Hob Goblin - Extract and Steep.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure what the difference is in US and UK Malt I'm sure you'll be fine.

As for ageing it doesn't take a long time to age.

I normally start tasting after 3 weeks in the keg or bottle.
The best bet is to get another brew on ASAP so you have other stuff to drink as well because I always find the last of the brew is best after a couple of months.

I glad your pleased with the recipe.
Enjoy:mug: .

I brewed this up last night as a PM, but due to an error in measurement, I wound up with an O.G. of 1.071!

I am hoping that this stays well balanced with the hops, but not optimistic.:(

FWIW I used 5lbs of grain and 6 lbs of DME. I definitely need to learn how to convert grains to extract and not overwhelm my LHBS with these recipes.

Oooh, I never saw this thread before. Thanks Orfy, this is happening next on the brew schedule I think. $13.99 per 6-pack isn't exactly affordable. 5 gallons for $30-$40 sounds better to me.

I wondered if anyone had any input on tweaking the extract recipe. I picked up supplies today in extra amounts thinking I can subtract down to the correct amounts. On hand I’ve got:

0.5 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.5 lb Crystal Malt – 50/60L
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt

6.0 Lbs of Extra Light DME
3oz Styrian Goldings pellets
3oz Fuggles pellets

Should I go with the established recipe, or had anybody found a better brew by increasing any of the levels?

orfy said:
I'm not sure what the difference is in US and UK Malt I'm sure you'll be fine.

I don't know how big a difference it might make, but my LHBS carries both. US Chocolate Malt is about 350 SRM, UK Chocolate is about 450 SRM. In the all-grain 5.5 gallon recipe that means a bump from 5oz (.33lb) of UK Chocolate to 6oz (.375lb) of US Chocolate to keep the color in the proper range. At least that's how I figured it.

Chad

I finally got around to brewing this tonight and it smells fantastic! I ended up going with:
0.4 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine Grain
0.4 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain
0.1 lb Chocolate Malt Grain

Steeped in 2 gallons of spring water at 155-170 for 30 min.

3.0lbs of extra light DME @ 00min
3.0lbs of extra light DME @ 40min

00 min into boil 1oz Styrian Goldings
00 min into boil 1oz Fuggles
30 min into boil add 1oz Styrian Goldings
30 min into boil add 1oz Fuggles
50 min into boil add 1 tsp Irish Moss
60 min into boil add 0.5oz Fuggles
60 min into boil add 0.5oz Styrian Goldings

The smell coming out of the pot was fantastic and warranted a few tastes to uh... "check progresses" The only problem I ran into was I got almost no cold break tonight. I did 2 submersion ice baths over the course of 40 min. I pulled trub up though the siphon from the get go and went until I got a hop clog with about a pint and a half left in the pot. Tragically I left it behind. Total recovery into the fermenting bucket was just shy of 2 gallons. Topped off to 5 gallons, threw in some Nottingham yeast, and mixed but adding a few more pints of water.

Thanks so much Orfy! I'm ready to start another batch based only on the brewday sampling!

Thanks, Orfy!

Just transferred my "Butchered Hobgoblin" (I just simplified it a little - mostly in Hops additions - for outdoor brewing) to secondary on Sunday, and it is DELICIOUS. We brewed 10 gal of it, split between myself and a coworker.

Cheers!

Thanks Orfy! Ummm...I mean Bah Humbug but darn it I already have so many recipes I want to try and you just added to the list!
You guys are filling up my 2008 brew schedule fast. :mug:

I'm glad that I found this thread. I was just drinking a Hobgoblin and thinking, "I can make this stuff."

After fiddling with the original recipe in BeerSmith, I'm with the other Yanks, and am rounding out the recipe to suit my units and weighing capabilities. I'm not going to try weighing something like 3.2 oz. of Chocolate Malt or 0.88 oz. of Fuggles. I came up with this for the grain bill and hop schedule.

-- Steep Specialty Grains
5 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain
6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain
3 oz. US Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain

Boil for 60 min Start to Boil
8 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract
1 oz Styrian Goldings [5.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops
1 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops
30 min into boil Add 1 oz Styrian Goldings [5.00%] (30 min)
30 min into boil Add 1 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (30 min)
50 min into boil Add 1 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
60 min into boil Add 0.5 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)
60 min into boil Add 0.5 oz Styrian Goldings [4.50%] (60 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)

Gedvondur and I decided we'd give the Hobgoblin a try (steep/extract version), but our favorite mail-order place is currently out of Fuggles and Styrian Goldings. Our second-favorite place has some whole leaf Yakima Goldings, but other than that they're in tough shape too. The LHBS apparently doesn't have hops anymore :-(. We're down to two batches of beer in the pipeline, and it's prime beer drinking season so we can't afford to wait.

