Aerate when racking to yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal simmons

Reaction score
Are you supposed to (or is it necessary to) aerate your beer when racking onto a yeast cake? As i understand it the oxygen it to provide the yeast fuel during the multiplication stage before going into the fermentation stage. If you're racking onto a cake, don't they go straight into fermenting the beer?

When racking onto a substantial, recently active yeast cake, aeration isn't very necessary. A little splashing might not hurt, but I wouldn't worry about shaking the carboy, using an aquarium pump, or adding supplemental O2.

hal simmons said:
Are you supposed to (or is it necessary to) aerate your beer when racking onto a yeast cake? As i understand it the oxygen it to provide the yeast fuel during the multiplication stage before going into the fermentation stage. If you're racking onto a cake, don't they go straight into fermenting the beer?

While true your yeast won't need to reproduce you are not making the best beer you could. A yeast reproduction phase is necessary to get yeast flavours imparted to the beer. That is why there are yeast pitching rates. Use the calculator at: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html to determine how muc of your yeast cake to use.

GT

Back