noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontherun987

Reaction score
I am new to the forum, My dad and I have brewed a few coopers kits. I kind of want to strike out and try some thing new and easy. I am wondering if this recipe would work....

3lb of Munich liquid malt extract
3lb of light dry malt extract
2oz of Tettnang hops for 30 mins
with an ale yeast

Any thoughts??? :mug:

6lbs of fermentables will work
some of the hops should be 60 minutes. maybe split it 1oz 60 and 1oz in 15/5/flameout range.

you might even want to spread it out to 1/4oz at 60,30,15,Flame-out. low AA and spicy aroma make it a good finishing hop. might work good with some spice and make a pumpkin ale

Yes, this recipe will make a basic, easy, sessionable beer. I'd probably move one ounce of your Tettnang to 60 minute, though, and add an extra pound of DME. Ferment in the mid to low 60s if possible. Kolsch yeast would work well, or maybe US-05 if you want to go with a dry yeast.

Can beer be made with all liquid malts?
what happens if you do use any hops?

Thanks for all the help with the odd questions:mug:

Yes, all liquid malts can be used, as they are mostly all base malts. If you use liquid malt that is unhopped, then you'll need to use hops in the beer, otherwise it will be overly sweet. Some liquid malts are pre hopped so hops aren't necessary.

You can use either. I've only ever used pellet. I think if you use leaf hops, you need to use 10% more by weight to get the same amount of IBUs.

Back