1 inch NPT element sought

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcbrew

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a UK brewer searching for a 3kw/240v heating element with a 1 inch NPT thead. I have searched google but can only find elements with NPSM threads. Can anyone out there help?

Cheers!

Watlow makes the kind of heaters you are looking for, they are based in the states but have worldwide distribution offices. you can download catalongs and spec sheets from their website.

I have never seen a NPT heating element... I think they are standard at NPSM. Bargain Fittings sells the nut to fit them.

The heating element has National straight threads. But they will thread into a NPT half coupler usually one inch size. The gasket on the element will seal against the coupler. No worries Mate.

Dominus Vobiscum

Swagman:cool:

I've tried 3 different elements and have yet to get one into a 1" half coupling.

Just my experience.

P.d.

This is why they sell the straight thread nuts. I have nver had any luck with anything else either.

I've tried 3 different elements and have yet to get one into a 1" half coupling.

Just my experience.

P.d.
I have built several electric HLT's over the years for other brewers and as said before no Problem
Here is a couple of pictures of an old element and half coupler off and threaded on
MVC-739S.jpg

MVC-738S.jpg

I do make my own half coupler's by cutting a full coupler in half and tig welding in HLT.

Dominus Vobiscum

Swagman:cool:

I use the 1" 1/2 coupling all the time in HLT's for electric elements. They can be a bit of a pain, but they work just fine for all I have built. I do think I am going to try the locknut next time I do a HLT build though.
Jay

again, like i posted earlier, watlow makes heaters with NPT threads..... we use them at my work all of the time.

The thread in my MiniBrew HLT is NPT. Over here the standard is BSP. When I ordered the unit, I didn't really invisage that an inch really wasn't the same in the UK and the US. The problem I have, is not not knowing the names of places in the US to look for these products. I have found ideal heaters in the US, but the thread is NPSM!

I will check out the elements mentioned and the ideas. They are a lot cheaper than the immersion heater elements and more suited to what I want.

Cheers!

Camco sell elements that are 1 inch and NPT. Oddily enough you can buy them on Amazon.com. If only I knew earlier :)

Camco, really? Link? My Camco is straight thread....

Wow, that Watlow has 120V up to 3KW. Never seen that before...
That's because it would draw 25 amps, which is beyond the limit of most household circuits. Plugging that into a standard wall outlet would immediately blow the breaker. Ideally, you'd use a DEDICATED circuit designed to handle up to about 40 amps.

I e-mailed them and asked whether it was NPT or NPSM and they said it was NPT. What more can I do :)

That's because it would draw 25 amps, which is beyond the limit of most household circuits. Plugging that into a standard wall outlet would immediately blow the breaker. Ideally, you'd use a DEDICATED circuit designed to handle up to about 40 amps.

Well, yes of course, that's obvious.

It would also require 10 gauge wire. That's why 240V is used - only 16 gauge would be needed to do the same amount of work (3KW). I was just pondering what application would need this...

I brew in the UK and I am assuming that elements are pretty universal. My current element for my boiler is a pretty standard British kettle element, 2.4 KW at 240v. I didn't want to exceed 13 amps, so a 3Kw element at 240V would be 12.5 amps. Indeed many of the fast boil kettles over here are 3Kw, so that is my reasoning for going with this option.

Back