We *can* get Willamette hops, and HopUnion claims they're a possible substitute for both Fuggles and Styrian Goldings. Would we do this beer a disservice by using the Willamette?

I do have an ounce and change of Kent Golding sealed up in the fridge so that's available. Would that be a better choice to use as the final aroma hop than another ounce of Willamette?

I decided that we'll try the Willamette hops and call it either Kobold ale if it's too weak or Ogre ale if it's really, really hoppy.

Looking to adjust the IBU's to the 25 target that was recommended, two programs (beertools, realbeer's calculator) show the final IBU's with 100% 5% Willamette around 34--counting the 1.115 boil SG. This is close enough to adjust once I get the actual AA's on the pellets.

However, using a late DME addition would allow cutting the hops in *half*. Is this really stupid? As an extract brewer whose pot scorches everything, I keep thinking there's no reason to add DME early--*and* it will save some hops for the rest of you. But at the same time, it seems everyone else is using the high hop load and boil gravity. Does the beer pick up more flavor that way?

I'm putting in the order for the hops tonight; if we do the late malt addition perhaps I'll have 2.5 oz of Willamette pellets for trade :)

Scotty_g said:
counting the 1.115 boil SG.

:drunk: That's a helluva hobgoblin. You might wanna check those gravity numbers, Hobgoblin should be more in the 1.050 range.

I don't know beansicles about extract late vs early additions, but if you can save 1/2 the hops by adding it late, then I think you're on to something. What's the worst case scenario? You get beer that doesn't taste exactly like Hobgoblin, but should still be good. :)

fwiw the recipe for Hob Goblin is

90% Marris Otter
7% Crystal
3% Torrified Wheat.

the abv is currently 5.2% for the bottled version and iirc 5.0 for the cask

Hops are fuggles and styrians to 28 IBU

(i'd use fuggles for bittering and styrians for finishing)

(EDIT, beersmith will convert if for you although I think there's a bug when converting from metric to imperial to extract so I wont post the recipe I ended up with as the gravity went from 1052 to 1062)

orfy said:
I don't think you'll notice any if much taste difference.

Bear with me as I'm very much a newcomer, but I'm confident I could brew this as have brewed with LME and steeping grains before. I would be doing a 5 UK gallon boil, any idea how much reduction in the hop proportions this would result in?

Cheers

chriso said:
:drunk: That's a helluva hobgoblin. You might wanna check those gravity numbers, Hobgoblin should be more in the 1.050 range.

That's the calculated boil gravity with a 2.5-gallon boil. Diluting it to 5 gallons would bring it down to 1.057. If it really did have a 1.115 OG, I'd need a lot more than 5 oz of Willamette to balance that out...although that would be a beer you'd need to drink sitting down.

Thanks a million for the suggestion to try out beersmith. I had forgotten about that software. I was able to tune up the recipe for an OG of 1.056 and 27 IBU's as recommended with late DME addition:

Steep @ 160 F for 30 minutes in 1.7 gal water:
0.375 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.33 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.20 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)

Rinse w/1 gallon water @ 160 F.

Bring to a boil and add:
2.1 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)

With 15 minutes left in the boil, pull off the heat and add (keep timer running):
4.2 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
1 tsp Irish Moss

Hops:
1.00 oz Williamette [4.60 %] (60 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [4.60 %] (30 min) Hops 7.0 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [4.60 %] (0 min) Hops -

Cool to 83 F, add 66 F water to make 5 gallons, add:
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale (bloomed in warm sterile water).

We oxygenated it but less than normal because our tank ran empty.

It smelled really wonderful; I think the hop sub will come out just fine. The wort that cleared from the trub has a fairly strong bitter/roasty flavor, but that's undiluted. It doesn't seem like the bitterness is too sharp or spicy, just mellow.

We'll see how it turns out, but I think I'm going to be a big fan of this beer.

Orfy,
Just regarding the last hop edition in this recipe. Are the hops added after you take the wort off the boil and left in while the wort cools??

