So I have this Digital Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bean5446

Reaction score
I am a coffee roaster and all around coffee nerd, so I, obviously, have access to a digital hydrometer we use to check the density of suspended particulate in our different brewed, pressed, extracted coffee. My question is, can I use this in some fashion to check the SG of my first cider attempt and see when it's done fermenting? I wasn't reminded that we had it until after getting my cider started so I have no idea what it started as. Is my goal 1.000 or near there? Thanks again!

Yeah usually you'll end up below 1.00, or roughly in there. I don't see why your Hydro wouldn't work, just set up a simple experiment to be sure. Pure water should be 1.00 and then just stir up some sugar into water and measure with both devices. If it works they should read the same. Does your Hydrometer automatically correct for temperature? If so that is the Cat's Meow :D. As for your OG, if you used regular orchard cider it usually comes in between 1.045 to 1.050. I have had 1.047 for 2 years in a row now using my apples and some from a farm mixed.

Yeah, it actually does correct for temperature automatically. I don't have a normal hydrometer to compare to though. I'll test out mine with sugars and water. Thanks!

bean5446 said:
Yeah, it actually does correct for temperature automatically. I don't have a normal hydrometer to compare to though. I'll test out mine with sugars and water. Thanks!

Yeah you can just make a mix, I think table sugar is 46 points per pound per gallon? So it should give you 1.046, I think. Actually it should be perfectly fine I think, post the make and model and we'll know for sure.

Well, it turns out I've been mis-informed all along. What I have is not called a hydrometer, it is a Total Dissolved Solids meter. Great for measuring brew strength in coffee, I would guess fairly useless in the world of cider brewing. :)

bean5446 said:
Well, it turns out I've been mis-informed all along. What I have is not called a hydrometer, it is a Total Dissolved Solids meter. Great for measuring brew strength in coffee, I would guess fairly useless in the world of cider brewing. :)

That was my concern ;) which is why I posted about the make and model. From your explanation I was guessing that it could have been something of that nature.

Too bad though. A digital self correcting Hydrometer would be awesome :D.

Back