a RIMS tube and placing a RTD and heating element in my MLT? Obviously use a pump to recirculate and a PID controller to maintain correct temperatures.

An element directly in the mash will likely scorch the grain and give you some bad flavors.

In a RIMS set up I have concerns that the temperature of the mash in the MLT may not be accurate due to the fact that the RTD is located in the RIMS tube. Wouldn't it make more sense to put the RTD in the MLT?

RIMS (or HERMS with probe at output of the coil) are monitoring and maintaining the temp of the wort that is going back into the top of your MLT. If you keep that return at your set temp, and you keep circulating, the whole of the mash will be at the set temp with some minor variation.

When I first built my HERMS, I wanted to see how accurate things were, so I put two thermometers in the MLT. One was a digital probe in a thermowell near the top of the grain bed. The other was a glass thermometer that I put directly into the mash and pushed it down so that the tip was sitting on the false bottom in the MLT.

And, of course, there was also the temp readout from the probe at the return to the MLT as a third reference.

During my mash, I checked all three thermometers every 10 minutes or so to see how things looked.

The largest difference I ever saw between the three thermometers was 1*F. That satisfied my curiosity about whether my probe location was getting the job done.

In general, you want the probe near, but AFTER, the heat source so that you don't overshoot. For RIMS, this is the RIMS heater output. For HERMS, this is either the HERMS coil output or directly in the MLT.

Ok it seems like the temperature variance measured at different locations isn't enough to be of concern.

So if it is a matter of scorching the grain and producing bad flavors as a result....what if your heating element was placed under the false bottom in the MLT?

what if your heating element was placed under the false bottom in the MLT?

I suppose that would work. I mean, it's basically the same thing as RIMS:
- liquid passes through grain
- liquid runs past a heater
- liquid returns to top of grain

Your "RIMS heater" in this case is the the bottom 2" or so of the MLT.

It might be a pain in the butt to clean it out when you are done though. At the end of the mash and sparge, you'd have a MLT loaded with wet grain that you need to dump out, and that MLT is connected to a power cable. Makes it a little less convenientto drag it away and dump it somewhere.

One other potential issue is that your heater in this case has a LOT of volume. A rims tube or a HERMS coil contain maybe a pint of wort? Yours would contain considerably more, so you might have to mash MUCH thinner than you normally do.

What kind of MLT do you have? A cooler or something metal?

I agree with your point in regards to that a RIMS tube would be possibly easier to clean than a MLT.

My MLT is a 5 gallon stainless vessel.

I agree with your point in regards to that a RIMS tube would be possibly easier to clean than a MLT.

My MLT is a 5 gallon stainless vessel.

Phew... I think you would have a hard time doing it in that size of MLT if you are making 5 gallon batches.

Isn't that MLT often filled to the very tippy-top when you brew? You'd have to raise the false bottom 2 inches or so to get the heater element in there, and would thus need a couple more inches of water to compensate.

Can you fit that in there?

So if it is a matter of scorching the grain and producing bad flavors as a result....what if your heating element was placed under the false bottom in the MLT?

I attempted this myself, and as Walker pointed out the major issue is you have to have a much thinner mash (i.e. higher water/grain ration). He also points out the larger volume being heated, but using a 4500 or 5500w ld or uld element would take care of that issue.

I originally wanted to do a single vessel system to mimic the speidels braumeister to keep it very streamlined and a "simpler" brew day.

That said, scubasteve is running with a single vessel system, and he is doing as you propose (although his setup has gone WAY PAST simple :) ).

He is utilizing a large steamer basket and fine SS mesh screen, with SS bolts on the bottom of the basket to keep it off of the heater element.

But as Walker pointed out, your big issue is you will need a much larger MLT than 5 gallon, even if you are not doing a no-sparge setup a la scubasteve.

Good luck.

:mug:

Related to both the OP question (I do a no sparge setup when using my BK as a RIMS element), and the more recent one: What is the issue with a thin mash?

I regularly mash in at 4 qt/lb and have never noticed any discernible effect. I also read through the science, and determined that there are a lot of opinions on this topic (like any topic), and not a whole lot of scientific information.

Phew... I think you would have a hard time doing it in that size of MLT if you are making 5 gallon batches.
I guess i failed to add that I am only doing 2.5 gallon batches

I have also followed the build of Scubasteve, which I think is very cool and have gotten some very good ideas from also.

Back