what am I supposed to do with this thing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bchurch

Reaction score
This one hop just wouldn't stop growing!

ForumRunner_20120808_185911.jpg

It could bring a new meaning to SMaSH. Literally a SINGLE hop, lol

Any chance that's the terminal bud? I've seen some really strange ones and this year was no different. This was the top of one of my Cascade plants. The bud started to form and the vine just kept growing. Seen this a couple times but this was the longest one.

BigBud 1.jpg

BigBud 2.jpg

Best as I can recall, most of these Chinook "angels" were at the ends of random side arms, with the few others terminal buds on the main stems. The latter were generally larger than the former...

hops_05aug2012_04.jpg

Cheers!

From the title of the original thread I wasn't sure if this was going to be a question on hops or one that is normally answered in health class?

As for the hop, what do you think you should do with it? Let it grow and then brew with it. Put a picture of the hop on your bottles.

Terminal bud huh? Learn something new everyday. This is my first good harvest growing hops and this is on my second year cascade. Planted a bit late last year so I didn't really get to many bines so this year I just let them run wild to really establish the root system.

Nice chinook!

Thats funny, I had a lot of those deformed leafy cones this year too. Its like they couldn't decide on being a cone or a leaf.

Back