Using dry enzyme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishy90

Reaction score
Hey all, just after a helping hand if anyone knows. I have recently put on a black rock dry lagar extract brew which included a dry enzyme I used 1.3kg dextrose and 200g corn syrup and fermented at about 28 degrees but it turned out sweet as &$@& and almost tasted like it was mixed with dry white wine, wondering where I stuffed up?

Hey all, just after a helping hand if anyone knows. I have recently put on a black rock dry lagar extract brew which included a dry enzyme I used 1.3kg dextrose and 200g corn syrup and fermented at about 28 degrees but it turned out sweet as &$@& and almost tasted like it was mixed with dry white wine, wondering where I stuffed up?

It was a sachet of dry enzyme that came in the tin along with a sachet of yeast I'm not exactly sure what type of it was sorry

Enzyme was amylase probably, breaks down the starches in the brew to take the beer really dry (.996-.998 F.G>.) and in a brew with that much corn sugar and dextrose it's gonna taste a little winey for a good while. As per usual an exact recipe and process would better pinpoint why it tastes like it does, but that's the only thing I can think of.

Ah ok I am still quite new to home brewing hence i am still just using tins and what they come with really. I am hoping to make a dry beer like a carlton dry or extra dry but with a little more alcohol than commercial but with out this winey taste do you have any ideas?

well, using all malt extract goes a long way, with the amylase enzyme the dextrose/corn sugar are kinda redundant and only to boost gravity to make it stronger in alc%. I'd say use more malt extract, corn sugar can be used to boost gravity but I'd go with something like rice syrup solids or even honey to boost the percentage if you wanna go that route. Pretty much the amylase will take an all malt recipe that low anyways so I'd suggest just using malt and hittin it with the enzyme for a little more Alc% and to dry it out after primary fermentation is complete. The other thing would be to actually lager the beer for a few months at near-freezing temperatures before bottling, on the other side i'd bottle, let them prime, and then store them in the fridge for a month or so, you'll notice a difference in taste by then at least.

Sounds almost like u made an eisbock instead of just a lager. The only time ive ever heard of keeping the temp that low was with that style of beer. [...]

Eisbock? More like Saison: the OP fermented at a toasty 28 degrees Centrigrade which is in the low 80s F...

Cheers!

I'm not sure of the FG as I usually leave it to ferment for two weeks or more depending on my spare time and I put it straight to a clearing cube killing the yeast and stopping the fernentation then to a keg. Should it be at a higher temp than 28degrees? Thanks all for ur help so far

I'm not sure of the FG as I usually leave it to ferment for two weeks or more depending on my spare time and I put it straight to a clearing cube killing the yeast and stopping the fernentation then to a keg. Should it be at a higher temp than 28degrees? Thanks all for ur help so far

If this is 28C, that's about 12 degrees (C) too high. That, combined with the huge amount of dextrose along with corn syrup is a big problem.

If you post the whole recipe, we can help you fix it for next time. This batch is probably unfixable.

Yup it was at 28degrees C the ingredients used were 1.3 kg dextrose,200grams corn syrup and a black rock dry lagar tin which included a yeast and a dry enzyme sachet, it may be easier for me to try a new recipe rather than make this one taste the way I want. Does anyone know a recipe for carlton dry?

Latest posts

Back