SMaSH hops suggestions wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixt3

Reaction score
Background - newb, currently have 3rd coopers kit in primary.... going to learn AG by BIAB, using smaller (10-15 litre) batches of SMaSH. KISS is key

I am going to buy a sack of 2-row grain, and quite likely 2 1-pound bags of hops, to take advantage of bulk purchase (I am a cheapazz) So, my question is : which two hops should I get? I am thinking two varieties that would be able to provide enough difference in SMaSH, as well as complementary if used together. I am looking for options and combos with frugality and KISS in mind. I have read that some of the grain can be home-roasted to add some flavour complexity and variety, but basically I am looking to keep things, well, basic :)

I am the first to admit I know next to nothing about beer..... preferences are lighter beers, honey ales.... I may get a small amount of honey malt grain or crystal, to expand after a few SMaSH batches....

I hope this post is not too vague in what is being asked.
thanks for any suggestions

Start with any of the "c" hops as they all play nicely and do o.k. on their own (except maybe citra). I'd suggest Cascade and Centennial.

I think noble hops are also good, depending on what types of beers you like to drink. Fuggles, Saaz, etc

Columbus is a great bittering and aroma hop - Centennial being another.

One base grain, two hop varieties? Kind of limits your SMaSH possibilities. If experimenting is your intent you need more. Munich, Pils, Maris Otter, American 2-row, Wheat . . . different maltsters.

And hops, well that’s a really long list.

You’re going to need variety if you want to learn what contributes what. Save buying in bulk until your SMaSH beers have taught you those lessons.

Oh and don’t forget yeast. SMaSH isn’t as simple as it sounds.

Jipper said:
Columbus is a great bittering and aroma hop - Centennial being another.

I second this. Columbus is cheap too so would definitely be a good choice.

I just tasted my Mosaic/ 2 Row SMaSH last night for the first time and it was awesome!

I've done a lot of 2 Row SMaSH's and used Citra (awesome), Simcoe (awesome) and Sorachi Ace (not so good). I used Maris Otter with Citra and it was good too.

For yeast I usually use WLP001, 090 or 060.

I have learned a lot from making these! Have fun with it and experiment!

Cheers,
Mpjay

If you guys are throwing around the C-words then be brave and do what nobody does, except me I guess, and use some Cluster!! The oldest American hop!! Baseball, Apple Pie and Cluster hops!:D

I love cluster too,very graddad-ish in the eyes of some,a clasic in the eyes of others

Get something that's flvaorful enough to use as a late addition, and strong enough to use early in the boil as a bittering hop. Having that bittering option is especially useful if you end up not liking the flavor. Columbus is probably your best option for value, but Centennial and Simcoe are good choices too. Of course, I don't know what kind of beer you like.

Back