Thanks,

Mez

It smells wonderful..just hope I can survive long enough to drink it before the wife kills me for ruining her utility room!!!!
image004ub3.jpg

:mug::cross::)

Hob Goblin

Brew Type: Extract
Style: English Old Ale
Batch Size: 5 Gal Boil Volume: 2.5
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewing Steps Check Time Step
-- Clean and prepare equipment.
-- Measure ingredients, crush grains.
-- Prepare 5.5 gal water for brewing
-- Steep Specialty Grains
0.37 lb or 5.92 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain
0.33 lb or 5.28 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain
0.2 lb or 3.2 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain
-- Add water to achieve boil volume of 2.5 gal
-- Estimated Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.115 SG with all grains/extracts added
Boil for 60 min Start to Boil
7.67 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) or 6.14 lb DME Extract
0.88 oz Styrian Goldings [5.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops
0.88 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops
30 min into boil Add 0.88 oz Styrian Goldings [5.00%] (30 min)
30 min into boil Add 0.88 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (30 min)
50 min into boil Add 1 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
60 min into boil Add 0.42 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)
60 min into boil Add 0.42 oz Styrian Goldings [4.50%] (60 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)
-- Cool wort to fermentation temperature
-- Add 3 gallons water (as needed) to achieve volume of 5 gallons
-- Siphon wort to primary fermenter and aerate wort.
-- Add Ingredients to Fermenter
Amount Item Type 1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale
20/12/2006 Measure Original Gravity: ________ (Estimate: 1.056 SG)
20/12/2006 Measure Batch Volume: ________ (Estimate: 5 Gallons)
7 days Ferment in primary for 7 days at 68*F
27/12/2006 Transfer to Secondary Fermenter
14 days Ferment in secondary for 14 days at 68*F
10/01/2007 Measure Final Gravity: ________ (Estimate: 1.013 SG)
-- Bottle beer at 60*F with 3.42 oz of dried malt extract.
Age for 3.0 Weeks at 59* F
Sample and enjoy!
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 50.0

Thanks for the quick conversion, this looks like a nice easy (and relatively cheap) way to step outside of the kits.

Might be my 2nd brew :O thanks.

Nice, I had my first taste of actual Hobgoblin on draught this past Friday night at the British Beer Company (BBC!) in Walpole, MA -- it was nice! I also had a cask conditioned ale, made by Berkshire brewing, was low on the carbonation and hops, served around 50F, and I thought it was pretty yummy, too. The Hobgoblin got my interest, though -- I think a slightly sweeter version -for my taste -would be perfect, although I thoroughly enjoyed it as served.

:off: Walpole, eh?! I grew-up in Medfield

Just bottled this and had a quick taste while I was doing so!! it's amazing tastes as good as the real thing!! thanks Orfy I'm throwing my recipe book away and just making this from now on.
Mez.

I've made this with Nottingham, S-04, and White Labs Burton Ale so far.... Of them, my favorite was the Burton Ale, but it didn't taste like Hobgoblin proper, just delicious. Notty and S-04 both make a great replication of the intended beer, with hints of dark fruits.

I like mine sweeter with honey and apple notes, which the Burton gives it.

I have the same question. Can you recommend an alternate to the Danstar Nottingham yeast?

Edit: Oops, the reply above snuck in!

So I cracked my first bottle after 3 weeks in the bucket fermenter and 1 week in the bottle. Good news: it's definitely beer, bad news: it's flavor is nearly flat.

Will the flavor develop significantly over the next 2-5 weeks in the bottle? I know recommended is 3 weeks in primary fermenter, 3 weeks in the bottle. I just want to try a bottle each week of the bottle ferment to see how things change.

YES. It definitely will. Hobgoblin clone tastes pretty one-dimensional until it's properly carbed and acclimated. Once it hits 4 weeks or so, all of a sudden, BAM. It all comes together.

YES. It definitely will. Hobgoblin clone tastes pretty one-dimensional until it's properly carbed and acclimated. Once it hits 4 weeks or so, all of a sudden, BAM. It all comes together.

Mine is 1 week conditioning but it had 3 weeks in secondary. I'll probably carb it up in 2 weeks. I can hardly wait.

That is FANTASTIC news. I'm assuming you mean 4 weeks in the bottle. In that case I'll restrain myself from opening a test bottle each week so I can save more for that optimal time & taste.

Yeah, 3-4 weeks in the bottle, or a total of 5-7 weeks after brewing. When I keg Hg, and have had the keg on gas for 7 days, I usually take a sample, then disconnect the liquid line and let it sit on gas for 2 more weeks. The total 3 week carbonation period = fantastic Hobgoblin results.

I found hobgoblin in a local store. That stuff is fantastic! I can't wait to brew a batch, but I think I might do a partial mash using DeathBrewer's stove top method.

Does anyone have a partial mash recipe already?

Back