Fruit Puree in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardball

Reaction score
I racked an American Wheat on to a can of Oregon Fruit raspberry puree. Once I saw that the airlock was bubbling and no oxygen was present I started swirling to rouse the fruit on the bottom.

Question: How much rousing does this need? Should I turn the thing on its side to get the fruit off the bottom, or is the odd swirl enough? I plan on keeping it in secondary for 2 weeks.

Question: How much fermentation is expected after adding the fruit? I am getting what looks like champagne bubbles rising to the top.

None! It will start fermentation shortly.

I just made a Raspberry Hefe, using Oregon Fruit Puree.

I tried the sample when I kegged two weeks ago, and it was fricken great!!!!

Ferment was medium, and it had about 1 inch of krausen form for two days, and then it layed back down. I let it sit for about 2 & 1/2 weeks fefore I kegged it up though.

Just like Ed said, you shouldn't have to swirl it. I made an apricot wheat with the oregon puree. I racked on top of the puree in the secondary. The yeast will actually mix it for you. All of the puree won't get mixed in. I had almost 2 inches of puree still in the bottom of my secondary when I went to bottle. I just left the puree behind when I racked to my bottling bucket. They have been in the bottle for about 3 weeks and have a great apricot taste. I've been thinking about doing a raspberry next, let me know how it turns out.

Hmmm...I'm racking to secondary on Saturday and never even thought of putting some fruit puree in the mix. How much should you add to get a decent amount of flavor? Will fermentation start up again after adding a new sugar to the mix?

I know it says a 'can' but what size can is that to a five gallon batch?

"a can" usually refers to one can of Oregon Fruit Puree. The larger ones not the little cans like you would get your peas and carrots in. looks about the size of the large juice cans you would pop two holes in the top and pour.

http://www.oregonfruit.com

you can usually find it at hbs, supermarkets, whole food type stores, etc.

Be aware though I have seen extreme markup at supermarkets for this stuff.

I just wracked a wheat to secondary on a can (a peas and carrots sized can <wink> ) of Oregon Blueberries this past weekend. It's thursday, and the airlock is still puttering. I'll probably keep this beer in secondary for 2 weeks before bottling.

5gB

So, I have some wheat extract, hallarteur/hersbrucker hops laying around and want to try to brew up a fruit beer to end the summer. Is one (15 ounce can at the grocery store) can of this stuff enough for 5g? Just doesn't seem like enough; 1lb to 5g of beer?

Is this stuff more potent than fresh fruit or frozen fruit? Shouldn't be as it is just pureed fruit, correct? I've heard 4lb - 8lb (vary by recipe) of fruit for a fruit wheat so wouldn't I need at least 4 15oz. cans for this?

My recipe is going to look something like this; for a 2g boil (hence what looks like a lot of hops - it's really only around 12 IBU):

5.5lb Wheat (55/45) DME
.75lb Honey
1oz. Hallarteu 60 Min
1oz. Saaz 20 Min
1oz. Hersbrucker 10 Min
Yeast TBD - Thinking just an American Ale Yeast; or I still have a packet of the Flying Dog specialty strain from Wyeast

4lb. of mixed berries (Blackberry/Boysenberry?) in secondary (4 cans?!?!)...

Comments, suggestions, answers to the puree question?
Thanks!

Ok, so a little more research turned up 49oz. cans. I assume this is what people are talking about when they say 1 can. I can get these in 15oz. at my local grocery store though, so i may just do 3-4 of these.

Would 60oz. be too much?

When adding the canned puree, it can be added straight from the can right? Doesnt need to be heated or anything I wouldn't think. And for 5 gallons, how much is recommended for a wheat beer where I dont want the raspberry to be overpowering, just a little noticeable?

This is a Zombie thread, 7 years old.
But since you asked ...
Yes - you can pour it right into the secondary.
I also gently mix it in with a spoon, and repeat the stirring a week later, because the puree settles.
The secondary fermentation lasted for a few weeks after adding teh puree.

I used a big can of Vintners Raspberry puree (3 pounds) and it gave a strong natural raspberry taste to my 5 gallons of Blonde ale.

Back